The secrets to adding your betta to a community tank

The secrets to adding your betta to a community tank 2020-12-02

No permission to download
BettasAreSuperior
BettasAreSuperior submitted a new resource:

Bettas and community tanks. Debunking myths and explaining everything. - Are you starting a community tank and need a peaceful betta? Read this article for more insight!

Hello! BettasAreSuperior here! So, the first time I set up a community tank was my planted 20 gallon long. I was quite excited BUT I wanted to add a betta to my peaceful community tank. Yes! A betta. But bettas are known to be fierce fighters. They are called Siamese fighting fish for a reason. Is my dream of a betta in a community tank crushed? Noooo! Okay, okay calm down. I got this. Just got to do some research.

The age-old question and myth: Can bettas be in...

LadfromLondon
BettasAreSuperior said:
BettasAreSuperior submitted a new resource:
Excellent document. Good idea to condense this into one document, as this question gets asked so often!

BettasAreSuperior
LadfromLondon said:
Excellent document. Good idea to condense this into one document, as this question gets asked so often!
Thank you LadfromLondon . This means a lot to me!

CHJ
Hmm.
I have never had an issue with male bettas in a community tank and my LFS brings in only top end who flare like crazy. They tend to end up living with tetras, rasps, danios, and bottom dwellers never had an issue.
My usual concern is other fish picking on them/nipping as they are not fast swimmers and get slower as their fins grow out.

StarGirl
What about Female Bettas?

redmare
Can I suggest two additions?
1. I've had success holding the bettas up to guppy or tetra tanks at the store to gauge their reactions to them, I think that can be an even better indicator than the neighbour bettas.
2. There's a reason to go with both short finned and long finned bettas. If your other fish are small and more likely to be chased/hunted by the betta, get long fins- he'll never be able to keep up with the little ones and they'll be safe. If you have tankmates that are more prone to fin-nipping and more likely to bother your betta, go with short fins so the betta can escape.
Something else that might be fun to add is a list of some favourite tank mates, say top 3 for a 5 gal, 10 gal, 20 gal, and 29+! I definitely have some ideas if you are interested in making that list.
Really good article! Well done, something we totally needed on here!

Betta'sAnonymous
Only add i would suggest is about the importance of having a back-up plan and either having a tank on standby or the means to get one if it all hits the fan.

BettasAreSuperior
CHJ said:
Hmm.
I have never had an issue with male bettas in a community tank and my LFS brings in the only top-end who flare like crazy. They tend to end up living with tetras, rasps, danios, and bottom dwellers never had an issue.
My usual concern is other fish picking on them/nipping as they are not fast swimmers and get slower as their fins grow out.
Well, addressing the last sentence. Plakat bettas and female betta can solve that. I am not sure how to address the rest of your concerns the article is just based on my experience and experienced and know.
StarGirl said:
What about Female Bettas?
That's true. females can also be mellower and they don't have large, heavy fins. I will add that right now, thank you.
redmare said:
Can I suggest two additions?
1. I've had success holding the bettas up to guppy or tetra tanks at the store to gauge their reactions to them, I think that can be an even better indicator than the neighbor bettas.
2. There's a reason to go with both short finned and long finned bettas. If your other fish are small and more likely to be chased/hunted by the betta, get long fins- he'll never be able to keep up with the little ones and they'll be safe. If you have tankmates that are more prone to fin-nipping and more likely to bother your betta, go with short fins so the betta can escape.
Something else that might be fun to add is a list of some favourite tank mates, say top 3 for a 5 gal, 10 gal, 20 gal, and 29+! I definitely have some ideas if you are interested in making that list.
Really good article! Well done, something we totally needed on here!
Yes, you can! This article is always improving. Also, okay I will definitely add those now, thank you.

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Only add i would suggest is about the importance of having a back-up plan and either having a tank on standby or the means to get one if it all hits the fan.
I just saw this now. I will add that as well as other changes I am making right now. Thanks!

Okay, guys! I edited it to your suggestions! You can reread for more info! Also, should I add a section of rough guidelines section for betta tankmates?

Also, guys this article's icon shows a setting wheel. How do I change that? Also, should I add a section of rough guidelines section for betta tankmates? Mike

AcornTheBetta
BettasAreSuperior said:
Also, guys this article's icon shows a setting wheel. How do I change that? Also, should I add a section of rough guidelines section for betta tankmates?
I'm going to look into how you edit it rn. I think you should add that section.

BettasAreSuperior
AcornTheBetta said:
I'm going to look into how you edit it rn. I think you should add that section.
Ok, thanks!

redmare
BettasAreSuperior said:
Also, guys this article's icon shows a setting wheel. How do I change that? Also, should I add a section of rough guidelines section for betta tankmates? Mike
Yes you should! I'd love to help with that- I have direct personal experience with a few combinations and insight about many others.

minervalong
I've had great luck at keeping a male Betta in a community tank. Instead of trying to manipulate cups, I carry a little mirror for the flare test. Never get a Crown tail for a community tank, they are among the most aggressive. I also look to see if he's blowing bubbles. I've found the best community bettas are healthy and happy boys that blow bubbles in their little cups.

AcornTheBetta
minervalong said:
I've had great luck at keeping a male Betta in a community tank. Instead of trying to manipulate cups, I carry a little mirror for the flare test. Never get a Crown tail for a community tank, they are among the most aggressive. I also look to see if he's blowing bubbles. I've found the best community bettas are healthy and happy boys that blow bubbles in their little cups.
Crowntails are not necessarily more aggressive than other types of bettas. It really depends on the individual fish and not the tail type.

minervalong
AcornTheBetta said:
Crowntails are not necessarily more aggressive than other types of bettas. It really depends on the individual fish and not the tail type.
I've only kept three, so that is a small sampling. But each and every one were singletons because they wouldn't behave in the community. I've had other bettas styles to fool me, but not every single one. After Charles Cromwell, I stopped getting that type.

BettasAreSuperior
I tried the techniques I listed and it worked! I got a new betta for my community tank. He is very peaceful. I put him next to the other cups and he didn't flare, which is a good sign. Then I put him against some tetras (I think they were serpae tetras) and he didn't react. I put him in the tank and it worked! I am so very glad.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom