The unexpected comedy of platies

SpecialPatrolGroup

I'd been considering rehoming my platies for some time. I found them to be generally boring and gross (always poo trailing) and because I have 16 or so from various generations of fry, that's a lot of poo-trailing fish in my tank.

But they're all the same size now and I didn't realise they're proper schooling fish. And when there are 16 of them together they behave quite differently. They're really social, it's lovely. My daughter happened to glance up at the tank recently when she was tapping her fingers on the arm of her chair and all the platies were right there, stock still, just staring at her hand. Fascinated. Now, if you wiggle your fingers in front of the tank, they come tearing over from all directions to watch and they'll just keep watching as long as you do it. That's very cool.

And at any one time there are always a few staring at this one spot in the corner of the tank. I used to think it was because they were stupid but after the finger thing I've changed my view - I think they're taking the mickey. Because other fish will come over periodically and stare, too, and then swim off like, "Nope, still nothing." I like to picture the platies with each other later on, chuckling, "did you see how many we made come look *that* time?" :p

And I'm sure they watch tv. It can't be the light - they only watch the comedies :D

They've gone from being my least liked fish in the tank to in my top five!

BigManAquatics

Never found my platies QUITE that entertaining. Though while ago, we had one male platythat decided to randomly set up camp one night in the middle of the tank amd spent about a half hour chasing every single platy out of that area. Never did that before or since.

PurpleFish

Love your stories! I’ve got three platies in my classroom and they love watching the nearby students. And will follow their fingers all over the place and examine items students hold up near the tank. I’m a newbie to fish and had no idea they would be so interactive! I teach 7th-12th grade and they all love the fish!

Motherlovebetta

My two guys are nut jobs. I think one is in love with one of my female honey gourami.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
IndigoNight
Replies
Views
Fae
  • Kkelly09
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Kkelly09