The Otos are officially out of quarintine!!!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, for those of you who don't know everything that has happened to my poor little guys, Mist has demanded that I tell everyone how amazing he is (and here Marble says that the only reason everyone thinks Mist is so amazing is because he's the one who can't stay out of trouble and use good judgement).

So the Otos started out in a 10 gal with a bunch of messy Guppies and Platys, and despite all my water changes the nitrates refused to go any lower than 20 (and sometimes higher). Well, the Otos didn't like that much and promptly came down with really bad finrot. Not fun. Marble got it first and took about a month to recover, and then right as she got better Mist got finrot. Well about a month or two after Mist's diagnosis (by the time he was almost 100% healed) he decided the base of a plastic plant which I left floating in the tank would be a fun place to go. (It was the type that has a plastic cup thingy and then a bunch of "roots" for the plant over it.) So, there I found him in the morning, tangled between the roots and jammed against the cup thing at a really awkward angle, not to mention being halfway out of the water. He managed to completely shred his caudal fin thrashing around in there, and cut himself in various other places as well. I had to cut him out, and needless to say that plant was not left floating! Well, aside from a permanently disfigured tail fin, he hardly batted an eye at the whole experience. I thought I was out of trouble until one day a Guppy got really sick and soon died. She was diagnosed with TB. :'( Figuring all the fish were lost, I left them where they were and just tried to make them comfortable. Sure enough, one by one all the "very hardy" Guppies and Platys came down with TB and died. But the Otos simply went about their work eating algae as if nothing was happening. Finally (after all the other fish had passed away) I decided they weren't going to get sick after all and moved them to a q tank for a long quarintine to make sure they were going to be ok. Well of course they were great, except a little mad I put them into a boring q tank jail. So my novel ends with them moving (finally!) to the planted tank I set up for them like 8 months ago.

(There Mist, everyone knows how amazing you are, so I can stop typing now right? Like, before I need carpal tunnel?)

;D

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Marvelous and about time. Tell Mist that I am properly impressed and Marble how sorry I am that he has to put up with such an ornery little brother. Are they enjoying the new tank?

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well all I can say is that they'd BETTER be liking their new home cause I nearly killed myself trying to catch the little stinkers. Boy wasn't that a party. Mist came out and played catch me if you can, to which the answer is always "I can't so get back here for pete's sake!!!!!" ;D I swear he was just trying to mess with me...he wasn't scared a bit of the net from the way he swam, he just went calmly about his way while I pulled my hair out trying to get him in the net. : Now of course Marble is easy enough to catch, that is if you can find her. I nearly had a heart failure after I moved all the plants to the side and banged the net all over the tank...and NO Marble. Then after a looooong long time she got bored of hiding from me (or else found some pity for me deep within her heart) and graciously let me catch her.

: ;D

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
;D

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Glad that they can call something finally home

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That's so funny. Oto's are such entertainers. Burt loves to play hide and seek. Ernie hides from me, but never for long. Burt can hide all day from me if he wanted to. The other day I nearly had a heart attack because I couldn't find him. I finally found him 2 hours later on the bottom of a plant. I was ready to pull everything thing out and seek him out. I yelled at him for almost giving me heart failure. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes I have had owners declare their otos dead because they cannot find them and since there has been no body found, I always say not to count them out and usually they are fine; just hiding. The stinkers!!

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom