The Most Inspiring Shrimp Colony Comeback Story

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Koiman, May 20, 2018.

1. Koiman

KoimanValued MemberMember

This is by far my best “never give up” story in the hobby.

I wanted to start a blue dream colony in a 10 gallon I had lying around. I called up every fish store in the area, and only one who has them is selling them for the grand price of 10 bucks a piece. Now, I didn’t want to pay that much but I was too excited so I sunk 50 bucks into 5 blue dream shrimp. Now they were kind enough to accidentally net one small microscopic shrimplet (this is important).

I go home and add them in and everything is all good for a few months but no breeding. Meanwhile, this shrimplet is nowhere to be found, and I only saw it on day 1. Then I have to travel for two weeks, so I throw in an algae covered rock and some flakes for the shrimp to munch on and then I take my leave. When I return, just two shrimp are alive and again, I don’t see the shrimplet.

At this point, I regard this tank as a failure. A few more months go by and obviously nothing is happening. But then one day, I notice this clear shrimp, quite small still, but definitely a shrimp. It was at this moment that it struck me, this was the shrimplet that I first got and had never seen since!

About another month goes by, still three shrimp in the 10 gallon. One day, i notice the clear shrimp is looking bigger, and that’s when I saw it. It was berried. I was so happy but I knew that this was only the first step. A few weeks go by and then the shrimp isn’t berried anymore. I looked frantically for any trace of babies, but couldn’t find any evidence of one. I was planning to do a rescape of the tank so after a few more weeks, I finally took one last look at the tank before I drained it and put it out of its misery. And that’s when I saw it. One, beautiful small blue shrimp that couldn’t have been more than an eigth of an inch. Once you see one, you see them all. All of a sudden, more and more were appearing to me until I could count around 6 or 7 in one area alone. I couldn’t see into the dense plant foliage, but I’m sure there’s more there too that I can’t see.

I just wanted to tell this story for people who are having doubts on their shrimp breeding project. I lost all but 2 shrimp and the baby shrimp that survived was the only one that could carry on the colony. The whole time period from getting the shrimp to getting babies was around 8 months. It’s amazing how things work out like this.

2. RainBetta

RainBettaWell Known MemberMember

Awww!!! That's so awesome! My shrimp NEVER breed

3. itsEmma

itsEmmaValued MemberMember

What a lovely tale!
    It's nice to hear a feel-good story with a happy ending-congratulations on your baby shrimps!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice