The return of BBA

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Zapfish, Jul 6, 2015.

1. ZapfishValued MemberMember

I need help. I got black beard algae a month or so ago and started treating with excel. After about three weeks it all turned red and got eaten. I still dose daily with excel but now it is back. What can I do?

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. NicoFordValued MemberMember

How long ate your lights on? Try cutting light back by a few hours

Sent from my VS840 4G using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. ZapfishValued MemberMember

My lights are on for an hour in the morning and then from 3-10pm. We have a lot of windows in that room so should I change the lights in accordance with when the sun is out?

4. NicoFordValued MemberMember

You could do that, but if your aquarium gets a ton of light in the day.maybe try covering the sides to let in less light

5. ZapfishValued MemberMember

Ok the sun only hits it directly for maybe 30minutes. How many hours should the lights be on?

6. GekcoWell Known MemberMember

TBH, I hear that the best way to deal with algae is black out. However if you have live plants then don't do a black out. I hear you can also put a 2 hour window in between the lights being on and that can also help with algae because it has issues multiplying in split light. I think the lights should be on for roughly 8-10 hours.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. ZapfishValued MemberMember

So lights on for an hour and then off for two?

8. GekcoWell Known MemberMember

I would try and turn them off in the middle of the lighting period, if you can't then you could put your lights on a timer.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. NicoFordValued MemberMember

Yeah timers are perfect. Only like 3 bucks at Walmart

10. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

How big is your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. ZapfishValued MemberMember

I have the lights on a timer right now so I'll just re program it. Also my tank is 29g. It is a little overstocked right now because my Platy just gave birth and the fry aren't big enough to give away yet.

12. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I was going to suggest you get some Siamese Algae Eaters to help with the BBA, but your tank isnt big enough.

13. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Since you are getting some sunlight in your tank, I would leave the lights on the tank off for a few days to a week. I would also keep dosing the BBA with Excel. When you are to the point of turning the tank lights back on, I would start with 4 hours a day and see how that goes.

I would also get an oral syringe and dose the Excel with that directly onto the BBA.

14. ZapfishValued MemberMember

Ok I will try that. I already use a syringe to dose but I will apply it directly to the BBA. How will I be able to tell if my plants aren't getting enough light?

15. GekcoWell Known MemberMember

I think the leaves start to turn brown if they aren't getting enough light, not 100% sure not an expert on aquatic plants lol.

16. I keep fishWell Known MemberMember

I have had experience with BBA and the best way to get rid of it is to do some manual labor, if it is on decor bleach dip it to kill it. Changing your lighting schedule may also help.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  17. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

The leaves will start to droop. They can go for awhile with no light at all. And as long as there is sunlight, they should be fine. Just keep an eye on them. If they start to droop too much and just look like they are struggling, give them more light.

18. ZapfishValued MemberMember

Ok I will try that. I can't bleach because my tank has a large one piece rock structure that I can't remove.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice