The Thermostat Is Off About 10 Degree F

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by SpeedyShark, Nov 10, 2018.

1. S

SpeedyShark New Member Member

I have Marineland Heater Precision for a 29 gallon. The thermostat was very acurated until today. It is off 10 degree up. Is that heater failing?

2. G

Goodbye Valued Member Member

May not be off at all.
    1. What is the heater's wattage?
    2. What is your homes ambient temperature?
    3. Is the heater not keeping the tank warm enough or is the tank too hot?
    4. Have you checked the temp with a different or second thermometer?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    S

The heater is 100watt. It warms the tank about 78 degree F. The room temperature is 65-70 degree F. I use a second thermometer. The thermostat for the heater is off about 10 degree. I guess I should not be worried since the temperature is okay.

4. G

Following the standard 5 watts per gallon guideline, your tank probably should have a 150 watt heater. This allows the heater to warm the tank up to 10°F above room temperature. With the 150 watt heater, if your nighttime room is 65°F, this may only warm your tank to 75°. Your 100 watt heater is going to have a very hard time keeping up this winter, especially if say you go away for the weekend and turn your home heater off.

I'm only bringing this up because a couple of winters ago my 29g tank with a 100 watt heater dropped to 65°F until I figured out that 100 watt heater wasn't sufficient.

5. OP
    OP
    S

I’m thinking about buying a heater that is 200 watt. Is that too powerful and will cook the fishes especially in day time and summer?

6. G

I ended up with a 200 watt also. I live in California so mine rarely came on in the summer. The only problem would arise is if the heater broke in the on position in the summer, then the tank could overheat. If you are really worried about this, you could always switch the heaters in the spring when the weather warms up.

7. OP
    OP
    S

When I pull out the Marineland Precision of a tank, there is a little spot of moist condensation in the tube. Is it okay to use it again in the future?

8. G

Once water starts to get inside, the thermostat is the first thing to go. These heaters will stick in the on position or not come in at all unless you turn them all the up. Over the years I have collected many of these. I now use them to heat my water on water change days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice