The most INSANE fish you own

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jgon_, Mar 18, 2010.

1. jgon_

jgon_ Well Known Member Member

I'm sure we have all had fish that are certifiably bonkers.

For me, my school of yoyo loaches. Completely psychotic fish. Who ever said these fish are bottom dwellers have not met these guys. Up and down, up and down, left, right, all over sniffing out every surface at ever angle nonstop. Darting in and out of the java moss like a jungle gym. Zooming across the glass anytime someone approaches. I can't even describe the acrobatic frenzy they get into once they smell food. Pot bellied buggers, they are nuts.

I think the funniest aspect about them, is that they have no concept of personal space. Zero. They crawl all over every fish sniffing them out. They were even all over my angel fish pair as they were breeding. These loaches simply don't care.

Hysterical fish they are.

2. b

bubblefish Valued Member Member

I have 4 yoyo loaches in one of my 55g tanks. They are definately the "court jesters" of this tank. I have one that will push it's head through the gravel and fall asleep that way with just his back half sticking out. Maybe he's pretending to be a plant, LOL. They sure love to play!

I agree, they don't have a sense of personal space at all!

3. C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

LOL, they sound like such funny fish!!! I used to have a catfish that would just swim up and down, up and down, up and down in the corner with the bubbler ALL DAY LONG!! Literally, that's just about all she(not really sure if she was a girl, but we named it Kitty, so we always though of her as one) would do! Occasionally, she'd venture out to pick some stuff out of the gravel, but not very often. She was probably my most insane fish.

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Oh wow, as a keeper of lots of cichlids, I have many insane fish to choose from, so I"ll just pick one.

I have a marble convict female who "flew" out of the tank to avoid my spawning pair of JD's. She's recovered and is now in a tank with another insane convict, Karma, who found great joy out of killing her first mate.

5. b

bubblefish Valued Member Member

I have a marble convict female who "flew" out of the tank to avoid my spawning pair of JD's. She's recovered and is now in a tank with another insane convict, Karma, who found great joy out of killing her first mate.[/QUOTE]

YIKES!!!!

6. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

I used to have an irridecent shark. All it would do would swim up down side to side over and over again. Also when i came in the room he'd jump. One day he jumped out of the tank and he died.

Thats Proboly the craziest fish i ever owned

7. MissMTS

MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

The most insane fish I have ever owned was a male Flowerhorn. He was so aggressive that he would try to attack us through the glass when we entered the room. I couldn't even put my hand in his tank to clean it. He lasted about a couple of weeks until I decided it was time for him to find a new owner to terrorize, lol :p

8. B

BritJo Valued Member Member

I had a guppy (Washington) who spent AlL of his time swimming through my bubble wall. From the moment I put it in that's all he did. It was hilarious.

9. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Gotta agree that it's the nutty yo-yo's. I have 3 of them and I get endless enjoyment out of their acrobatics and antics. :party0049:

10. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

My crazy fish have got to be my blood parrots for 2 reasons, 1: they are a hybrid. 2: they always smile :D
    My other crazy fish are the Garra Rufa :) They love whizzing around and cleaning the glass- upside down :p

11. C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

Lol, I just checked on this thread again, and you guys have some crazy fish! I just remembered a crazy fish story my dad tells. He used to have a 100 gal. freshwater at work. (I know, it was a reeeeally nice place to work!) He was in charge of the fish maintenance. They had a little red-tailed shark, a bunch of oscars, and a foot long pacu. One day, Dad bought a 2 inch green terror to add to the tank. Within 2 minutes, every fish in the tank was squeezed into one end of the tank,(including the pacu!) while the green terror cruised up and down on patrol. He kept the fish so terrified, Dad had to do something about it. He took a piece of fiberglass, cut it to fit the tank, and drilled holes in it so the water could circulate. Then, he cornered the green terror in about 1 foot of space. By then it was late, so he didn't bother to put the lid on before he went home. In the morning, he found a giant lump of carpet fuzz on the floor. Upon closer inspection, he realized it was the green terror! The fish had been in such a frenzy to escape his confinement, that he jumped, and missed his mark. Then, he rolled around on the carpet all night before Dad found him. Unfortunately, he was dead when Dad found him. Was that a crazy fish or what?

12. Amanda

Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

My black Oscar, hands down.
    He decided he didn't want to live in the water anymore, and bailed out of the tank. My mom found him flopping on the floor!

13. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

lawl... darned suicidal fish >.<

my albino cory has no knowledge of territories, the angels own the driftwood, and everyone else is allowed by it, but durring feeding no one is allowed-- except mr.albino cory...(his name is banana ^.^) same thing with food, the angels won't let any fish by their food, other than Banana!- he can just swim up to them and, bump into them, give "kisses", steal the food, then after stealing the food probably "kiss" them anyways- without so much as the angles flinching!(he does that to all his tankmates but the angels most) ....swim-bump....swim...bump"kiss"
    i call "kissing" of the cory, when they nuzzle another fish with wiskers- as if looking for more food lawl

14. B

Borisbbadd Guest

Years ago, I had a Redtailed Shark that was totally bonkers !!!

15. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

It's a toss up between my Yoyo Loaches which are just completely barking mad or my Green Terror, which like to head butt the front glass anytime I get near the tank. The Terror just turns ito a fish version of a battering ram. Over & over he will slam himself head on into the front glass while I'm trying to do water changes. It's a wonder he doesn't knock himself out. He also like to jump out & latch onto my fingers at feeding time. He just doesn't like to wait for me to let go of the food. He wants to take it straight from my hand before it even gets to the water.

Oh, I've got a Sterba's Cory that thinks it's a Harlequin Rasbora to. There are 6 Sterba's Corys in the tank but this one will spend all day swimming in the mid levels with the Rasboras rather than hang around down the bottom with it's own kind.

16. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

ROFL... its his excuse to getting a nibble out of you fingers...nom nom nom

17. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Gosh, why are the loaches always the nutty ones?

My kuhli loaches are absolutely crazy, as you can see by my sigpic. That one thought that a groove in a resin cave was a tunnel and tried to squirm through it...betcha he was surprised when he somehow "rolled" off the edge and fell into the gravel.

Other times my kuhlis like to hang in my anacharis strands like Christmas ornaments and swim "laps" up to the surface and back down to the bottom again. For some reason, they don't try to burrow, though I'm sure they perfectly can in my gravel.

Once, I caught them "kissing", by touching and nuzzling each other's mouths. Weird!

18. r

robhill1965 New Member Member

Well, I had two Black Convicts and one Bubble Gum or Jelly Bean cichlids in one tank. One of the Black Convicts started digging in the gravel then the Jelly Bean started while the Black Convict just followed and watched. The second Convict seemed very shy and was chased away by the first two. These two little 1" fish were even tormenting the much larger 5" Blood Parrot (who had been there for 3 years) and would even face off and do quick lunges at each other like bullies in a school yard or something. After two weeks, the Jelly Bean got extremely aggressive and started clamping it's mouth on the shy Convict. In a panic, I put the shy convict in my tetra tank. The next day, it was chasing the cory's and looking at it's old home right next door. I put it back and within 2 minutes, the Jelly Bean was trying to kill it again. I had to take him back to the LPS. That fish was in need of a psycotherapy! I called him "Fester". He looked like a little bald guy with an orange mohock on too much coffee! He was chasing, eating, or digging 24/7!

19. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

My most Insane fish by far is my crowntail betta Plato. For some reason he hates everyone and everything except the snail in his tank Homer. He'll attack anything else added into the tank and will jump and attack me when I'm trying to feed him! But for some reason him and Homer are as close as can be. Plato will even use Homer as a resting place when he is on his side on the side of the tank. Plato will even insure Homer finds his algae wafers by moving them closer to Homer if they fall into the water to far away...its something amazing.

20. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

My danios, hands down. I had just got some guppy fry and they were floating happily about in their hatchery, and a danio jumped in beside them. Taking him out I kept a close eye, and he did it again 5 mins alter. Then I panicked and had to get a divider so the fry could stay in their nursery on the other side of the divider until I could move them into another tank that night!
    My weirdest fish was my orange molly Seville. He was so...busy. Always up to something, he spent his time going up and down the tank side, all day. When I opened the lid he would be straight there, mouthing at the surface of the water until the food went in (I think he thought if he wished hard enough for food that the water would turn into food. In his mind it worked...). Then he would resume tank duties. Up and down, up and down. I miss that little guy! The front right hand corner is still very empty looking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice