The Nature Of The Pictus

Discussion in 'Pictus Catfish' started by Will170, Aug 2, 2017.

1. W

Will170 Valued Member Member

You walk into your LFS maybe for the first time or maybe for the 100th time and something catches your eyes. The long whiskers, the color scheme, the pokadots or maybe it's the way they pile on top of each other like an army, whatever it is it makes you fall in love with the Pictus. You check out the label and read about them, maybe you observe them for awhile and you notice how active they appear to be. You decide to take a few of them home and add them to your tank.

A few days later it appears you only see them during feeding time, or poking their head out of a cave or a plant, or maybe you see them zooming across the floor of the aquarium when it's not as lit up in your tank. So what gives?

I think we've been mislead on the nature of these fish.
    I've been observing mine for quite awhile now.
    And a few things are very clear.
    -In the bright lights of the aquarium tank you have at home they are not as active as in the LFS.
    -They really love caves, hallow logs or anywhere to hide.
    -The less bright the tank, the more you will see them
    -And watching these fish go crazy over food is comical in a way because, well, they spazz out.
    -They don't mind being in a group but given enough hiding spots they will be a bit territorial if it is not a big enough spot

I think we've been mislead about these fish. Any thoughts ?

2. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

Pictus are very active, Love to be in large groups, and are prone to ich, and will eat anything that fits in they're mouth. If yours are hiding a lot maybe you don't have enough of them, or other tank mates are intimidating them?

3. OP
    OP
    W

I haven't noticed any intimidation. The only tankmates they have are 3 mollies. I added a gourami not to long ago and he seems to not go to the bottom very often.
    There is 3 Pictus in the tank currently. Perhaps they need a fourth when they move to the 55?
    Or maybe I'm just doing something wrong.
    They aren't always in their caves or hiding spots. Maybe half the time I watch them they are hiding or on the back end of the tank which isn't visible. They used to all hide together in the old tank inside a huge log

4. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I keep 4 in a 125g 6' tank, subdued lighting, a large terrocotta pot cut in half for 2 caves, smooth rocks and driftwood that allows them to sit under. They also like to cruise over the tops of the smooth decor. They prefer to stay in the are of the tank with their hiding spots. Neat thing about them is they also are a talking Catfish.

You are not doing anything wrong but maybe add some tree roots, driftwood etc. and add a 4th when you move to the 55g but a 75g would be better as its wider. Just sayin.

5. OP
    OP
    W

I recently moved all of my fish over to the 55 and tbh I've noticed a lot more Pictus activity.
    Maybe on my next upgrade I'll add another Pictus?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice