The Snail Stow-away

plant crab
Hello All!

I found this guy on one of my fake plants today. I can only imagine he came in on one of my real plants or maybe could have been in the gravel from the previous owner.

The picture posted is not the actual snail I found, mine is very tiny, I do not think he will photograph well, but after much research I found a picture that I think is him. ID'ed on the internet as a "Physid Snail".

Questions: Anyone have one of these?
Should I put him back in the tank?
Will he tear up my plants?
I've been looking for some MTS at all the LFS's near me to aerate my gravel, will he do the same thing?

Blub
Hi!

That is the last animal you want in your tank! It's a pouch snail - and likes to take over tanks. Dispose if it; it's the last thing you need.

plant crab
Wow! That's too bad, he's got a neat shell!
Its a good thing I saw him then... I will now check diligently for others like him.
Thanks HatchetHaven!

Blub
Hi!

I've seen tanks so badly 'infected' by those little dudes that you can't even add fish it's so overstocked! In fact, I have to deal with a Pouch snail problem in one of Schools tanks right now.

plant crab
I've been looking into clown loaches lately.. do you think its something that they would eat?

mychl717
Make sure you know what you're getting into before getting any clowns.... look into yoyos too, but clowns get big and need a lot of care.

Blub
Hi!

Buddy, your not serious. Clown loaches need to be kept in at least 3's, and they grow to 30cm long! Really? I don't think you really want some of them...

KuhlI loaches would be a good alternative. Although 12cm long, they are thin and only count as 2.5" on the inch per gal.

plant crab
Okay okay .. I was just thinking about it!
I don't know about kuhlI loaches... they're just not that interesting and they kind of scare me.
Anyway, I'll figure it out.. I'm months away from adding any kind of loach unless I really get a snail problem, then I'll definitely look back into it. Next up: a school for my blue tetra, and then come the gouramis.

Blub
Hi!

Khuli's are the most, funny, active fish ever! Have you seen that cute little face? How could anyone not like them.

plant crab
Ok Hatchet, you've at least convinced me to reconsider them.

Blub
Hi!

Search 'KuhlI loach' on google.

shellbell4ever
I have 3 kuhli's and I LOVE them so much...they're always so funny to watch now that they have become comfortable in there home

Narcicius
don't you need sand to keep kuhlI loaches

MissMTS
Yoyos are so cool too. I wish I had room for one.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BobbiJ
  • Question
Replies
Views
Moonchild848
  • Question
Replies
Views
Bettybrown922