The Point Of Prime?

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners, Additives and Supplements' started by Kingofnon, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Kingofnon

Kingofnon Valued Member Member

So you do a water change and you use lets say, Big Als' water conditioner to clean the water and chlorine. every water change, you use it on the water you are adding to keep it clean.

So now you have someone who does a water change and uses prime to remove the chlorine.

Now ok, prime detoxifies nitrite and nitrate as well, but only for 24 hours, so it seems pointless. What the point of using it for that as it doesn't fix the problem just masks it for 24 hours.

Therefore the only real use i see for it is to clean the chlorine out, which any aquarium chlorine remover does. So prime is twice as expensive as a no name aquarium water conditioner, an really adds nothing more than a water conditioner. so why spend the extra money.

Basically...whats the point of it?

2. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Well, when you have .25-.5 ammonia in your tap water (and many people do have small amounts of ammonia in their tap) it is helpful to have that ammonia detoxified while the beneficial bacteria in the filter eats up the ammonia. The BB in my established tanks usually eat up the ammonia from a water change in less than 24 hours. And it is nice to know that during that time, the ammonia will not affect the fish, thanks to the prime. :)

Its also nice to have for times you may deal with sudden unexplained spikes, or mini cycles.

3. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

It also binds heavy toxic metals. Does Bob's conditioner do that? (copper, lead, nickel)

4. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

You would need to compare the volumes of water treated by each product if you're going to compare value. Prime is used at a rate of 2 drops per gallon, I can't (easily) find the dosage info for BAs product.
    You should not be relying on prime to 'clean' your water, or neutralize ammo/nitrites unless you have a spike or cycle failure. If your tank is properly cycled and stable (it is, right?), then yes, that feature/aspect of Prime is not useful when doing a water change.
    But those of us who use it, rely on it, and swear by it do so because we trust the brand, and find value in what it does.
    Look at it another way: if you need a dechlorinator for water changes, AND a detoxifier for ammo/nitrites (again, if you have a spike or cycle crash), that's 2 different products you would need on your shelf, but seachem provides them all in one. Isn't that good value?

5. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

It's also very concentrated. A lot of conditioners I know call for 1ml per 2l of water, so prime actually saves money in the long run.

It's also helpful in an emergency ammonia spike.

6. OP
    OP
    Kingofnon

Ok. I now understand thanks guys!!

7. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

Sadly I think some have come to believe that prime is some kind of magic stuff. It is first and foremost a water conditioner. There are less expensive water conditioners and some of them claim to do most of what Prime claims to do. Granted with some of them one has to use more product each time so I'm not sure Prime is more expensive in the long run.

Prime has been recommended so often some folks think it is a totally necessary product. It isn't. Can one can have a healthy tank without using it, yes.

We just have to take SeaChems word that it does what it claims to do and if it gives us peace of mind maybe that makes it worth using in the long run.

as always, just my humble opinion

8. Zoomo

Zoomo Well Known Member Member

I'm really not even sure what I use it for but somebody, back when I kidnapped and rescued my son's Betta, recommended it, and I have been using it ever since, but I really do not know what it does, other than make the water safe with water changes. I only use it if find levels rising on other things, or with water changes. I am running out though because I surely do not use what the bottle says, I just kind of pour it in. I used to use in early October the little bottle that squirts out, conditioner, think it's called Betta Safe? Yup, just googled it and it is called that and I still have a few bottles of it that I will squirt here and there.

9. Ioana Dog

Ioana Dog Valued Member Member

Can you add too much when using at as a water conditioner? Will it hurt the fish or just waste some?

10. Zoomo

To be completely honest, I have no idea. I just read tons of posts telling people to use 2 times the recommended, 3 times the recommended, etc., when ammonia or whatever is high. I don't like pour half a bottle or anything but do not measure out drops either. It has no way to do that, its a pour bottle. Usually a half cap, sometimes I do half cap per thingy I am using to carry water to the tank, but probably 1 half cap is enough for my 5.3 gallon tanks. No fish have died though since October, so...Who knows?

11. TexasGuppy

If it put way too much in they say it can cause a Ph swing which can be bad for fish... Even their support site says that, but I've only seen one small test somebody did and somebody questioned his methodology.. Either way, I'd avoid mass overdose. SeaChem up to 5x overdose is ok.

12. TexasGuppy

1/2 a cap is around a 6x normal dose on a 5g tank (depending on what you consider 'capful').. so you're a little over the max recommended 5x overdose.

13. Zoomo

Ok, thanks!!! Will go down some. It's really hard to pour that little.

14. dwarfpufferlover

dwarfpufferlover Well Known Member Member

Prime is also a reducing agent and according to seachem it can reduce oxygen levels in extreme overdose.

15. Zoomo

Thanks read it and really says it would take a massive overdose to have any real effect; however, I had no clue it only last 24-48 hours. I had my cycles all going great and then took the tanks apart 3 times and killed my cycle I think, although kept some media, but when putting it all back together, only used prime when adding the new water to the tank, and with water changes. I do not use it every day. Need to check my levels I guess again.

16. OP
    OP
    Kingofnon

So basically prime

Conditions water and 100%
    And then acts as a detoxifiers for ammonia and nitrate on the changed water for 24hours until the filter catches up...like a buffer?

17. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

And that is why I use a syringe without a needle to dispense my Prime. It is marked in mls so is easy to add the proper amount each time.

When I do my water change I normally remove 16 gallons so I have to fill my 4 gallon bucket 4 times when refilling. I add 1 ml to each 4 gallons so my tank actually gets 4 mls of Prime each week.

18. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

When I get a new bottle of prime i punch a couple of holes in the foil seal.. and use a 2.5 gallon bucket. 8 drops go in. It's probably overdose but I've not had any problems at all. I've been using it as long as I can remember. There used to be a label on it years ago that said it did 50 odd different things for your aquarium if I remember right.

19. HORNET1

HORNET1 Well Known Member Member

I perform two 30% water changes every week and each time I condition my water with Tetra Aquasafe Plus.
    I have never used Prime and my tanks are very healthy.
    (I have nothing against Prime, I've simply never used it).
    16268AU.jpg

20. Galathiel

Galathiel Well Known Member Member

For my smaller tanks, I actually have the smaller flip top size of Prime. I then refill it with my larger Prime bottle that I use for my larger aquarium. The flip top lets you measure out drops .. it doesn't just pour out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice