The top of my tank is empty 30 Gallon Tank

1. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I have a 30 gallon long tank, cycled now for around 6 weeks.

It has in it 11 teeny tiny neon tetras, 3 guppy boys, and 6 bandit cories.

All of them hang out near or at the bottom, occassionally go to the middle, and pretty much never go to the top. I just got the tetras yesterday, and apparently, they are completely comfortable because they aren't schooling at all (is there a pouting smiley?).

I know neons tend to be middle of the tank fish, guppies are all-over fish, and cories are bottom fish.

I was thinking of either getting 2 more cories, or 3-4 pygmy cories. But what will swim at the top of my tank? I had danios, and they didn't swim at the top either. Is the something wrong with it? :-\

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Have you looked at hatchetfish? They are guarenteed to stay at the top :)

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

My platys and mollies hang out at the top of the tank if that helps at all.

In our guppy tank, we have some that hang out at the top, but others that hang out everywhere.

4. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

How about a gourami?

5. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I've been looking at Harlequin Rasobra's lately and they might be something you'd look at. From what I read, they are a very tight schooling fish. They are quite small so a group of 6-10 wouldn't add much to the bioload.

6. Elodea Well Known Member Member

I agree with MaddieLynn, you could try a dwarf gourami (just watch out for that DGIV, or Dwarf Gourami Indovirus)

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Hatchets are the way to go if you want a fish that always hangs out at the top. There are silver and marble hatchets commonly available, and sometimes you can find pygmy hatchets. They are known jumpers so be sure to keep them with a tight fitting lid.

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

hatchets look cool, but i have a gap at the top that I use for feeding - jumpers make me so nervous!

If I get 1 male DG, I don't have to worry about aggression at all, right?

9. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Probably not.

10. Camille Member Member

I have a large powder blue gourami and I have had dwarf gouramis in the past. They never bother any fish smaller than them. The only time you get aggression is when you get another fish as large as them then they get territorial. For example my blue gourami chases my chinese algae eater becasue he's the same size but he won't chase the smaller fish. I tried to give my gourami a friend but he killed him (territorial issues)... As long as the gourami is kept with smaller tank mates and you don't get 2 gouramis you should be fine.

Good luck!
    -Camille:animal0028:

P.S. My guppies always swim at the top of my tank...

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I got the "itch" Lucy mentioned, and went window shopping yesterday. I looked at the Rasboras, but in the LFS tanks, they were swimming in the middle of the tank, which is exactly where I don't need more fish, so I guess I'm going to skip those (which is too bad because I really liked them).

I'm also going to take a pass on the DGs, with all the recent talk about disease. So that leaves me with hatchetfish. They had silver ones, but will be getting marble in a few weeks, so I will wait and get those.

But the fact that they jump still has me a bit freaked out. I think I can get a plexiglass sheet to cover my big gap on the top of my tank. Will they try to jump out of the hole where the heater cord and the filter tubes are? Also, what about when I am doing maintainence - will I have suicide attempts then?

The owner of the store told me they are picky eaters - has anyone had that experience?

(By the way, I am really impressed with this store. Easily over a hundred tanks, and not a single fish dead that I saw. They do such an awesome job - very clean store and tanks, and very knowledgeable employees.)

12. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I used to have some and I found them easy to feed, always hanging at the top, they seemed to adapt well to flakes in my tank :)

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Dwarf neon rainbows. They are like luxury danios - better in every way. You'll love them! They stay in the top third of the tank. Hatchets were mentioned earlier, and they too will stay at the top.

IME neons stay near the bottom.

I would get a couple more corys, but not dwarves. They need a large group of their own kind.

The DG isn't going to stay at the surface.