The slow sad demise of Simon the betta

Mamastacia3

Hi all,

I’m sure many of you have gone through this experience, but I have a very sick betta who is about to die.

Ive had Simon for about a year and a half and he’s had a good fishy life. He’s lived in a 10g most of his life. Over the past couple of months he has developed fin wasting and dull spots on his scales, and I suspected Columnaris. I put him in a hospital tank and treated him with kanamycin and Furan 2 combo. This seemed to be working okay, and Columnaris is not why Simon is dying.

Somehow he severely injured his pectoral fins, first one and then the other. I’m suspecting a decor I had put in the hospital tank, a square with holes to swim through so he wouldn’t be bored. I sanded that thing for hours and did the pantyhose test, all fine. My best guess is he tried to swim through a hole that was too small and snagged his fins.

I had had something similar happen with my other betta Ted, but with him there was no obvious reason for the fin trauma. With Ted, about 4-5 days after the injury he swelled up with dropsy, and died about two days after that. So I greatly feared for Simon, but hoped the fact that he was already in a hospital tank being treated with antibiotics would help him survive.

He seemed fine for about a week, then the dreaded swelling happened. He has had severe pineconing now for almost a week, getting slightly worse by the day. He was still eating and swimming til yesterday. Now he won’t eat and he spends his time on his leaf curled up next to the roiboos teabag, or hiding in his log. Today he isn’t even do that, he’s just floating near the top (bc I think he can’t breathe).

I hate to think of it but I’m considering the clove oil euthanasia for him. Has anyone tried this and is it truly painless? I’ve accepted the fact that he isn’t going to recover, and I don’t want him to keep suffering. Ted near the end was awful, he just lay on the bottom of the tank gasping.

I actually have an appointment with a mobile fish vet on Tuesday. This is Saturday, and each day he is suffering. I doubt the vet will be able to save him.

Thoughts?

Thanks for “listening,” Simon was my very first betta, it’s been a joy to have him in my life, and I’m devastated that he is dying, compounded by guilt that I caused his injury/death by putting that decor in his tank.

Pics are of him as a healthy fish, and one of today in an epsom salt bath to try to relieve swelling (it didn’t really work), and one of him cuddling the tea bag.

Attachments

• FBD98354-7153-46CD-B30A-A6AC52923C83.jpeg
    FBD98354-7153-46CD-B30A-A6AC52923C83.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 1B1A2579-A9C4-4D0E-9EC2-9E274155D890.jpeg
    1B1A2579-A9C4-4D0E-9EC2-9E274155D890.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DFA7C2A3-6C27-4B30-AEB2-41506C5860E6.jpeg
    DFA7C2A3-6C27-4B30-AEB2-41506C5860E6.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 89D0DEE6-C4F8-4C36-A934-899C76FA2B31.jpeg
    89D0DEE6-C4F8-4C36-A934-899C76FA2B31.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 48

SavTheArtist

Oh my gosh... I'm so terribly sorry. The poor boy.

It isn't your fault! You did your best to make the decor safe.

I wish you the best, and send my condolences. I wish him a safe/recovery or passing... either way, he is such a beautiful boy. I'm sure you gave him the best life.

Upvote 0

Rockymountainstream

Hi all,

I’m sure many of you have gone through this experience, but I have a very sick betta who is about to die.

Ive had Simon for about a year and a half and he’s had a good fishy life. He’s lived in a 10g most of his life. Over the past couple of months he has developed fin wasting and dull spots on his scales, and I suspected Columnaris. I put him in a hospital tank and treated him with kanamycin and Furan 2 combo. This seemed to be working okay, and Columnaris is not why Simon is dying.

Somehow he severely injured his pectoral fins, first one and then the other. I’m suspecting a decor I had put in the hospital tank, a square with holes to swim through so he wouldn’t be bored. I sanded that thing for hours and did the pantyhose test, all fine. My best guess is he tried to swim through a hole that was too small and snagged his fins.

I had had something similar happen with my other betta Ted, but with him there was no obvious reason for the fin trauma. With Ted, about 4-5 days after the injury he swelled up with dropsy, and died about two days after that. So I greatly feared for Simon, but hoped the fact that he was already in a hospital tank being treated with antibiotics would help him survive.

He seemed fine for about a week, then the dreaded swelling happened. He has had severe pineconing now for almost a week, getting slightly worse by the day. He was still eating and swimming til yesterday. Now he won’t eat and he spends his time on his leaf curled up next to the roiboos teabag, or hiding in his log. Today he isn’t even do that, he’s just floating near the top (bc I think he can’t breathe).

I hate to think of it but I’m considering the clove oil euthanasia for him. Has anyone tried this and is it truly painless? I’ve accepted the fact that he isn’t going to recover, and I don’t want him to keep suffering. Ted near the end was awful, he just lay on the bottom of the tank gasping.

I actually have an appointment with a mobile fish vet on Tuesday. This is Saturday, and each day he is suffering. I doubt the vet will be able to save him.

Thoughts?

Thanks for “listening,” Simon was my very first betta, it’s been a joy to have him in my life, and I’m devastated that he is dying, compounded by guilt that I caused his injury/death by putting that decor in his tank.

Pics are of him as a healthy fish, and one of today in an epsom salt bath to try to relieve swelling (it didn’t really work), and one of him cuddling the tea bag.
I have used clover oil. I can't say it is 100% pain less. It did work well for me and my guppy passed quickly. I hope this helps you.

Upvote 0

WrenFeenix

Hi all,

Thoughts?

I’m so sorry about Simon. It’s so good of you to have a vet come see him; you’re giving him the best possible care a fishy could ever have. He lives a wonderful life with someone who cares for him so dearly; he couldn’t ask for anything better. Don’t blame yourself, you did everything you could and it’s not your fault. What happens, happens, and it was meant to be.

If you have access to a vet, I’d have a vet take care of euthanasia. If you ever find yourself needing to use clove oil, generally a fish is considered to have passed away if the gills don’t move for 10 minutes or more.

I could give you some advice on caring for wounds and dropsy. You probably already know this stuff, but I’ll mention it anyway:
  • There is a product called Seachem Stress Guard. It is very helpful for preventing infections after a fish injures itself. I would only use it as needed, and only replace what was removed with water changes (directions on the bottle say to dose daily. I would not do that; it makes a huge mess).
  • Sodium chloride/aquarium salt can also be good for preventing infections, but it really stings. Your tea bag is better, but salt may help when the tea doesn’t. Stress Guard can soothe the stinging.
  • I give fish with dropsy daily Epsom salt baths. Sometimes I’ll leave them in there for an hour or more if the swelling is really bad. I’ll swap out with warm water if it starts getting cold. I’m treating a guppy of mine right now, and long baths don’t seem to bother him.

Upvote 0

Mamastacia3

I’m so sorry about Simon. It’s so good of you to have a vet come see him; you’re giving him the best possible care a fishy could ever have. He lives a wonderful life with someone who cares for him so dearly; he couldn’t ask for anything better. Don’t blame yourself, you did everything you could and it’s not your fault. What happens, happens, and it was meant to be.

If you have access to a vet, I’d have a vet take care of euthanasia. If you ever find yourself needing to use clove oil, generally a fish is considered to have passed away if the gills don’t move for 10 minutes or more.

I could give you some advice on caring for wounds and dropsy. You probably already know this stuff, but I’ll mention it anyway:
  • There is a product called Seachem Stress Guard. It is very helpful for preventing infections after a fish injures itself. I would only use it as needed, and only replace what was removed with water changes (directions on the bottle say to dose daily. I would not do that; it makes a huge mess).
  • Sodium chloride/aquarium salt can also be good for preventing infections, but it really stings. Your tea bag is better, but salt may help when the tea doesn’t. Stress Guard can soothe the stinging.
  • I give fish with dropsy daily Epsom salt baths. Sometimes I’ll leave them in there for an hour or more if the swelling is really bad. I’ll swap out with warm water if it starts getting cold. I’m treating a guppy of mine right now, and long baths don’t seem to bother him.

Thank you. I was/have been doing all of those things (glad to know I’m doing everything I can).

Upvote 0

Mamastacia3

Thank you all so very much. Simon passed this morning. I went to check on him and he was gone. I’m terribly sad, but also relieved that his suffering is over. I love fishkeeping, but this is the worst part. Thank you for all of your kind words.

Attachments

• 0C466868-66F9-4A08-B0B7-579385765178.jpeg
    0C466868-66F9-4A08-B0B7-579385765178.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BettaBoy2457
Replies
Views
JamesL12