The stock of my pond :D and pics of the koi :)

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by platy ben, Mar 29, 2010.

1. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hello :)
    Yesterday I spent a long 30 minutes trying to count how many fish I had in the pond and I've come to the conclusion that I have the following fish and how much water I "allow" for each species:

15 goldfish and comets- 10G each
    4 shubunkins- 10G each
    1 mirror carp-100G
    1 common carp- 100G
    10 koi- 100G each
    4 green tench- 25G each
    1 weather loach- 20G

36 fish- 1435G (too be exact), round it to 1500G just to allow for critters in the pond, frogs, snails etc..

Total pond capacity- Around 1800G

By NO means does this method of stocking apply for fish tanks under any circumstances!
    Other pond keepers may not agree with this stocking method either. This is the method me and my dad have used to stock the pond since it was built 25 years ago (nearly 10 years ownership of that being me ;)), so I feel comfortable to follow this plan.
    For example, if the koi were HUGE I would probably allow about 400G a fish.

And here are 4 pictures :D
    I tried to get some close ups of the koi :D
    and Lucys requested pic of the lilly plant :p

Attached Files:

2. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

I have no goldfish experience or of ponds, but the pond looks good, well done!

3. Tana

Tana Valued Member Member

Everyone looks good and I bet they're so happy to be in the pond again! :)

4. OP
    OP
    platy ben

All of the koi pictured are 'runts' a breeder didn't want and I thought they looked nice and I rescued them :), my home bred ones are diddy :p and most of them are still in the tank :)

5. g

gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Hi Ben, just out of curiosity what will become of the mirror and common when they get older, i have caught some huge carp both here and in france and they can get very deep bodied as you probably know. Have you thought about grass carp or sturgeon, they would look pretty cool in that pond mate.
    Nick

6. OP
    OP
    platy ben

My girlfriends' auntie has a huge pond in her garden, easily in excess of 50,000 Gallons, I sold her 6 8-10" common carp last year, and in a few years this is where the carp will go. At the moment my mirror carp is about 6" and the common carp is about 2 years old and only 2".
    I do like grass carp, and have had some in the past, but to me they aren't 'true' carp like the mirrors and commons, which I buy young, or occasionally get fry from the 2 I have and I just love raising them.
    I also love sturgeon, but because there body is kind of spikey, there is a chance they could get caught in my oxygen weed, they are also quite pricey.
    Ben

7. g

You can get sturgeon down here in brighton for about £20, and oxygen weed should be fine with them it's just the blanket weed you can't have them with.
    Nick

8. OP
    OP
    platy ben

I agree, but my dad thought the same, he bought a little sturgeon and it got caught in very thin blanket weed which was amongst his oxygen weed, and we share the same weed between our ponds.
    £20 for a normal one ;) If I was to get 1 it would have to be a diamond back or albino :D

9. g

The diamond backs aren't that more exspensive here if you shop around but the albinos are silly money. nice pond you have there though.
    Nick

10. OP
    OP
    platy ben

11. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I love the speckled dude!!! That, to me, is one gorgeous fish. I don't usually care for "albino" fish or even white fish for that matter. They kinda creep me out. But the white koi are pretty. ;D

12. OP
    OP
    platy ben

The speckly dude is my big fat female shubunkin :D
    She always gives me plenty of fry each year :D
    In the second pic, top left corner, is one of her babies. The white fish with the orange spot :) He is a beautiful little boy, although he is white with a couple of red and orange spots, he is a fan tail and his tail is massive, its white/transparent with black speckles all over it :D

13. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Aww, only one weather loach? ;D

I agree, sturgeons are very cool. With an emphasis on the "very".

14. OP
    OP
    platy ben

Yes, only 1 weather loach. It was also a rescue, my brothers friend had it in a 20G tank with no hiding places so it was going wild all of the time. When he gave it to me it was about 5", now its nearly 10" lol :D

15. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Cool Pond

How old are the koi?

CB

16. ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3 Valued Member Member

Big fish big fish big fish lol

17. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I love your koi! They're beautiful!

18. OP
    OP
    platy ben

Thanks everyone :D

CheeseBurger, I would have to estimate as they have been stunted from when theb reeder had them in a tank, but going on other things such as body shape, body depth, probably around 10-15 years the biggest 2, and the rest all about 6-7.

19. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Cool are club got a guy on Koi and hes says the lifespan are up to 80 years so they still got a couple decades on em

20. OP
    OP
    platy ben

A lot of Japanese koi breeders say that the life span is around 100 years

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice