The Move is on!!!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by LyleB, Dec 15, 2012.

1. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

Finally getting to do my major shifting/addition of fish.

The Neon's (8), are bagged and acclimating in the 29 gal as I type. Same with the Pygmy Corys. They were the tough ones to catch since they are so small and half bury themselves in the gravel. Had to remove all the plants, rocks and driftwood to stand a chance. Still took about a half hour to catch all six of them. They are also acclimating to the 29 gal.

I picked up 8 Black Neon that will be joining the 29 gal once they are out of QT. First time I'm actually using one of these :). It's 10 gal with clay pots and a couple artificial plants for cover. I moved the most established filter from the established 10 gal to the QT. It's been running with a fully stocked tank for about 3.5 months. I left the AquaClear on the old tank. It's also been running there since the middle of Sept. Hope to avoid any mini cycles.

The established 10 gal will have a new Betta boy joining the one Mystery Snail and one Nerite. He is also acclimating as I type. Hopefully they will all get along. I'm pretty attached to the Mystery. He/she has at least doubled (probably more) in size since I got it. Quite an active individual, day and night. Not sure when he/she sleeps. The Betta was flairing at me the whole time I was checking out him and his buddies at Petco today, so I couldn't resist.

I also am awaiting 4 or 5 more Nerites, replacements for the ones that didn't make it in my last purchase. I'm also on the list for three baby Mystery snails listed elsewhere on this forum. finally, I have 20 RCS being shipped on Monday, also from this forum. May have to start another tank for the snails if the Betta doesn't play nice. Wouldn't that be terrible?

Time to go add more water to the acclimating bags. This is fun!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I also ordered one of the 6.5 gal bookshelf tanks from Petco today. They are $10 cheaper online than they are in the store. As long as you order another item of $11 or more, shipping is free. Needed a heater for it so no problem. This will also be a Betta tank when I figure out where to put it. :)

2. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

You've been busy I'm planning on getting a saltwater fish tank for the holidays and hopefully a 29 gallon freshwater tank to relocate a few fish from my 20 gallon tall good luck hope all your fish acclimate well. :)

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Congrats on the new fish and critters. I hope you can share some photos/videos with us at some point.

I have the 6.6g bookeshelf tank from PetCo. Although I do not have it currently set up, it's a nice little tank. I love the length of it. It was Wriggley's (betta photos in my profile) home. I have it in storage for another day. :)

I upgraded the filtration to an Aqua Clear 20 and stored the filter that came with it. The filter that comes with it has very little space for media. You may like the filter that comes with it though, I'm just a fan of Aqua Clear hobs.

Have fun!

Ken candycane2.gif

4. OP
    OP
    L

Well, all is going well with the new additions.

The Black Neon are in the QT, all are swimming about, eating well. Have become less timid and about half the time they swim out to meet me now instead of hiding.

The Betta has reduced his constant flaring. Had to tape some old calendar photos around the tank to reduce his reflection. He is also becoming very bold. Hangs out at the front of the tank, keeping an eye on what's going on in the room. I now splash the water a little with my finger, and he comes up within about three inches of it and waits for his food, then starts consuming it immediately. Tonight I did the first PWC since getting him. He was extremely curious about the gravel vac. Not flaring at it, but swimming up to it, checking it out, watching what I was doing the entire time. Got in the way a couple of times actually. :) I can really see how folks get so attached to their Bettas - personality plus! Will try to get a pic or two up tomorrow.

Also, my CRS are on their way, should be here tomorrow or Thur, same with the replacement order of Nerites. These will all be going into the 29 gal. Hope they get here tomorrow, I'm off work, Thur will be at work most of the day, but will stop home to check. Nice part of working a block from home.

The Neons seem happier in the 29 gal as well, but I hardly ever see the Pygmy Corys much - more plants and caves for them to hide in. Yesterday, however, four of the Pygmys were schooling with the Neons for quite a while while I was watching them.

A big thank you to everyone here on Fishlore. You have taught me so much, and I had been a fish-keeper off and on for several decades when I found this site. Sites like this sure make hobbies easier to be successful at.

5. OP
    OP
    L

Yeah, it was a long wait, but worth doing it right.

I had a salt water, fish only tank back in the 70's when I was in college. They are BEAUTIFUL. A bit more complicated and more work to keep everything looking good with all the salt deposits getting onto everything, but worth it. I also had a 40 or 50 gal Reef tank for several years. That was also beautiful when it was nice and clean, but again, a bit more work to keep it that way. Are you planning a refugium?

Good luck.

6. OP
    OP
    L

Thanks Ken. I got the Petco tank today, haven't opened it yet. Still don't have any place to put it just now, but it will find a home eventually. I also prefer the AquaClears - guess they are changing their branding to Fluval, but the same design.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice