The official help a semi newb finish up his first real tank thread

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Over the past couple months I've been doing loads of research on the hobby and feel like I have a good amount of knowledge on the subject now, but little hands on experience. My experience mostly consists of a 10g with a few guppies and some endlers. Anyways about a month ago I bought and began cycling a 40g breeder, and it seems to have finished it's cycle. I have a leg cast so I haven't even been able to go to the LFS without assistance, so I'm only now going to begin stocking it. Because of this I only did a few water checks the first 3 weeks, first 2 were high ammonia 3rd was nitrites and the last few I've done over the past few days have all shown approx 0, 0, 5. PH is 7.5ish but I'm gonna buy some peat moss to knock it down a peg for what I have planned. On my LFS recommendations I (regrettably) did a fish in cycle with 5 zebra danios. I only realized how stressful it was to the fish later, I wouldn't have done it if I knew it was that stressful to them. So here is what I need help with. Now that I can more easily get to my LFS it's time to start introducing my stock. Here is what I have planned: How should I go about this and how many fish at a time? How long should I wait between adding fish to let the cycle adjust? I was thinking of adding the kuhlis first, say 4-5 then waiting however long to put in the rest of the kuhlis, then starting the tetras, finally ending with the rams and gouramis. Advice? Also how would you change the stock if it were your tank? Fish aren't in yet still time to make adjustments! PS It's planted with a mix of gravel and sand (gravel for the plants sand for the fish).

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally it seems like alot of fish to me.
im picky, but this shouldnt neccesarily effect you I keep americans and asians typically in diff tanks.

if you have any issues it would likely be with the rams. Theyre usually peaceful, but occasionally aggresive with small fish. If they breed, youll need to move fish.

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Since it's a 40g tank shouldn't there be enough room for the rams to select their territory for breeding and still have plenty of space for everything else? Seems like after getting chased off a few times they fish would figure it out.

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Possibly, unless theyre annoyed by the gourami, which are slow swimmers.

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gourami I primarily top swimmers right? That should be enough space.

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well if they seem too aggressive I can give one or the other back

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What about cockatoo apistogramma? Could I have some of those rather than the rams? Would they be more peaceful?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom