The Panda Saga continues...

1. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

First of all I would like to say Merry Christmas to all!:;shat
    I can't believe I am still having more questions on this, but here goes...
    My little panda has been in the Q tank for 4 days now, and I am still a bit concerned. He looks ok but mainly he still just sits at the bottom, with the occasional adjustment to a different spot. I changed about 40% of his water again this morning, using Prime and some cycle to keep up some temporary bacteria in the tank, and took out the food I put in early this morning.
    That's the problem, he doesn't swim around like my other cats and he is on what appears to be a hunger strike! Is this how a cory behaves when he is all alone in the tank? I am tempted to put the poor little guy in the main tank because this isolation is what may do him in! My LFS does put their stock in quarantine when they get them, I don't know how much longer I can stand to do this to the poor little guy, he seems so sad! what would you guys do?

2. redlessi Well Known Member Member

If it were me, and its not, I would put him in the main tank and keep an eye out. They do so much better in groups.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

why not just do daily partial changes with prime only? drop the cycle period and give him a few days of just fresh, clean , warm water and the prime....he could either be severely lonely as they schooling fish will get that way, or something else is up with him...I know you are qt him for great reasons (new fish is best to qt) but maybe in the future, with schooling fish, get a few of them so stress from being alone wont do them in before anything else might show up....good luck with him!

4. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

So I think what I will do is the daily Prime water change then, twice today when I came into the room he was swimming all over the tank, silly little fish! The only concern I have still is his lack of eating, perhaps though he just doesn't feel comfortable enough to eat. He looks good otherwise. I might end up cutting his Q time short by a few days and setting him free in the main tank. He may not eat until that time. I have read that fish can go for 10 days without food, although would that not depend on their size?

5. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Try feeding him before lights out, he might feel more comfortable eating without people watching :p.

6. rae64 Well Known Member Member

He might be scavenging the bottom when you are not there. I agree, if he has no signs of other illness, i'd say set him free. You may want to try shrimp pellets. (sorry if you already are using them) My little Cory LOVES them!