Funny THE MOST Ridiculous "Fish Per Gallon" Rule

fishyfriends876

First, let us agree that the fish per gallon rule is ridiculous.
Why? Because if you follow the rule apparently you can add a full-grown Oscar in a 10-gallon tank.

But, can anyone think of even more ridiculous examples than that?

Leave a comment with yours!

Bettamay

This isn’t a pet but I’m pretty sure a whale shark can’t fit in less than 100 gallons...

madisons obbsession

fishyfriends876 said:
Why? Because if you follow the rule apparently you can add a full-grown Oscar in a 10-gallon tank.

Luckily, I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to try this, and it wouldn't be physically possible. Butttt the length of a great white shark can be up to 21ft, which is 252 inches. Theoretically, the inch per gallon rule could allow for a great white in a 252 gallon tank.

Lebeeze

madisons obbsession said:
Luckily, I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to try this, and it wouldn't be physically possible. Butttt the length of a great white shark can be up to 21ft, which is 252 inches. Theoretically, the inch per gallon rule could allow for a great white in a 252 gallon tank.
I'm not saying this to be a jerk but only because I just learned this not too long ago, but apparently its not possible to keep a great white in captivity. This video i watched said that apparantly the shark will just kill itself by either constantly smashing the sides of whatever its kept in, or it will purposely starve itself. I thought that was a pretty cool fact.

Mhamilton0911

fishyfriends876 said:
Because if you follow the rule apparently you can add a full-grown Oscar in a 10-gallon tank.
Not funny. Last trip to LFS, mom and 2 kids picking out 2 Oscar's for their 10 gallon. They were tiny, so naturally, mom thought they must stay tiny. I told her how big they get, pointed to the 75gallon the lfs had with just one plate sized oscar, and i said that's what they grow to. She tells me that's not the same fish.

After, I asked the person working, he says he tried to tell her they get big, but sold them anyways, telling her they will take them back if they outgrow her tank.

I'm not sure how I feel about my lfs anymore...

AggressiveAquatics

It’s really dumb I don’t really follow a rule but with my fish it’s like a inch per 10 gallons rule

Dippiedee

Mhamilton0911 said:
Not funny. Last trip to LFS, mom and 2 kids picking out 2 Oscar's for their 10 gallon. They were tiny, so naturally, mom thought they must stay tiny. I told her how big they get, pointed to the 75gallon the lfs had with just one plate sized oscar, and i said that's what they grow to. She tells me that's not the same fish.

After, I asked the person working, he says he tried to tell her they get big, but sold them anyways, telling her they will take them back if they outgrow her tank.

That is absolutely unbelievable. He should never have let her walk out with those fish for that tank.

AggressiveAquatics

Mhamilton0911 said:

Some people just don’t know basic care for animals. It’s unbelievable though how she said that was a different fish

Dippiedee

Darwinthebloodparrot said:
Some people just don’t know basic care for animals. It’s unbelievable though how she said that was a different fish
I dont understand how someone can buy an animal without knowing anything about it? She obviously had no intention of cycling the tank, or even knew what a cycle was. She knew nothing about the fish she bought. But not just fish; people buy dog breeds without knowing any of their characteristics or needs, or any clue how to train them. They get hamsters and take home one of those neon shoe box cages that are way too small for them. I could just never imagine buying an aninal without researching everything I need to know about it first. IMO it's just super irresponsible and shows a real disrespect to any life that isnt human.

Mhamilton0911

honestly, i feel like they are banking on her liking the fish, feeling bad and upgrading. more sales for them. they just moved locations and I think they are needing more business. i'm NOT HAPPY with what I saw, and i would much rather just buy online or even petco than support that kind of place.

that day i bought 3 more cories to complete my school, and only 1 is thriving, one died, and another looks to follow, I think they were waay too tiny to be sold. i've never bought cories that small before.

Dippiedee

Mhamilton0911 said:
honestly, i feel like they are banking on her liking the fish, feeling bad and upgrading. more sales for them. they just moved locations and I think they are needing more business. i'm NOT HAPPY with what I saw, and i would much rather just buy online or even petco than support that kind of place.

that day i bought 3 more cories to complete my school, and only 1 is thriving, one died, and another looks to follow, I think they were waay too tiny to be sold. i've never bought cories that small before.
Their profits should never out weigh the animals well being. My LFS is great, they will refuse service unless they are certain your able to prove adequate care for the fish. They wont sell any animals without knowing tank size, water quality and what fish you already have in the tank. And forget about taking animals away with you if they get wind of an uncycled tank.

Bettamay

I think part of the problem is because fish are cheap. Most fish you just grab from the store at a price range in 10 to 50 dollars. People don’t care because if they’re fish dies, they just get another one. Fish are some of the cheapest pets on the market, and lots of people don’t understand that fish are capable of a lot more things than swimming around aimlessly and eating food,

Hannah1064

Dippiedee said:
Their profits should never out weigh the animals well being. My LFS is great, they will refuse service unless they are certain your able to prove adequate care for the fish. They wont sell any animals without knowing tank size, water quality and what fish you already have in the tank. And forget about taking animals away with you if they get wind of an uncycled tank.
Wish I had that store here!!! Lucky!

AquaticQueen

Mhamilton0911 said:

When I went to my LFS once, I saw a dad with his daughter pick out a tiny round fish bowl and a betta. I just stood there with my mouth wide open. If I wasn't such a shy person, I probably would've walked up to them and gone on a 30 minute rant about the nitrogen cycle, proper tank size and temperatures, etc.
The only knowledgeable employee who works there just stood around smiling and didn't say a thing.
I felt sooooo mad. Why didn't the employee say something!?
Ooooh, it makes my blood boil just thinking about it!!

Dippiedee

Bettamay said:
I think part of the problem is because fish are cheap. Most fish you just grab from the store at a price range in 10 to 50 dollars. People don’t care because if they’re fish dies, they just get another one. Fish are some of the cheapest pets on the market, and lots of people don’t understand that fish are capable of a lot more things than swimming around aimlessly and eating food,
Sadly I think you're right, which is what I meant by it shows a disrespect for life. Fish are living creatures at the end of the day and people just treat them as disposable. Nothing makes my blood boil like the phrase 'it's only a fish'

Sputnik

Dippiedee said:
I dont understand how someone can buy an animal without knowing anything about it? She obviously had no intention of cycling the tank, or even knew what a cycle was. She knew nothing about the fish she bought. But not just fish; people buy dog breeds without knowing any of their characteristics or needs, or any clue how to train them. They get hamsters and take home one of those neon shoe box cages that are way too small for them. I could just never imagine buying an aninal without researching everything I need to know about it first. IMO it's just super irresponsible and shows a real disrespect to any life that isnt human.
Impulse buys- crazy. I went to a local fish club auction last year and people were urging me to bid on certain fish. I replied that I never buy a fish unless I know its life history in the wild and basic care requirements AND have an empty, cycled tank. They thought I was a wet blanket.

Rockymountainstream

Lebeeze said:
I'm not saying this to be a jerk but only because I just learned this not too long ago, but apparently its not possible to keep a great white in captivity. This video i watched said that apparantly the shark will just kill itself by either constantly smashing the sides of whatever its kept in, or it will purposely starve itself. I thought that was a pretty cool fact.
I know the filling. That's why I left the city. The filling of being confined is enough to make you want to bang your head against a wall. Or depress one enough to lose your appetite.

MrFishkeeper1

In this case a smaller blue whale could fit in a 1000 gallon aquarium then.

Rockymountainstream

Dippiedee said:
Sadly I think you're right, which is what I meant by it shows a disrespect for life. Fish are living creatures at the end of the day and people just treat them as disposable. Nothing makes my blood boil like the phrase 'it's only a fish'

Betta'sAnonymous

Wonder how big a tank i would need for the Loch Ness monster...? 250 gal? 500 gal?

Crimson_687

The average height for humans is 64 inches..

64 gallon tank!!

Sputnik

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Wonder how big a tank i would need for the Loch Ness monster...? 250 gal? 500 gal?
I bet if you threw in more sponge filters you could get away with a 125...

Betta'sAnonymous

Sputnik said:
I bet if you threw in more sponge filters you could get away with a 125...
Gueas its a good thing i have 2 well seeded sponge filters available then!

fishkeepinginaisa

fishyfriends876 said:

*Using the inch per gallon rule to try and explain to the tang police why it's okay to keep a blue tang in a 20 gallon long.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom