The Myth Behind Feeding Peas

The Myth Behind Feeding Peas

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
FinalFins submitted a new resource:

The Myth Behind Feeding Peas - Feeding peas? Why not feed something else

I don't know why, but there are many myths surrounding the fact that peas are great for fish, and that they will cure swim bladder or constipation. Usually when one's fish has been diagnosed with an ailment such as SBD (swI'm bladder disorder) or constipation, the most common advice I see around forums is to feed a pea to the affected fish.

One is usually asked to boil a pea until it is soft, then deshell it and wiggle it around to try and coax a fish to gobble it up, and hope the ailment...
Read more about this resource...

Lucy

Myth? Your article appears to be based on opinion.
Please provide references.

Also, please show reference that a dog's digestive system is comparable to a fish.

OP
FinalFins

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Lucy said:
Myth? Your article appears to be based on opinion.
Please provide references.

Also, please show reference that a dog's digestive system is comparable to a fish.
I admit, the dog-fish comparison was probably as stupid comparison.

But a link that does state that carnivores (ie, a betta) digest carbohydrates poorly compared to herbivores/omnivores.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Interesting and I agree I’d like references too. But in general I never understood the pea thing either. The fish is constipated and too full, so feed it more? Seems to me not feeding anything for a few days works better

Lucy

Good article but we're not talking about a staple diet. With peas, not peas every day or a whole pea. but a bit every few days for the benefit of fiber content for constipation.

Lucy

LivebearerMom said:
Interesting and I agree I’d like references too. But in general I never understood the pea thing either. The fish is constipated and too full, so feed it more? Seems to me not feeding anything for a few days works better
Totally agree with. Not peas every day or a whole pea (and not canned peas!). In my opinion and experience a bit of pea followed by a day or two of fasting. Repeat.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Lucy said:
Totally agree with. Not peas every day or a whole pea (and not canned peas!). In my opinion and experience a bit of pea followed by a day or two of fasting. Repeat.
Good point. I was thinking if the fish currently has a swimming problem, then feeding fiber to an already very constipated / over fed fish would be a problem. But feeding fiber periodically to prevent the disease makes more sense; kind of like with people :)

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Rather than saying: what's the evidence that it doesn't work, I'd like to see an article that explains or proves that this does work, other than anecdotal evidence which (no offense) is not reliable. Spontaneous remission or the fasting portion being the answer in those cases seems way more likely.
From my understanding as well, feeding plant fibers to a predatory fish would sooner make constipation worse rather than better.

New Threads