The Things We Do For Our Fish!

Basil

water.JPG
My house well water runs at about 40 ppm nitrates and my barn well water (which is 2 miles away) runs at about 10 ppm. The choice is clear! My Subaru is very helpful in this situation and I've only (s0 far!!) had one jug fall over and spill. Of course, this is only the beginning as I then have to haul it all in the house (up a slight incline or a full set of stairs) and then heat it with a bucket heater in 5 gallon buckets to the correct tank temperature. I'm insane LOL!
Really need to get on that purchase of a small reverse osmosis system.

Pictusboss
That stinks. My water comes straight from a nearby lake (after being treated), and is ideal for the fish I keep.

We love our fish, and the sense of responsibility makes us feel important. Not to mention the care is necessary for the fishes well being and therefore out pleasure. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Aqua Hands
WOw, and I though my 10 gallon used alot

Mary765
My tap water is 40-80ppm but I've found by using nitrate crystals to grow nitrate absorbing bacteria and by reducing water changes to 10/15% once every week or two then I can keep a happy tank and happy nitrates!

Tesla
That clearly shows the love for your fishes I was recently able to get to pockets on anaerobic zone in my canister filter by slowing the water flow and loading it up with media but then it did not reduce the nitrates but slowed the rate of increase significantly.
Given your tap water conditions you either need to invest in coil de-nitrification which is too slow imo or a reverse osmosis system which would make much more sense and could also be used for a cleaner drinking source!

Tesla
My tap water is 40-80ppm but I've found by using nitrate crystals to grow nitrate absorbing bacteria and by reducing water changes to 10/15% once every week or two then I can keep a happy tank and happy nitrates!
Can you please share more details on nitrate crystals?

Basil
WOw, and I though my 10 gallon used alot
That's for water changes in both a 29 and a 40 gallon.

Basil
Oh yes, please do share info about the nitrate crystals! I have a mix of both artificial and live plants in my tanks but I don't think I have enough live plants to use as much nitrates as I need.

Mary765
Can you please share more details on nitrate crystals?

Sure!

I've attached a picture of the brand below, they do lots of different types such as ones for tanks without much phosphorus and in pellet form too but these work just fine for me.

It reccomend 1cm^3 (one of the crystal cubes basically) per litre of water in your tank, But I've used half the dose just fine. I.e let's say for your 40g, that would be 160l so imo 80 of the crystal cubes.

Put these things in your filter or in strong flow, I've attached a picture of where mine are too, and wait.

After a month, all my nitrates where gone, as it takes a week or two for the initial bacteria to grow and then another two or three weeks to drop the levels significantly.

The crystals need changing every 6 months, or whenever you notice nitrates rising again after they have been down for a few months. But it really is that simple!!! The crystals aren't even that expensive for what they do and how long you can use them for.

9/10 would reccomend to anybody in my position.

(Please excuse my tank, I am cleaning the algae off the walls today!)

Attachments

• 20180319_163045.jpg
    20180319_163045.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 101
  • 20180319_163653.jpg
    20180319_163653.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 119
Mary765
Oh yes, please do share info about the nitrate crystals! I have a mix of both artificial and live plants in my tanks but I don't think I have enough live plants to use as much nitrates as I need.

I feel you. I have loads of live plants but that barely scratch my nitrate levels.

Basil
Sure!

I've attached a picture of the brand below, they do lots of different types such as ones for tanks without much phosphorus and in pellet form too but these work just fine for me.

It reccomend 1cm^3 (one of the crystal cubes basically) per litre of water in your tank, But I've used half the dose just fine. I.e let's say for your 40g, that would be 160l so imo 80 of the crystal cubes.

Put these things in your filter or in strong flow, I've attached a picture of where mine are too, and wait.

After a month, all my nitrates where gone, as it takes a week or two for the initial bacteria to grow and then another two or three weeks to drop the levels significantly.

The crystals need changing every 6 months, or whenever you notice nitrates rising again after they have been down for a few months. But it really is that simple!!! The crystals aren't even that expensive for what they do and how long you can use them for.

Oh thank you! Will be ordering some. So you have them in the bag, hanging near the filter flow? Just making sure of what I am viewing in the picture.

Greg F
Gonna be honest. If that were required here I'd probably get a cat....

Mary765
Oh thank you! Will be ordering some. So you have them in the bag, hanging near the filter flow? Just making sure of what I am viewing in the picture.

That one in particular is a thing tight stocking but yes in general! The thinner the "bag" the more water flow (the better), or it's even better if you can just put the crystals in your filter.

I was 4 months and 2 tanks in before I realised I had nitrate issues in my tap, could hardly turn back now!

Basil
Haha! I already have 4 cats and 2 dogs (and 3 horses). But they don't have an issue with the 40 ppm nitrates (or at least that I know of!).

Mary765
Haha! I already have 4 cats and 2 dogs (and 3 horses). But they don't have an issue with the 40 ppm nitrates (or at least that I know of!).

And I though we were an animal loving family!

In this moment we have a budgie, two bunnies, a guinney pig, a hamster and 7 fish. These numbers are always increasing and decreasing though

Punkin
On the subject of things we do for our fish, I really don't care for central air conditioning, and hardly use it. However, now that I have the tank, if I see the temperature start to climb in the summer, I will use it to help keep the tank cool!

Tesla
Sure!

Thanks for sharing the nitra-guard crystals pic, I cannot seem to find it on this side of the pond though

Mary765
Thanks for sharing the nitra-guard crystals pic, I cannot seem to find it on this side of the pond though

... which side? UK or American?

Mary765

Ah, fair enough.. try Amazon or eBay, those usually ship across borders.

Also try the website if you can access it and see if they ship to your location.

Tesla
Ah, fair enough.. try Amazon or eBay, those usually ship across borders.

Also try the website if you can access it and see if they ship to your location.
Do you mind sharing ebay / amazon link? I can't find nitra-guard bio cubes on either, marine depot had it but says was discontinued. Thanks in advance!

Mary765
here's a titanium (no need for high phosphate in your tank already) one which delivers to the US.

Here's a regular one which may deliver to the US depending on location.

Feel free to snoop around for discounts.

You could also, you know, search up nitra guard on Google, click the "shopping" tab and browse availability in your local area..

Tesla
here's a titanium (no need for high phosphate in your tank already) one which delivers to the US.

Here's a regular one which may deliver to the US depending on location.

Feel free to snoop around for discounts.

You could also, you know, search up nitra guard on Google, click the "shopping" tab and browse availability in your local area..
I did the google shopping trick before posting, nothing!! This must be one of those magical items from Hogwarts that I would need to get it shipped to US
Thanks for the links.

Mary765
I did the google shopping trick before posting, nothing!! This must be one of those magical items from Hogwarts that I would need to get it shipped to US
Thanks for the links.

Good luck, and may the magical effects work wonders on your tanks!! :cat:

*ahem* muggle *ahem*

BlackNotebookTanks
My water's pH is normally around 8.9... yes, kettles only last a few months at my home. Having a soft spot for softer water fish doesn't help :/

That is some journey to get water though!

Basil
So this has made me the happiest person in the world today! My nitrate results after the under the sink nitrate reducing filter (it is a 2 phase that also filters heavy metals) was installed by my DH.
IMG_1966.JPG
Now I can think about getting my loaches!

Basil
And of course my day off yesterday was water change day.
My poor little subie hauled 150 lbs. of horse feed plus four 5 gallon buckets of RO water from my LFS plus 20 gallons of purified water from Walmart.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishyfishyfishman
Top Bottom