3 rasbora espei

10 gallon
    1 sunset honey gourami
    4 cardinal tetras
    1 zebra danio

29 gallon (coming soon!)
    rosy barbs
    ?

So, my girlfriend and I are getting a 29 gallon for a christmas present to one another and she is dead set on rosy barbs. This is a must. I was thinking though, that I could move some of the fish around and still end up with what I ultimately want (a puffer!). I was thinking of moving the rasbora espeis to the 10 gallon, and the cories to the 29 gallon. The danio would move to the 29. This now frees up the 5 gallon to put a single dwarf puffer. Sound good?

Also, how many rosy barbs would be good for the 29? Any other fish you would recommend me researching?

I am aware that some (if not all) of the tanks are overstocked or getting there. Do know that I perform very regular water changes and have a really good test kit to keep on top of the levels. All of the tanks are well planted.
    Thanks for the input, I really appreciate your expertise!
    David.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Dtree. Congrats on getting the new 29g. I'll let people that have experience with the fish in question to suggest stocking. I hope you can share some photos with us along the way!
    Happy Holidays!
    Ken

3. Fishzone08 Member Member

hi
    The rearranging sounds good. In the 29g with the rosy barb I would get tigar barbs or other types of barbs, barbs can be quite aggressive they should never be put in with fish with long fined fish. If I was you I would do this;
    Cories
    Danios
    5 rosy barbs
    5 Tigar barbs either normal, albino or green
    1 Bristlenose Plec
    Barbs like to be kept in groups. It usually goes by every inch of fish to every gallon in your tank for example bristlenose grow to about 5 inches so thats 5g out of your 29g.
    People usually come into the shop and say the barbs have injured their fish for example boesmani rainbow fish, so be aware they are no push overs.
    Hope this have help you.

4. Tim Wheatley Initiate Member

Think poster meant to say I would NOT get tigar barb

5. GouramiGirl1221 Well Known Member Member

I recently got some rosy barbs, and they have not lived up to the typical barb behavior. They're very docile and pretty well stick to themselves. I'd been having trouble deciding where to put them, so they were even in with my angelfish for a while (3 weeks or so) and his fins are untouched. I know tiger barbs are rather aggressive and nippy...anyone else have experience with rosy barbs specifically? My group may be an exception to the rule...

6. Fishzone08 Member Member

No tigar barbs would go in this setup. Tigar barbs do ok in groups when with other barbs like rosy barbs.

7. dtree Member Member

Alright, it's about time for an update...now, with pictures!

5 gallon
    2 African Dwarf Frogs
    [​IMG]

10 gallon
    3 Cardinal Tetras
    4 Rasbora Espeis
    1 Flagfish
    1 Honey Gourami
    [​IMG]

29 gallon
    12 Pygmy Cories
    3 Zebra Danios
    [​IMG]

So, we're absolutely loving the new 29 gallon and have gotten over the NEED for Rosy Barbs (not ruling them out though). What else would you add to the 29 gallon?

8. mmcd Member Member

all of your tanks looks great good luck

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful tanks dtree! Thanks for sharing the photos!
    Ken

10. dtree Member Member

Thanks a bunch! Still have a ton of work to do! Looking to rearrange the 10 gallon (now that I know more about plants) and plan on adding more plants to the 29.

11. rae64 Well Known Member Member

Personally, I would add some more zebra danios to the school, and make it 5. Maybe instead of the rosy barbs, some serpae tetras? In my opinion they look similar, and may be better suited to your aquarium. So, 6 serpae tetras (10-ish inches) 5 zebra danios (10 inches) and 12 cory cats (12 inches) gives you about 32 inches. A little over-stocked, but you should be fine.

12. dtree Member Member

You read my mind Rea! While at the lfs today, I picked up two zebra danios, half a dozen cherry shrimp, and two otto cats. I think what we will ultimately do is either another large school of a very small species (perhaps celestial peal danios) or a couple of showy fish that wouldn't mind the active danios and can be kept in a pair. Flirting with the ideas of a couple of gold rams or a small school of gold while cloud minnows.
    As far as the one inch of fish per gallon, I am not following that too meticulously since I am trying to get fish that dwell in separate areas of the tank and are known to be community fish. I also keep on top of water changes and parameters. Thanks for your concern though!
    Thanks for the suggestions you guys...we're not done yet!!! :;group

13. rae64 Well Known Member Member

Haha :) The inch per gallon rule isn't by any standards the "end all be all", but you just have to be careful that the bio-load isn't too heavy.

14. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

What happened to the puffer? I was really excited for you! Not that ADFs are bad...

15. dtree Member Member

Oh, don't you worry! I'm sure I will be setting up a puffer tank in the future. The reason I scratched the idea was the fact that I could really only keep one in such a small tank. Add to it that it is dimly lit and very heavily planted, I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy the little guy.
    The addition of African Dwarf Frogs surprised me more than anyone as I had never even considered them. I am so happy that I got them though as they are a ton of fun to watch and really add variety to my "aquarium wall".

16. dtree Member Member

Thanks again to everyone for their help. I have but one more question:
    What is a good community fish that will grow to about 4 inches max and can be kept solitary? This will be added to the 29 gallon to finish the stocking. Thanks in advance!

17. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Bolivian ram. Much more hardy than german blue ram and loads of personality. It's fun to get them young and watch them grow into their adult colors.

Hope this helps.