The Most Reliable Air Pump?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by LeoDiaz, Jul 19, 2017.

1. LeoDiaz

LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Looking for a strong reliable pump to run 2 air wands in a 55g tank. I need something that's reliable not something that in 3 months is going to be giving up on me. Tried tetra pumps but they all lose power, and can no longer supply the air i need.

2. Fishpuns

FishpunsValued MemberMember

I own 2 of the Fluval Q1 and love them, very powerful and completely silent. One is running 2 sponges on my 55, the other is running a sponge on a betta tank and an airstone in an artemia bowl. It's too strong for the bowl, had to buy a flow control valve for it.

I threw away a Tetra pump and an Active Aqua pump because I found them horribly loud after using the Fluval. I highly recommend it.

3. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Whatever you buy, always up the size so it isn't worthless when it does lose a little power. Lately I have been using Fusions from Drs Foster and Smith. Very powerful for the price and adjustable. At least they are are adjustable from size 500 and up that I own. And look at the wattage ratings. The manufacturers play games with the air flow output rating advertising. and it makes it hard to meaningfully compare pumps from brand to brand.

4. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

Marina i have, not too heavy duty just right i have two of them, love them as they are just right for me i got the first one a year ago and its not lost power. 983e12ed745f0f853874a3056226430c.jpg12f58c341cf742fe3260c8b11739b10c.jpg

This one is giving me berbles on my 55 and running my fry tank sponge. Marina 200 double i think its called.

5. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

Wands can be hard on diaphragm pumps, if you have harder water or if the water supplier adds calcium. The tiny pores in the wand clog, and that creates back pressure on the rubber diaphragm, which begins to break.
    In my old house, an airstone had a working life of under a week, no matter the pump. I got a similar effect for my oxygen hog rapids fish by using a Hagen powerhead with a venturi built it. It gave me lots of bubbles and water movement - it still does on its 7th year.
    They are close to the same price as a decent air pump if you shop online. The venturi changes everything. .

6. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Is not an actual wand is one like this ones  . The pump has to run 2 of those and produce a lot of bubbles out both of them.

7. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

I shown you a pump and i find this to be the best curtain. d974818d1cb45d15f0ddf668d53d18c4.png you lose no air as its cased in plastic and can find them on wish.com top product.

8. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

I'll look into those I'm using the bubblers to move some K1 media in sump.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice