The saltwater tank appears to be fine but the corals look stressed-now what? :(

1. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi all,
    My tank seems fine today (for those that saw my late night post last night) with the exception that the corals look somewhat stressed-less color sort of closed. ryanr or 1971roadrunner have any ideas to help me help them?
    The fish and shrimp are okay but I may have lost some of my snails-no I did lose some snails! :(
    I have the RO/DI water attached with the auto top off and when the problem with the crab (see previous thread) occurred-it put all of the 7g container into the tank and diluted the salinity - when checked it was 1.018 instead of 1.024 which is what I had settled on keeping the tank at and seemed to be a good goal.
    Ideas on how to salvage my corals or if I just wait it out?

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

What's your salinity now?

What corals do you have?

3. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi ryanr
    Salinity last night had gone to 1.018. I had to add water so the salinity of the added was 1.024 but I mixed in more salt mix. I had the salinity to 1.022 by early morning. It is now at 1.023 and if you approve, will raise it to 1.024 tomorrow.
    The corals:
    montipora capricornus
    polyps
    montipora plating-this one now looks bad
    purple ricorda and purple mushroom x 2
    sponge -red and orange
    acropora
    4 shaving bush
    2 purple plumb gorgonian
    purple cactus gorgonian
    blue ricordia
    corky finger gorgonian
    pink birdnest
    purple shag gorgonian
    aqua cultured blue snowflakes looks bad
    lost the bubble tip anemone

4. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

WOW, go hard or go home :giggle:

Monti's, acros, sponges, gorgonians - none of which are easy to keep. I would not have added them to an immature tank, but I'm cautious like that. I also don't have a lot of experience with SPS - every time I try to keep SPS, my Coral Beauty has a nice dinner.

My guess is the loss of the BTA is the reason the corals look bad. BTA's can excrete a poison when they die - kind of a 'one last gasp' at survival. If you don't already, run some carbon for a few days to help absorb anything that might be in the water column.

But also, rapid changes in water chemistry will affect them, and they'll be struggling a little.

I honestly don't how quickly to bring up the salinity, I would try and stabilise, 1.023 isn't too bad, I'd let it stabilise for a few days.

Also, keep an eye on your skimmer output, it may increase a little.

5. claireputput Well Known Member Member

ryanr, thanks the skimmer has tripled in output today. I am running the phosban, the nitrate remover-purigen and so where should I put the carbon? I have extra hob that I could add with just a carbon filter-if you believe that is a good idea
    Nitrates are less than 5 and ammonia has stayed at 0-also no nitrites.
    ph is 8.0

6. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

The skimmer production has probably gone up for two reasons, first the increase in salinity will generate greater foaming. Secondly, there may be more dissolved organics in the water column to extract. The 'nose' test will tell you which it is :)

As for the carbon, it won't hurt to run it in a HOB if you choose. Just be sure to run it a high flow area.