The Old Disappearing Fish Act

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishywishy71

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good day, Fish Lovers! I have a 30 gallon tank and have a 5" rainbow shark that was the lone survivor of a community tank that I inherited. He has been alone for almost a year. I cleaned the tank up, all ph levels and water seem to be good. So, a couple of weeks ago I added a small catfish of some sort (less than an inch) and a small plecostomus - both with the blessing of the dude at the fish store.

Anyhoo, everything was going along smoothly. I observed no aggression. About 3 days ago I noticed that the plecostomus was missing. I have checked the filter & filter system, the floor around the tank and the little "barrel" in the tank where the shark likes to hide . . . nada, zip, zilch . . . no plecostomus. The plecostomus was bigger than the catfish, and I just don't think he is the culprit. My only conclusion is that it's the shark, but wouldn't there be some trace (scales, bones, body parts)? I'd say the plecostomus was about two inches long at the time of it's disappearance.

Any ideas? Ideas on where the plecostomus could be hiding? At this point, I'm more curious than anything. It's as if it disappeared into thin air!

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had the exact same problem once but it was with 2 neon tetras.I had a 2 1/2 inch angel fish that ate both of the 1 inch neon tetras.I guess it is possible that the pleco was eaten but they are very good hiders.Mine blended in with some of the decoration so just keep looking in the tank.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Fishywishy welcome to FishLore
Your duplicate threads have been deleted.

I'm sorry you haven't found your pleco. Any chance he could have jumped out?
You've probably checked in and around all the plants.
Sometimes they can hide really well.
If he passed (I hope not) other fish can make quick work or the remains.

Good luck, I hope he turns up.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm still searching for a dojo loach thats been missing for 2 days now.

There would be remains if it died and the other fish were eating it.

fry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
do you have a dog/cat? Maybe it jumped and got snacked on?

but I will say my pleco is SO good at hiding there have been times I freaked out, felt around the tank, did not find him, only to see him sauntering around 2 days later. After awhile I got good at finding him. His latest hiding spot is up top on the bottom of the filter return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom