The temp in a saltwater tank?

mavlab05
Our tank has now been up and running for over a week. We have a heater in there and we had it set at 74 but our tank is running from 80 to 84. We have had pretty warm temps outside so we have been a lil hotter in the house but we can not get the temp in the tank to come down. We have removed half of the lid off the tank and have a ceiling fan running in the room. We don't know what to do to bring down the temp or if it's ok where it's at right now we only have live rock and no fish. Any help would be greatfully apprieciated.

Oil_Fan
Our tank has now been up and running for over a week. We have a heater in there and we had it set at 74 but our tank is running from 80 to 84. We have had pretty warm temps outside so we have been a lil hotter in the house but we can not get the temp in the tank to come down. We have removed half of the lid off the tank and have a ceiling fan running in the room. We don't know what to do to bring down the temp or if it's ok where it's at right now we only have live rock and no fish. Any help would be greatfully apprieciated.
80 degrees isn't too bad but 84 maybe a problem. Where do you live? You may need to think about getting a chiller.

Oil_Fan
And welcome to Fishlore!!

mavlab05
We live if Fort Worth Tx and we go through ups and down in temps here but get pretty hot in the summer

Oil_Fan
You may have a a problem come summer. LR won't care but some fish may. I know I ran into an issue and lost 3 fish due to temp drops here in Atlanta back in January. I would think rapid temperature rising would cause similar stress.

Someone who lives in a hotter area with some experience in this will stop on by in the next day or so can give some insight.

Mike
Although shallow areas on the reef can reach these temps it makes me really uncomfortable if the tank is 85 F or more. Be sure to increase surface agitation when the temps are this high. The warmer the water, the less dissolved oxygen.

mavlab05
Thanks for the info.

Peterpiper
Mate, summer is a PITA as far as heat is concerned, it is known that 2nd infections happen due to bacteria... and bacteria grow in numbers due to high temps.. so keeping the temp stable and low is important... chiller and increase the water volume is best

GreenMan13
How hot is it in the room? What type of lights do you have? How big of a tank is it? Does it have a sump also? How big is that? What kind of hood do you have?

Some people have used large computer fans blowing across the surface of the water to cool down the tank by keep the air between the lights and the water cooler.

mavlab05
My room is running around 75 to 77, we have a ballest light, it is a 90 gallon with a background 125 lbs of live rock, no we don't have a sump we have a large canister filter, 2 power heads, a protien skimmer and a spool filter, we have a wooden canopy and we removed one of the lids. I will try to get a pic and post it.

Latesha

mavlab05
We talked to a few people and the said it could be an issue with my heater they suggested we unplug it and see if the temp would go down and 12 hours later the temp went down to 76 so I think it was the heater.

GreenMan13
Glad you figured it out.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
Cfitz63b