The Question Everyone Dreads To Ask.

Ashley Campbell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would like to start off by saying that it has been a bad month for me with my fish. It truly sad to say that I have lost two of my fish. My boy Mo who stole my heart immediately with his colors and personality. My second was Tuna my SOs female in the sorority that we have. We didn't notice she was gone for a while.

We had to separate the tank because of the aggression. I took the two females that were less aggressive and badly injured out of the tank and into a tank for treatment.

Unfortunately my one female has lost all of her color and some of her scales. Has collumaris and fin rot. The other had a bad injury to her tail. I treated it with kanaplex and metroplex for 1 week. My one fish named Fish, is getting better and can see signs of regrowth. My other fish is not doing better and is actually worse.

So I guess my question is what is the best way to euthanize fish. I heard clove oil but I cannot find any in my local stores and would like to do it sooner so she doesn't have to suffer.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Clove oil is the most humane. I wouldn't put him in the freezer though, because i was just reading something about nerve reactions to the cold and how fish respond. If you have the stomach, you could also do the pin in the brain method you learned in school on your frogs, but i prefer clove oil. I also recommend to start dosing with a medication from maracyrn which appears to be a much better efficent brand. You could also add garlic to the diet to boost the immune sytems of your fish. Indian almond leaves could be added which have antifungal properties for your betta. Lastly, if this is a last case scenario, you might need to use salt. I usually highly disagree with salt baths for bettas, but last case is different in my opinion. Try a salt dip, not a bath, and see if that helps.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For larger fish I go with pithing, or basically destroying the brain. Smaller fish I put in a tupperware container of tank water and slowly replace it with cooler and cooler water to slow the nervous system down. Then I put them in the freezer for an hour or so. They're usually dead before I put them in the freezer.

I've also used alcohol - very strong isopropyl, and it's extremely quick but I can't imagine it's very comfortable.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would only recommend clove oil euthanasia because it’s the most peaceful, and relaxing on the fish. They do not feel a thing, and it basically just puts them into a deep sleep before you finish with the final dose.

Gadfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ice bath. A bucket with extremly cold iced water. Very fast, everything shuts down.

Ashley Campbell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I finally decided to go to one more walmart because they never know what they have online and found it. My girl is swimming with the fishes

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom