The Planted Tank - 40gal - 36x18x16

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by 1611mac, Aug 14, 2015.

1. 1611macValued MemberMember

My new tank:
    It was such a steal I had to grab it from an online listing. It's a 40gal - 36x18x17. The "breeder" size was an accident, I really wasn't looking for one but It got me to thinking... shallow tank (so to speak) equals more light to the bottom!

So for a planted tank... what are advantages and dis-advantages in dealing with this size tank? Ideas?

I have little to no planted tank experience... doing a lot of reading but I'd most like to hear from the experts! That's You!

Thanks in advance.

2. jay275475Valued MemberMember

Its not that much of a shallow tank, it is compared to lets say a 2-3 foot tall tank. With a tank that size you wouldn't need as powerful lights then a deeper tank. I don't really see how this is much of an advantage or disadvantage.

To be clear - Shallow tank doesn't equal more light on the bottom well it does mean more PAR at the bottom with same light if you put it on a shallower tank compared to a deeper tank.

3. 1611macValued MemberMember

I'm speaking relative to 40 gal.... it's "shallow" because its wider than it is deep. 18 front to back, 17 in height. That is a lot of substrate area for 40 gallons is it not? Seems like some nice "layouts" could be done... I could be wrong... like I said, I'm a noob.

4. jay275475Valued MemberMember

Its a regular tank :p But it does have nice floorspace, and it is a Breeder.
    Most tanks are wider then tall.

5. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Deeper tanks are nicer than a narrower tank in general. The footprint will allow for larger decor such as rock work and driftwood in a planted tank. I'm not sure if this is an advantage, just nicer.
    I would use a dark substrate with driftwood. Tie some java ferns to the wood. Anubias is another plant that is easy to keep but needs to be attached to wood or rocks. Crypts, wisteria, vals, and swords are also easy to keep beginner plants.

Research, research, research.... Welcome to the forum :)

6. JswinWell Known MemberMember

Definitely gives you more room for plants my main planted is a 40b

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. BigXorValued MemberMember

Here's my 38G, it's 18in tall.

The lights are T5HO with one 4000K on for 12 hours and two 6500K on for 6 hours between. CO2 and ferts.

38_1.jpg

8. 1611macValued MemberMember

Nice! May I ask? The moss on the left which is suction cupped on... purpose other than visual? Fry hiding place?

9. BigXorValued MemberMember

I just made that with Peacock Moss and I have a bunch of yellow shrimp growing in another tank. I figure by the time the shrimp are mature and breeding (2 months) the moss wall will be grown out. the shrimp can forage and propagate in the moss.

yellowshrimp2.jpg

10. 1611macValued MemberMember

Always something to learn.. (I didn't know shrimp could propagate moss. I'll read....) - Thank you very much. Looking forward to planning my 40g.

11. BigXorValued MemberMember

Shrimp don't propagate moss. I used the wrong word. Forage and breed is what I meant.

12. 1611macValued MemberMember

Ahh yes... I envisioned little shrimp with their tiny tubes of super-glue....:) Forage/breed.. that makes sense.

13. BigXorValued MemberMember

laugh.gif

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice