The source of all the stress

1. Mattfinn Member Member

Ok....it's eggs.....
    Believe it or not my two female GBRs have turned out to be one of each sex. Figured this all out today when doing a major rescape and was like "woah these are eggs" then took a second look at them and noticed that well they have different dorsal fins with one having a bigger second and the other a bigger third.
    So ah "woooowhoooo" lets see where this goes.....

Couldn't accurately sec them earlier on due to them still being juveniles.

Feeling fishy

2. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know anything abut GBR's and eggs but it all sounds exciting..... How do they hatch? Or shall I say, in how many days? Are you going to move them in to a different tank?

I had surprise Zebra Danio fry a few weeks ago. Long story but I drained my tank ( all but 4 inches of water ) and moved my fish from a 36 gallon to a 72 gallon. Then as I was tearing down the 36 gallon, there was fry! They looked like a piece of lint with eyeballs! :;eye:;eye
    They had been in a unheated, unfiltered tank for at least 2 + weeks!
    So now its been almost 2 weeks in a qt tank and I have 6 healthy and big surviving danios!

So CONGRATULATIONS! :;toast

3. Mattfinn Member Member

That's awesome yeah. I haven't looked into it all yet they're very territorial towards everyone else and are guarding that cave like a hawk.

I have ALOT of wisteria floating that if the parents don't look after the fry (I've read varied reports on parenting with rams) then I can either move them to a 5 gal that is fishless but cycled or leave them to see what happens. I'm not really prepare for continuous feeding and water changes (still in school).

Feeling fishy

4. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

That's exciting!!! Sometimes the parents will continuously eat the eggs since they aren't quite ready to breed yet. Maybe just look at it as food for your other fish? Let nature take its course you could say

5. Mattfinn Member Member

The female has turned the male into the whipping boy in the tank. Guards that cave like nothing else and chases everyone away. Even had a go at my hand the other day when I was doing a rescape. An got to close to her cave

Feeling fishy