the sound of silence

Discussion in 'bubblynutter' started by bubblynutter, Apr 1, 2010.

1. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

i woke up this morning to the worst sound imaginable for an aquarist - silence.
    My entire house power was off!! :eek:

I immediately ran to the tanks and found out from my light timers that the power tripped at 3am, because water had got on my power board for the 46g. Many expletives followed this discovery.

I checked the tank and found no leaks, but a very wet carpet. I still can't figure out why.

The ruined power board was immediately removed, I plugged everythingt into a spare powr board and put the new board on a window ledge. The power was out for 4.5 hours. I can only pray that both of my wet/dry filters maintained enough moisture to protect the bb.

I have to leave in 20 minutes for my Easter trip, and won't return until Monday evening.
    Could anything else POSSIBLY go wrong this week?!
    No casualties overnight, and the temp in the tanks dropped from about 28-9 to about 23-4.

I have done all I can to make sure the tanks will continue to run in my absense, but can do nothing for any ammonia spikes. Water changes were completed last night, and all tests were 0,0,10.

2. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Maybe enlist a friend to check on the tanks every two days or so?

3. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

I have a housemate but he is fish-illiterate, and last time I left for two weeks I came home to 4 deaths.

Hopefully if the cycle did crash, not being fed for 2.5 days will minimise any ammonia till I get home. i preventatively treated with Prime just now.

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Oh, no! Hang in there, try to enjoy your trip, and we're all hoping everything turns out okay.

5. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

IME, the beneficial bacteria that comprise the biological filter are a lot more resilient than what they often get credit for. I would not expect an ammonia spike. Have fun on your trip and try not to worry! :)

6. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

Alright, update for you all!

I got home about 3pm Monday afternoon. I walked in the door - 46G was HALF EMPTY.
    I swore - loudly - and my housemate came out and said 'oh, I thought it was evaporating a bit quickly, but figured you knew what you were doing'.

I immediately went to panic stations, and switched off the power to that tank. Found out the 'leak' was a blocked section of my wet/dry trickle filter, and it was overflowing out the back of the tank, where I couldn't see on Friday morning. The carpet was (is) SOAKED. I have no idea how much damage it will have done to the flooring.

I fixed the filter, and topped up the tank. The fish just acted like it was a delayed water change, darting through the water I added and played in the bubbles. So everyone was fine.
    Crazy tanks! All I got from my husband was 'see, these are the things you have to deal with when you have tanks - and you want to get another one!'.

Men. :;smack

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Wow, I'm glad everyone was ok!!

8. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

urgent help required

got a call from my housemate today about 5pm to tell me my tank is leaking again. I lost a quarter of the water onto the floor in a day.

I'm trying desperately to get in contact with the previous owner of the new 180g to see if he can deliver it this saturday.

The stand that holds the 46g is now very wet and warped, and i'm seriously concerned over it's ability to support the weight of the tank in the short term. I'm also concerned about the water in rthe carpet, as it still hadn't dried from the Easter debacle. Anyone know how much water it takes to rot flooring, carpet and tank stands to the point of compromising structural integrity?

The only 'quick fix' i can think of right now to get me to the weekend is to put the honeys, tetras and baby bn plecs into my 23g. I know this is overstocked, but would only be till the weekend. Then i could drop the water level in the 46, which would reduce the amount of weight on the stand.

Any thoughts? Contradictions?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  9. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Ooooh BUGGER BUGGER BUGGER!. This is one of my most dreaded fears [my tank sits in my room, on my desk, and above carpet] that I'll wake up/come home from work, and 70L will have made its way to my carpet.

but as for your idea - yup yup, for a couple of days I know it isn't ideal, but given the options available, I would probably do the same thing.

As long as the newbies won't get terrorised/attacked by the existing 90G population.... I don't see that you have much choice.
    As for your 46G filter media, as long as you keep it submerged, the b/b should survive for a couple of days, but I wouldn't want to let it go more than 2.

Again, sorry for the dramas.

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Oh no!!!!!!!

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. I suggest getting a Wet Vac to suck the water out of your carpet. If you don't own one I'm sure one can be rented at a reasonable price.

Luckily I have tile floors and I pray this never happens to my 265g. (or any tank for that matter) I don't want a Tsunami to wake me up! lol I don't have to worry about carpet but with a wave of that size, I'd probably have to replace sheet rock on my walls.

I hope everything turns out for the best. Hang in there!
    Ken

11. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

thanks everyone. I'm terying to move everyone to the 23g so i can empty most of the tank. Then I can try and drag the 46 to the opposite corner of the room to a dry spot. That will take care of 1 wet problem. Then I'll refill the 46 and see if I can't work out what's wrong with my filter.

Still trying to find out if I can get the 180 delivered this weekend.

12. Aquarist

Bubbly,

See if this helps. If you lost power and the U tubes that you have hanging over and into the tank from your Wet/Dry system don't have a tiny hole in the U tube then you've had a back wash. The hole in the U tube allows air into the tube so that when the power is turned off, it doesn't drain your tank. Does any of this sound like a possible cause to the wet floor and drained tank?

The hole in the U tube needs to be above the water line once the power is turned off. So it needs to fairly close to the top but not so high that it squirts water outside of the tank when the power is turned back on.

Too, check your filter media, the pads may need to be rinsed in siphoned tank water. If you count on these pads for bio purposes and housing good bacteria. If you see any water backing up even if it's just a small puddle then your media is clogging.

The pads in my wet/dry filter I do not depend on for housing my good bacteria. It's been my experience that these pads need to be CLEAN for the filter to work correctly. I rinse mine with a water hose.

Ken

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  13. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

thanks ken, but i dont have u tubes. The tank is a ufo 700 by aqua one. Google it to see the set up - im on my phone so cant give links.

14. Aquarist

Ok...I'll take a look now and see if I can find it.
    Ken

15. Aquarist

Oh cool! What a beautiful tank! I'm not finding anything showing the exact filter that comes with it.

I'm guessing that the tank has a built in over flow system since you don't have tubes hanging over the tank. (compared to a wet/dry with a hob over flow box). Correct?

Be sure to check all of your connections and tubes and make sure your filter media isn't clogging and blocking the flow. Check for those little puddles that may be building up where the intake tubes meet the filter itself. Check the connections on your out flow tubes too.

Ken

16. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

thanks for the tips ken. The white sponges that came with it were rather clogged - maybe that was it. I moved the tank, and it doesnt appear to be leaking in the new location, but then again it wasnt this morning either!

Will update you all tomorrow, time for some well earned sleep!

17. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Sorry you're going through this problem. Hope everything gets solved and done soon. Best of luck and will keep you in our thoughts. :;hug2

18. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Wow, sorry for all the problems you're having!
    The only suggestion I can offer is if you have a carpet steam cleaner or can rent one, you can use it to suck up water out of the rug.
    Here in the US, you can usually rent one like Rug Doctor at a grocery store.
    It's not all that expensive.

19. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

oh thanks lucy, i didn't even think of that! We own a steam cleaner. Will try it out on Saturday morning.
    Great tip!

20. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

OK, thought I should update you all.

The tank has been in its new location for 9 days now, and does not seem to be leaking. I took out the old wool pads that were horribly clogged, and replaced them with new ones. (Don't worry, I have a boot load of ceramic noodles in there for bio filtration!)

It seems to be working pretty well, but the stand is well, a word I can't use on here without getting censored and warned! lol

I am thinking that I maybe cut my losses with this tank, and try and sell it in about a month or so. My thoughts are to use the money to purchase two 3ft tanks and use them as breeders/grow out tanks. I'm going to try my hand at breeding bn plecs and angels for a bit of extra cash. I do like the tank, but I've found the shape very hard to deal with. I have to use a step ladder to get to the back of the tank, and remove the filter and lighting from the top any time I need to do any maintenance. Which has been a LOT lately!! It doesn't seem to be very practical.
    Any thoughts? Anyone else had experiences with corner tanks?

And Lucy - Thanks SO much for the steam cleaner tip - worked a treat! Dry carpet... the landlord will be happy! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice