The Tanks A Mess

1. Dropszecolorlord

Dropszecolorlord Valued Member Member

my 55 gallon has a ammonia issue that were working o fixing the next treatment is Monday. now i'm worried one of my snails may not of made it through the spike because the water has turned lime green. i red that it was algae but i'm worrying it may be something from a dead snail i have only seen one of my snails.
    Also i know the ammonia spike was from extra food and i was wondering the best fish that will CONSTANTLY eat. my pleco is lazy and he doesn't rely eat ecept from a few spots on the glass he may be more active at night where i haven't been able to observe. my swordtails do munch on the algae and ground on there fasting day along with smaller feedings.
    i'm looking for a fish i can get once my ammonia lowers that can survive incace i get a spike again.
    i rely don't want corys sense i killed the last few and don't trust myself.

also i have 2 other tanks 1 13 gallon with a convict and the other 5 with a female betta should i bother to move the snails into another tank or just leave them as the amonea has already doped significantly.

2. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor Valued Member Member

Ammonia in the tank can originate from the buildup of uneaten food and waste in the aquarium. It is essential to let your tank complete the nitrification cycle before you add fish since fish are very sensitive to ammonia. If your tank is new, I would recommend monitoring your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels for the next two or three weeks before you add fish. You should notice your ammonia levels rise and lower, your nitrite levels rise and lower, and then your nitrate levels rise until you complete a water change (also do water changes during the process). An "ideal" aquarium should have 0 ppm of ammonia, 0 ppm of nitrite, and as little nitrate as possible (preferably below ~20 ppm). Once your aquarium has established its nitrification cycle, you can add hardy fish such as platys, guppies, and hardier tetras. These fish will continue to shape the cycle until you can buy even grander fish that are compatible with your water parameters and the other fish that already live in the tank.

To prevent future ammonia spikes in your aquarium, do not overfeed your tank inhabitants, remove any dead organisms before they begin to decompose, and clean your tank substrate often to remove detritus and waste, though a large cleanup crew consisting of shrimp, snails, and algae-eating fish can help.

Now as for a fish that "eats constantly", keep in mind that a fish's stomach is typically about the size of their eyeball (though this is not always the case), so most fish don't require significant amounts of food. It is more important to feed your fish a more nutritious and varied diet rather than give your fish lots of food. It would be very useful to add something to your stock that will scavenge that leftovers of others, such as Corydoras or loaches.

Hope this helps! :)

3. THE HABITAT

THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

not a pro by any strect but i would like to share my short term experience...I started with an 8.8 and knew that wouldn't be large enough for 2 MM Platy and 2 Zebra Danio ( as i knew they are better in schools of 5 or more ) so i upped to a 55 and found that Serpae Tetras ( altho a little nippy ) look amazing in a school of 5....My point being if you want hardy fish i reccoment Zebra danio, Platy, and Serpae Tetras...till you can get your tank established and under control.....i think i also helped mine along by having live plants...maybe maybe not...but i currently have 5 zebras 5 serps 3 molly 2 platy 6 amano shrimp 3 nerites and 5 Corys...4 pepper and 1 panda 2 otto cats ( 3 more on the way )...and yes the panda always hangs with one of the peppers...ohhhhh and last but never least my Rubber lip pleco....sorry if i hijacked your thread but thats my current 55 list...

4. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor Valued Member Member

I definitely agree about adding live plants to an aquarium. Plants add a whole new level to fishkeeping, and bacteria living in a plants' roots can help convert ammonia and nitrites into nitrates that plants can utilize as nutrients. Even terrestrial plants like Pothos vines or bamboo can be attached to a filter to help keep your water quality great.

5. OP
    OP
    Dropszecolorlord

Dropszecolorlord Valued Member Member

i have a java fern and another plant i dont know the name of in there once the green water fades i will defenently make this tank 70% planted but i can only do it slowly from my step dad dosent want a planted tank and he pays for the tank

6. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

I don't want to sound harsh but it's never a fish's job to take on any certain role in an aquarium. It's their job to swim, eat, and sleep. Yes, people get Amano shrimp or oto's to help with algae, or bottom feeders to help "clean up" although they require their own food so most of the time the help is minimal. But it's our job, as fish keepers, to take care of the aquarium. If you know the ammonia spike was from overfeeding, then going forward make sure to feed less and/or be more diligent about getting out leftover food. Don't rely on a fish to take care of a problem in the tank, that may or may not have been caused by you.