The rebuild

1. Landozer18

Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

Today I started the rebuild process for my tank or tanks not sure how thats fully going to work yet.
    I started off by cleaning out the 28g. I removed all the susbtrate and all water then rubbed/scrubbed the decor/plants. I then did the same with the filter and heater. After I all that I rinsed eveything with vinegar.
    Then re rinsed with water.

I had black long slimmy alagae that I couldn't slow down. I tried manually pulling it out(that didn't work),then less light time(also didnt work), then stopped feeding my plants(that didn't work, my plants started to die though).

I have readded the filter, pump & some decor with live plants. I also added aquarium gravel I had saved for the tank that I had from a previous tank.

Anyone see anything I missed?

Also if I didn't touch the media will this tank instantly cycle?
    I will still do water tests tomorrow evening regardless.

2. WaterSpirit

WaterSpirit Valued Member Member

Where do you get your water from? City water or well water? If from a well and you live in a rural area, there could be phosphates in the water from agriculture. Phosphates increase algae growth.

3. OP
    OP
    Landozer18

City water. :)

4. WaterSpirit

Hmmmm.....maybe you were feeding your fish food that had high levels of phophorus in it which could lead to such a problem. Cleaning your tank the way you did, the algae shouldn't be a problem anymore. Not so sure about your cycle now though. Your tank might still cycle since you didn't touch the media or gravel (that will help to re-establish your tank). Only thing you can do is just test the water and see if it cycles when you add pure ammonia or fish to your tank. I've read that the best way to get your tank cycled is by seeding (adding gravel/substrate/filter media/water from a healthy established tank to a new tank). Should work immediately! Keep us updated! It will add more knowledge to the community about cycling :)

5. OP
    OP
    Landozer18

The media was from that tank before i cleaned it. I just cleaned the filter housing and kept the media and reinstalled the media. Im not going to do anything with the tank now for like two weeks. Im even considering turning off the light for a week or so.

6. WaterSpirit

7. OP
    OP
    Landozer18

Great link thanks!
    Helped me figure out my plan a little better.
    Im gonna let no waste happen in this tank for 2 weeks now.
    NO feeding - NO fish - Looking after my live plants!
    I think I know How I got this now though!
    My tanks got really hot this summer for about 3 days! My live plants in return died and the dead leaves didn't get removed immediatly!

8. WaterSpirit

Cool! Glad it helped ya and it helped me too for when I may have this problem :) darn algae!

9. OP
    OP
    Landozer18

It's terrible stuff! I think im gonna turn off the tank light tomorrow after I do my water tests and leave it off for a week or so.

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

11. OP
    OP
    Landozer18

Thanks for the great link I will read it when I don't work so late :) That way it actually sinks in!

12. OP
    OP
    Landozer18

I just tested that water and got 7.5 ph 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates. Im having troubles figuring out what that really means. Also I unplugged the light and was planning on leaving it that way until tuesdsay. Im gonna test the water in the other tank tomorrow evening.

13. WaterSpirit

It could be your test kit isn't providing an accurate reading, or that's the pH of your tap water. Some water conditioners tend to raise the pH, or maybe some sort of additive you used for the plants, or maybe certain plants raise the pH somewhat.

14. OP
    OP
    Landozer18

Why do you think the test kit may be faulty? Isn't a 7.5ph not too shabby/commom?

15. WaterSpirit

7.5 is good. I was just replying to your comment about how you don't know what this means. In case you were referring to the pH not being where you wanted it. It's good! :)

16. OP
    OP
    Landozer18

I thought you were reffering to the rest with zero's.