The quickest way to get the drift wood ready to roll

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by Reefdweller, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

I just received my driftwood yesterday in the mail. What would you guys say is the quickest way to get it ready for the tank(s)? I bought 3 and one is huge so I cant boil it. I read someone say using the dishwasher with no soap. I do not want the wood to turn my water color. If I did boil the smaller pieces - would a couple of hours be enough? I know some people soak for days or weeks and all this stuff but I just want the quickest way possible. I stay pretty busy so I always seek the quickest way but I want it to be effective of course.

:;toast

2. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I boiled mine for three hours and than put it in the tank and it was fine and the huge piece I have I put it in the dishwasher after doing three cycles of just water to make sure there was no soap and than I washed it three times with the dishwasher and only had alittle color in the tank but seeing it is still cycling I think it is okay.

First pic is my ten gallon with the piece I boiled and the second is the huge piece in my 75 gallon that is cycling.

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I boiled mine for a total of roughly 3-4 hours and let it soak overnight in between boilings. My water did not turn color at all, but every piece of wood is different. For the larger piece you can try either pouring boiling water over it, or baking it, but if you can't soak it, you might not be able to get the tannins out, which is what darkens the water.

4. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of wood did you get? That makes a difference, I've found, in how heavy the tannins will be. Malaysian driftwood barely has any tannins, but mopani is loaded.

There is no "quick" way to get the results you're looking for, which is 0 tannins.

5. jbdub

jbdub Valued Member Member

I'd try and do it so you can leave it soaking for at least 24hrs, preferably changing the water a few times as well. I failed to do that once and my water had that off colour for about 3 weeks.

6. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

Its all Malaysian driftwood. So these require less work to get them tank ready? Thats good to hear. I think I will just boil it for a couple of hours and see how it does in the tank. If it starts to turn the water I will pull it out and boil it some more.

7. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

I ran all 3 pieces in the dishwasher twice so I am going add a piece or 2 tonight or tomorrow and see how it does over the weekend. Hopefully being its Malaysian wood there will be little to no tannins in it. It should be squeaky clean that's for sure. I am planning a partial water change so this will work out well.

8. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I rinsed all of my Malaysian Driftwood with warm water (new wood, never used) and placed it in the tanks. I didn't presoak or boil as I do not mind the tea colored water.

If pieces are too big to boil and you want to make sure there is nothing living on the wood, if it came from another tank or something, then pour boiling water over it. Children get your parents help here!

Ken

9. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Keep in mind that fish LOVE tannins. It's just some humans that don't. I personally love that jungle look they give the tanks. I've never boiled my DW.

10. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

and some humans too - tea :;sh :giggle:

Some of us don't like the look of the yellow/brown tinge in the tank.

You can try an remove the tinge with activated carbon - but this is a temporary measure, the AC needs to be replaced every 3-4 weeks to maintain ultimate effectiveness.

11. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

Fish really like the tannins? Why is that?

12. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

When I have a piece that's large I wash it outside w/ hose. I've used a metal covered scouring pad and scrubbed well. Rinse and scrub then rinse well.
    No tannins.

13. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I have only worked with mopani, and as stated its a big tannin mop. I boiled a small piece(maybe 13-15" long) of mopani root for 5-6 hours, it was still putting off tannins so i soaked it for 18 hours as well.

14. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

I had no idea that the type wood made a difference. I assumed DW was DW but hey thats what this forum is all about it learning from each other. I put a piece of mine in the 75 last night and I gotta say I see no tannins or water color changes at all so all is well here.

15. B

Borisbbadd Guest

Personally, I kind of like the look of tannins in the water.

16. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

The Pee water look? :;laughing

Just kidding of course.

17. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

i love the tannin look. Its just, when the lights are off, the tank looks kinda nasty XD

18. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I didn't like the tannis look until I had live plants. I think the tinged water makes the plants look super green and healthy, and the livestock more colorful. I've done multiple things for large pieces, but my favorite is a combination of steaming/baking. Basically baking it with a roaster full of water underneath it. I find the water helps water log it, as well as keeping me from worrying about fires :giggle: I don't know if that will help with tannis or not though....

19. i

iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Just a side note here.

I have a 17 kilogram piece of mopani wood. Now while the weight doesnt mean much, the thickness does. At the largest point it is 22cm radius.

I boiled it for 3 days in a huge water heater, and have been soaking it for 4 months now. I see no difference in the rate at which tannins are leaching. It will soon be going into my 110g tank though, as i also like the look of the tannin-loaded water in a planted tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice