The Twilight Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kinezumi89, Dec 12, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

The Twilight books appeal to a crowd different from that of the majority of FishLore. I'm assuming the 15 people who liked ZeeZ's post are not preteen females :) To each his own.

2. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I had several co-worker (far from being pre-teens) who loved the books also. It just wasn't my idea of vampires. As you say to each his own.

And now - back to the really bad jokes - darn I can't think of any :p

3. CoryCats

CoryCats Well Known Member Member

Sorry to inform you but I am not a preteen, or a teen for that matter. If it's such a joke than surely Harry Potter must be too? Or True Blood? Or any of the other books/movies/tv shows that are far from reality? But you didn't name those.

4. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Play nice children :;nin2

5. CodyJ

CodyJ Valued Member Member

The reason people like twilight is because they relate to it.its like o ya I remember when I was a vampire

6. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Moderator hat on:

Okay, folks. It's obvious that people want to have this conversation. So let's have it. But not in the joke thread. And remember to keep it polite. The moment this becomes a Hot Topic, the entire thread gets deleted. Feel free to post your opinion about the books, but don't disparage people because of their position on the series.

My personal opinion on the series is to follow.

7. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

I prefer other vampire romance books to the Twilight series, and I don't exactly know why since some of those other books are not exactly good literature either (nor even necessarily better written), so I can't say that I did not enjoy Twilight because it was a bad book. I guess I just like some trashy books but not others. ;)

8. slimeneo

slimeneo Valued Member Member

I liked the books, but then was scared away when it got overrated. It was weird after she had a baby.... o_o

I didn't watch any of the movies.

9. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Funny, I don't remember starting a thread :p Can someone do my math homework in my sleep too? ;D

Personally I don't see the literary value in it. Obviously anyone can write a story about anything, and anyone can read it. There are certainly many many "worse" books out there (hard to say what's better or worse since it's all an opinion anyway). But if I'm going to spend the time reading something, I want to get something out of it. I'm the same with TV, all I watch are "informative" shows like The Universe, How It's Made, Pawn Stars (it's kind of informative, you learn about history...though this is the most series-y show I watch) and stuff like that. Probably makes me "nerdy" that I don't watch The Office or Big Bang Theory or Dancing With the Stars...but really, being "nerdy" is just having an interest in something, when you think about it. :p I'm in a sciency major so I think it's justified.

Woops, that went on longer than I expected. In a nutshell, I'm a busy gal and I'd prefer to read something with more literary merit than a book about a bunch of vampires in love. I think for a lot of people it's a "love to hate it" sort of thing, everyone bands together with a common dislike for the book, similarly to how people bond together with a shared dislike of Justin Bieber (but that's for another thread).

10. sirdarksol

Here's what I think about Twilight and why:

Twilight is sad and pathetic.
    First of all, Meyers' image of vampires is unpalatable to me. Basically, she removed all of the tragedy of the concept. The idea that they sparkle in the sunlight is downright appalling, which is why my response to any comment about Twilight is "Vampires don't sparkle."
    Then there is the fact that the Twilight series is a watered-down mix of the Southern Vampire Mysteries and the Anita Blake series. This in and of itself is not actually all that big of a problem for me. I'm down with re-writing concepts for different audiences, and many parents would consider the Southern Vampire Mysteries and the Anita Blake series to be inappropriate for teens. But with all of the other issues with the series, this just makes the rest seem like a cheap ripoff.
    Bella is a weakling (note, I dislike the Southern Vampire Mysteries for the same reason). I have an issue with weak protagonists in general, but I really have a problem with weak female protagonists. A book has to be very, very well written for me to be able to deal with a female protagonist being weak. The weak female protagonist is a trope that has happened too much. It's much like the big, bad, barbarian who wears a fur loincloth and swings a huge sword that was forged by the land's greatest swordsmith just before he died.
    Lastly, the craft itself (of what little I have read) is just bad. It seems poorly written.

My props to Meyers for writing something that's found an audience. I certainly have failed to do so (of course, I've only had a couple of short stories published, and have not yet completed a novel, so...) She certainly wrote something that became popular. But popular doesn't mean well-written. Honestly, I don't think Harry Potter was well-written, either. I've never been able to read the books. From a craft standpoint, I despise them. However, I like the characters, and I like the world, so I enjoy Rowling's creation. I just have to enjoy the movies, because I'll burn the books if I try to read them. Similar with Laurel K Hamilton's Anita Blake series. I love the concept, but I can't read it because it seems like Hamilton is just cranking them out without paying much attention to craft. And again, props for writing something that's popular. But I can still bash the books for lack of quality. :D

Heh. Your post was just the best place I could find to split the thread.

And no. I can't. I'm a tutor. I've got a chip in my brain that doesn't let me do others' homework for them. :p

11. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I'll admit I haven't read any of the books nor watched any of the movies, so I base my opinions on what I see in commercials and stuff. However there are enough people - including people with whom I generally share opinions - who dislike the books, so I don't feel a need to read them and find out for myself.

I was kidding, the final is tomorrow, no more homework :p

12. CoryCats

CoryCats Well Known Member Member

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Mine just happens to be that I like it. I just don't see how it's a bad joke. Yes everyone can have their opinion but no one should be made to feel bad because of it.

13. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

Like I said I had several friends at work who read it and absolutely raved about how great it was. I love a good horror story so I bought the first book. By the time I got to the end I really couldn't have cared less about any of the lead characters so I didn't bother with the rest of the series. I also watched the first movie and didn't care for that much either, so I haven't seen the rest of them. It didn't have anything to do with the age group it was aimed at because I actually liked the Harry Potter books. Not saying I'm right - just my opinion.

14. sirdarksol

Here's where we need to separate what we like from ourselves. Otherwise, any statement of "I don't like something" by nature becomes an insult.
    This is not the case. Nobody was mocking those who like Twilight. They were mocking Twilight, which lends itself pretty readily to mockery, for the reasons I stated above.

Let's look at something other than Twilight:
    I listen to Aqua. It's my favorite band. Lene is my favorite singer. Yes, I love the song, "Barbie Girl." And yeah, there are people who think that Aqua is a horrible joke. I don't take that personally. Someone tells me I'm an idiot for liking Aqua, then yeah, I take it personally. But I can see where people are coming from in having such a strong opinion of the band.

15. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

just so you know the first 2 really do suck bad, but, the 3rd and 4th is alot better.

16. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

What's twilight? Harry who?

17. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I love Aqua, I have Aquarium and Aquarius. :p (Interesting discussing this on an aquarium forum...)

Anyway, I think that's a perfect point to make - when people hear that others dislike something that they like, then they get offended as if it was a personal attack. I think the only person who can plausibly have those thoughts is the author.

18. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

I made it to page 11 of the book before falling asleep, no fault of Meyers, I just haven't found time to try reading again due to the hype... I lose interest the more everyone else likes things, kinda ruins it for me. I know the entire story (coworker A read the story forever ago before anyone else knew about it, coworker B started reading it cause of coworker A, coworker A needed someone to blab to cause coworker B either had a fit or complained or was reading too slow or whatever ... insert me! saving grace, so I know everything! :D )

I agree with Sir, my view of Vampires is the old fashioned one, one of my favorite stories/movies/comics is Blade... so to see a concept watered down to glitter and piano song romances... not my thing. I'll admit I was rolling when I heard they sparkled... really, I didn't believe my friends til I saw the movie Was it a good movie, sure... the proof is in the green pudding, fanbased or not. I love werewolves as well, and my only issue with Meyers werewolf is that it's Sharkboy all grown up with a 6-pack ... and I feel old cause I remember when Taylor was a kid :'(

I agree about Bella -weak fem protagonist issue, but I dont mind it so long as there is a change in the character to give them some backbone at some point in time :) which she does do. I'm still Team-theybothcandobetter! But whatevs... I'll keep the puppies (werewolves) :) 's all I want!

Getting up in arms because someone has a differing opinion kinda kills that whole individuality thing. unless they're telling you not to like it... then you just ignore like I do :D

19. S

Skysong87 Valued Member Member

I can forgive twilight many of its shortcomings. I can forgive the sparkly vampires, I can forgive the poor writing, I can forgive how boring the 3rd book was (I found the part where Jacob ran away to take up too much of the book and was extremely boring). I can even forgive having such a weak female lead character. But I find the one thing I can't forgive is the last book.

I mean seriously, talk about having a climax that runs right up to the top of the mountain and then just falls flat on its face before reaching the peak. That book is 700 pages long. For approximately 650 of those pages it leads up to the conflict with the volturi. They reach the battle field, talk, have a little skirmish and then... Volturi: 'oops, you were right. Our bad, lets go home'. That one part of that one book makes me dislike the whole series -.-

20. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Perhaps someone should add a *spoiler alert* to the title ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice