The never-ending betta in a cup debate

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here's my stand on it:

I know for a fact that mass-breeders sell fully-mature bettas for $1 each.
My LFS turns around and sell them for $4, makingit profitable for 1 in 2 fish to die.
They're not going to stop this, because about 99% of the population doesn't know, doesn't care, or chooses not to do what's right.
The large-scale retail and even local pet stores aren't going to stop selling the small 1 qt tanks because theyre cheap and super profitable, and chances are, if a fish dies, the owner'll want a new one, meaning more profit and another empty shelf spot.

Most fish keepers don't even know that poo makes ammonia.
My thinking is that if you save a cup-baby, sure it makes another spot, but that's another live saved. If you don't buy it, it'll die, or someone who doesn't know how to take care of it will, and then it'll die.
They now even make about a ! quart split container for bettas.

Those of you that think that buying from breeders as opposed to cup babies to try to stop the abuse don't see the whole picture, because those fish'll get taken care of no matter what, because the breeders know what they're doing and how to take care of the bettas. Sure it'll mean another dead fish for the store owners to lose out on, but the supply of bettas is so much and the price so cheap, there'll be another to take it's place on the shelf and they'll still make profit.

the one good thing I've seen about Petsmart is that they do treat the 8oz of water that they keep each fish in and i've never seen a floater on the shelves.
My local petco on the other hand keeps bettas on tilted shelves in the dark Aquarium section and i had to take a floater to the only person working there, where he proceeded to, i'm pretty sure, just throw it away, not even log the fact it died.
Pretty pretty crowntail too.

Anyways, that's my two cents on the whole matter and even if another live saved means another lost, you still saved a life that was going to be lost.

Last edited:

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So those of you who think that buying from a breeder or importing is better than saving a cup baby are wrong IMO
(the bolding is mine)

:shock: umm.. okay...

edit: My shock at the level of judgment in that sentence made me forget to add my opinion to the puppy mill debate. I hate this debate.

Last edited:

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this one and maintain that my personal choice to only buy bettas directly from reputable breeders in the future is not "wrong". I rescued six bettas from cups, and currently still have five of them (RIP Aadyn James...).

MM said it best and I'll never forget it. You shouldn't have to "rescue" these fish and nurse them back to health, etc. All of my future adoptions will come from reputable breeders. They're the only people who love the fish more than I will ... and thats how I want it.

Good luck to you, by the way. You might have just opened an ugly can of worms!

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sorry about the whole wrong thing, i got kinda emotional and changed it to a more politically correct term.

I think getting fish from breeders is good if you want a specific color fish or for breeding purposes, though and would love to have a nice double tail.

Last edited:

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's like saying buying from a puppy mill is a good choice too. I see your point, and respect it. I understand where you are coming from... however I disagree as the only way to stop businesses from certain practices is to reduce their profit margins; aka not buying BIC. Plus a good breeder has AMAZING betta. In fact I'm thinking of trying to make my first show betta purchase, but am somewhat clueless as where to start.

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Those of you that think that buying from breeders as opposed to cup babies to try to stop the abuse don't see the whole picture, because those fish'll get taken care of no matter what...
Okay...what about the side of the picture you're ignoring? It takes a lot of time, love and money to raise a betta the right way. Why WOULDN'T you want to support those breeders so they can continue to do the fine job they do?

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do want to support those breeders, but if you want a breeder fish for the sole purpose of trying to stop something that can only be stopped by the government, i think that's not right.
I would love some breeder fish to call my own beause they are awesome and it helps support the breeders, but cup bettas deserve lovin too.

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
thank you meenu, I have MM as a friend on here and have commented on the beauty of her fish (sorry to jack the OP thread). I may have to pm her, or maybe she will pm me.

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thank you meenu, I have MM as a friend on here and have commented on the beauty of her fish (sorry to jack the OP thread). I may have to pm her, or maybe she will pm me.
It's cool.
If i ever do buy a breeder fish, it'll be from her because how much she has helped out everyone.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The 2 LFSs I frequent don't keep their bettas in cups. I choose to frequent those businesses because their fish are healthier, and clearly they know more about how to care for aquatic life. Next time I get a betta, you can bet I'm going to show my support of their practices with my wallet.

Edit: you're welcome, ppate. She has gorgeous fish - you should send her a PM. sorry for the little hijack, Shiba.

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The only three I've been to and that are within reasonable distance to me all keep theirs in tiny cups.

I really want to work at the one in my town this summer to try to reform their habits, or at least keep the fish healthy.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, Shiba, that went well. I say you lock this thread before Fishtroy and Tigerfishy and Critter and all those other betta people see it.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lol.....there are no easy answers. i have "rescued" 4 bettas....though the female was in sorority tank, so at least she had space and heat. i just wish there was a better way for pet shops to sell bettas.

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't really understand, there is no right or wrong here. By purchasing a cup baby you are giving the poor thing a better life, by buying from a breeder you know you are purchasing high quality, well loved, healthy fish. either is good IMO.

Until everyone who ever wants to buy a betta can shell out $20+ for a breeder baby, and stop buying cup babies, we will continue seeing the poor things in those death cups. There are people that love bettas but can't afford to buy as many breeder babies b/c they simply don't have the funds. So instead you buy a $4 VT and give it the best life you can.

I simply see no right or wrong here.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't really understand, there is no right or wrong here. By purchasing a cup baby you are giving the poor thing a better life, by buying from a breeder you know you are purchasing high quality, well loved, healthy fish. either is good IMO.

Until everyone who ever wants to buy a betta can shell out $20+ for a breeder baby, and stop buying cup babies, we will continue seeing the poor things in those death cups. There are people that love bettas but can't afford to buy as many breeder babies b/c they simply don't have the funds. So instead you buy a $4 VT and give it the best life you can.

Nice

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never rescued a betta, but all the bettas I've ever bought were kept in a cup.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

exactly, and don't forget the $30 shipping. it's just like not everyone can or wants to have a pure bred cat or dog or fish or whatever. think about children who have been neglected and abused.....products of unfit, horrible parents.... every living thing deserves a chance at a great life.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom