The Right Supplies For Betta Tank

ScorpionGuy
I went to the store today and bought all the supplies that I can afford at the moment. I bought the Aqueon Basic Kit Aquarium 10, two 5 five pound bags of black gravel, and API REEF MASTER TEST KIT. I am a bit concerned about the test kit because I didn't realize that it was meant for reef tanks, and I don't think it has an ammonia tester. Next time I go to the store I am going to buy a gravel vacuum, heater, fish food, decorations, and the inhabitants of the tank. is there anything else that I need? I think I forgot to mention that this is for a betta. I am going to go ahead and setup the tank and cycle it because I don't think that I need anything else at the moment to cycle it.

Reeferxbetta
I would pick up the heater, decor, etc. before getting the betta, you'll want the tank to be totally set up and cycled and you'll also want to be sure that the heater is reliable and holds a steady temp. I'd return the test kit, it really contains nothing that you'll need (except nitrate) so it would be a total waste of money, really all you need for a simple (not planted) betta tank is ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph, just exchange it for the freshwater master test kit. I think your setup sounds good so far, just keep in mind that your filter may need a little modification as some filters tend to be too strong for bettas.

david1978
I know I will get yelled at for this but I would return the test kit and get a heater. With only a betta in a ten gallon tank as long as you keep up on your water changes you can have your water tested at most fish stores. Yes a test kit is nice but not a must.

TexasDomer
It's also cheaper to order many things online or second hand. For instance, you can get sand for $8-12 for a 50 lb bag (plenty for the tank and any others you want to get!) instead of spending double that on much less sand from the pet store.

ScorpionGuy
It's also cheaper to order many things online or second hand. For instance, you can get sand for $8-12 for a 50 lb bag (plenty for the tank and any others you want to get!) instead of spending double that on much less sand from the pet store.
I can't order online

TexasDomer
Darn, Ebay and Amazon have some cheap stuff!

ScorpionGuy
I'll try to return the test kit. I can't setup the tank yet because the conditioner that came with the kit leaked everywhere and I don' have any more. So I have to wait until my birthday I guess so I can buy everything and set it all up. Unless there is a way to start the cycle without water conditioner.

Darn, Ebay and Amazon have some cheap stuff!
I know, there are a million things that I wish I could get online.

TexasDomer
No, the bacteria will die if there are chlorine or chloramines in the water.

ScorpionGuy
No, the bacteria will die if there are chlorine or chloramines in the water.
I meant another way to get rid of the chlorine.

Reeferxbetta
Fill the tank with water for a bit, and then begin cycling. Chlorine takes about 24 hours to dissipate I believe, but I'm not sure about chloramine, some say a week, some say it never dissipates. Do you know what your water is treated with?

ScorpionGuy
Fill the tank with water for a bit, and then begin cycling. Chlorine takes about 24 hours to dissipate I believe, but I'm not sure about chloramine, some say a week, some say it never dissipates. Do you know what your water is treated with?
I don't know what is in my tap water. The water I use for my reptiles and inverts is boiled beforehand to remove the stuff in the water.

Reeferxbetta
I don't think I would trust it in a fish tank without conditioner if you're not sure what it's treated with. When are you able to get more supplies? For my reptiles, I usually just use the "if it's safe for me, it's safe for them" rule, I prefer bottled water for them, but I drink my tap water all the time, and it has no bad taste/smell.

ScorpionGuy
When are you able to get more supplies?
Probably sometime after my birthday in March.

TexasDomer
I'd wait. Chlorine can be gassed off with an air stone, chloramines and heavy metals cannot.

ScorpionGuy
I'd wait. Chlorine can be gassed off with an air stone, chloramines and heavy metals cannot.
I will wait then. I'm kinda frustrated that the water conditioner I had leaked. Now I have to wait even longer to get my first fish. But, whatever I would rather get the proper setup and have my pet live longer instead of buying it now and having it fall ill.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
Swishy
Replies
Views
Addie42
Replies
Views