The Shame I Saw - Betta Treatment

JLeeM

Hello.

So we all know about bettas being kept in cups in big chain stores. My PetSmart usually has pretty decent looking bettas. A lot better than other places I've been to.

Today however, they had one that truly disturbed me. There was a blue veiltail or half moon (don't remember) with a SERIOUS case of popeye. Both of his eyes were swollen completely out of their sockets. I could go into more detail, but won't. They had him hid in the back, and the lid of his cup had "20% off" written in black sharpie..........

Really? That right there my friends is sick. I don't even know how to treat popeye, but I doubt he can even be saved.

Sean Smith

Treat pop eye as a serious bacterial infection . Go to the manager and ask if you can have it for free and try to help it . No promises it would make it but it might with medicine and clean water . I rescue Bettas all the time from big chain stores and I have a 75 chance of getting them healthy again and will give them to someone I know who will take care of them . One of my prettiest female baby Bettas was breed from one rescue that looked horrible but revived into a beautiful betta

KaluOwe

That is so sad. Maybe someone could come along and help the little guy out in store...but it sounds like he needs to be put down (if no one has the means to care for him). It really is a shame.

Sean Smith

Popeye is cureable . But it does need meds and daily water changes

JLeeM

Sean Smith said:
Treat pop eye as a serious bacterial infection . Go to the manager and ask if you can have it for free and try to help it . No promises it would make it but it might with medicine and clean water . I rescue Bettas all the time from big chain stores and I have a 75 chance of getting them healthy again and will give them to someone I know who will take care of them . One of my prettiest female baby Bettas was breed from one rescue that looked horrible but revived into a beautiful betta
Trust me, I wanted to help him. He was a beautiful fish except for his poor little eyes. I don't have a spare tank or equipment for him though. I'm also already trying to fix my own betta's mild case of fin rot.

Sean Smith

For fin rot I'd recommend aquarium salt and a tiny bit of melafix . A little less than one tenth of what the directions say . Their labyrinth organ makes that stuff harmful to Bettas in higher doses unlike normal fish . If that doesn't work . Get medication with methylene blue in it. And don't forget to keep the water clean too

Prism

Can we see some pictures of him? Poor guy, hes going thru a lot lately. I hope you can do the right thing, and he can get all better.

JLeeM

Sean Smith said:
For fin rot I'd recommend aquarium salt and a tiny bit of melafix . A little less than one tenth of what the directions say . Their labyrinth organ makes that stuff harmful to Bettas in higher doses unlike normal fish . If that doesn't work . Get medication with methylene blue in it. And don't forget to keep the water clean too
Thanks for the advice. I treated him for bacteria. That ends today, and he's doing a lot better so far. Going to do a large water change today and give him some aquarium salt to heal the injuries. His fins are opening back up, and already showing new growth. I'm very excited to get him back in shape.

Aquaer said:
Can we see some pictures of him? Poor guy, hes going thru a lot lately. I hope you can do the right thing, and he can get all better.
I'll tag you in the original thread about him. I got a somewhat decent picture last night.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom