The Money Pit - 75 Gallon Build

Wild Bill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just got back from vacation to Orlando. Made a trip to WWC while I was there. Grabbed some zoas and a green slimer. I’ll post pics once they arrive tomorrow.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good stuff! Random question do you handle zoa like every other coral when placing in tank, such as dipping and such or do you have a special procedure? I love thier color but terrified with my kids of the paly toxin

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wild Bill said:
Just got back from vacation to Orlando. Made a trip to WWC while I was there. Grabbed some zoas and a green slimer. I’ll post pics once they arrive tomorrow.
Nice! Hope it was a great time.

xiholdtruex said:
Good stuff! Random question do you handle zoa like every other coral when placing in tank, such as dipping and such or do you have a special procedure? I love their color but terrified with my kids of the paly toxin
Well, I know you didn't ask me but... I have done my fair share of handling zoas considering how I tried to save so many in the early days. Yes, I follow the same procedure as far as dipping for pests, scrubbing for algae, and did treat those old zoas with medicinal dips. With any dip, my process is a dip and two rinses using three containers. I do it out of reach of the kiddos and to be extra safe, I wear gloves, safety glasses, and a bandana or somethin' over my nose and mouth. Most often, I have gone so far as to take the dip setup to a porch table outside. It's probably overkill but we can't be too careful with palytoxin.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
stella1979 said:
Nice! Hope it was a great time.

Well, I know you didn't ask me but... I have done my fair share of handling zoas considering how I tried to save so many in the early days. Yes, I follow the same procedure as far as dipping for pests, scrubbing for algae, and did treat those old zoas with medicinal dips. With any dip, my process is a dip and two rinses using three containers. I do it out of reach of the kiddos and to be extra safe, I wear gloves, safety glasses, and a bandana or somethin' over my nose and mouth. Most often, I have gone so far as to take the dip setup to a porch table outside. It's probably overkill but we can't be too careful with palytoxin.
lol your always free to chime in to any post girl! you always have great info!

Wild Bill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes. I always dip my corals. WWC recommends you wait 24 hours to dip, so I put them in my QT for now. Later today, I will get them dipped and placed.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wild Bill said:
Yes. I always dip my corals. WWC recommends you wait 24 hours to dip, so I put them in my QT for now. Later today, I will get them dipped and placed.
Do you take any additional precautions for zoa?

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
xiholdtruex said:
Do you take any additional precautions for zoa?
At home in my tank when handling zoas and just gluing them down or something I don't do anything just treat it like a normal coral. At work I frag thousands of zoas and I do wear gloves and eye wear but other then that that;s about it. the only zoas I'm careful with are the palys like the big green ones or cinnamon. In general, the larger a zoa the more likely it is to squirt. Smaller zoas don't really do that.

Wild Bill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just changed lighting because personally, Current USA lights suck. Bought a Kessil AP700 to replace my currents because my Zoas stopped opening, and my Nems started withering. Since the replacement, the Zoas are popping and the Nems are happy.

I’ll post a pic after I replace the powerheads. I’ve ordered the new Gyre 2K WiFi, which should be here mid December.

Wild Bill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
IMG_0363.JPG

Everything is acting normal now. The nems are loving the new gyres.

Wild Bill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
IMG_0594.JPG

After a water change.
Some of the changes I have done:
Added new Icecap 2000 gyre pumps.
Kessil AP700 light.
More live rock.

The Wrasse has been making it hard to acquire any new fish. Added a Kole Tang, within 2 days it was dead. The Anthias I had was killed by that jerk, but I love his colors so much. He adds a lot of action to the tank. I added a Midas Blenny that is not taking **** from him. Lol.

Stock stands as it is now:
1 fairy Wrasse
1 Tomini Tang
1 Midas and 1 Lawnmower Blenny.
2 clowns.
2 PJ Cardinals.
1 Blue Damsel.

Wild Bill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Marsh980

Valued Member
Reaction score
Looks great and i enjoy following your build thread. I hope to have a similar thread in the next few weeks. Is it your Fairy Wrasse that’s being a sod!

Wild Bill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, the Wrasse is a total sod. Lol

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tanks looking good. You only have 1 ap700 over the tank?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom