The New Guy!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by DylanM, Aug 4, 2017.

1. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

So right as I was about to pay $55 for a bettafish on eBay, I decided to head down to my local petco to check if they had one I liked one more time... Low and behold with their newest shipment had arrived a koi betta that had amazing eyes, just the color I wanted, and unexpected blue highlights on his tail. Not to mention he probably would have priced online somewhere around $40 not including shipping, which I judged by comparing to pics of ones on eBay.

He currently is in a 10 gallon tank with a quietflow 20 (125 kph), a 100 watt adjustable heater that is supposed to be in my 20 gallon planted community, 1 java fern, and a cardboard lid to keep him from jumping until the glass one arrives on the 7th.

Mainly I made this thread to show him off, but I also need help identifying him. So if anyone knows what tail type he is, please let me know. Enjoy these pictures that took me an hour of waiting to get (he doesn't like getting his photo taken).

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 12.27.01 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 12.27.11 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 12.27.24 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 12.27.35 AM.png

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Beautiful betta!! I'm sooooooo jealous only if I can find one like that!

3. OP
    OP
    DylanM

It actually took me 3.5 weeks of searching 5 petcos, 2 petsmarts, and 5 lfs, along with revisiting 3 of those petcos 3 times each to find him. If you want to find one that fits your criteria be persistent XD.

4. Ken Ooi

Ken Ooi Valued Member Member

Looks like a plakat or round tail type. But it's pretty and those colors are striking

5. Ken Ooi

Looks like a plakart type. But it's pretty

6. Kenny777

Yeah I can only think of how many times I'll have to visit my local petsmPet smart and petco.

7. Ken Ooi

So lucky you picked up this Betta !

8. Kenny777

What betta did I pick up :p

9. OP
    OP
    DylanM

I agree, thought it was a round tail at first, but those are less common.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  10. jl_1005

jl_1005 Valued Member Member

Beautiful! I love the second photo of him next to the java fern, so cute haha

11. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

To be honest I've never been a fan of bettas but that has got to be the most beautiful one I've seen and even I would find space for him absolutely stunning fish

12. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Thank you, I agree that he is probably one of my favorite bettas I have seen. I would go on a search for another plakat koi female to see if I could breed them (I have crap tons of mason jars, and a spare 20 gallon tank), but I don't know how old he is.

13. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

Those colors are gorgeous! Your making want to find room to set up my 10 gallon to get a betta ;)

14. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Thanks, I actually decided to set up a 10 gallon just so I could get a koi betta. I'm going to test his compatibility with other fish with some shrimp, if he does well I'll introduce a school of ember tetras to the tank. Tetras can be nippy in smaller tanks, but since he is a plakat and embers are pretty much the most peaceful tetra, I think it might be doable. It will be like having a koi goldfish in a tank with a bunch of smaller goldfish XD. Anyways, its 2:00 AM here and I want a solid 8 hours of sleep, so Ima stop replying now.

15. Klaus&Frannie

Klaus&Frannie New Member Member

i just have to say, GEORGOUS! thanks for sharing!

16. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

Yup, beautiful fish... but it's what's on the inside the counts- just kidding. :confused:

17. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Why are you kidding? One of the most interesting things about keeping bettas is how different their personalities are. I'm already having my doubts that I can keep this guy with tetras, considering every 15 or so minutes he swims up to the glass and flares at his reflection for a minute straight.

18. ashark8me

ashark8me Valued Member Member

That is a very nice koi betta. Congrats!

19. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Thanks!

20. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

He's just admiring himself, "Oh, yeah, I'm pretty and I know it."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice