The moment you realize those wild bettas jumped their tank... again.

1. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Grr. So I was working on my new and improved wild betta breeding setup (aka tank relocation) and I went to move the uberis pair. There were no fish in their tank. WTH. The top was saran wrapped.... like... HOW DID THEY GET OUT.

I am not getting more b. uberis. This is ridiculous. I've bid on a pair of b. henra from Indonesia to go in the new tank. The tank has a very secure lid. I'll have to cover up the filter and heater cord holes, but it's better than the one the uberis were in. I'm thinking I might actually duct tape the biggest hole, the filter hole, since I'll be using a sponge filter and won't need the space.

Grr. >.<

2. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Did they just disappear? or did you find them as carpet crispies ? So sorry June :(

3. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I have three dogs... it's totally possible there is a carpet crispy somewhere, but it's also possible that there's not.

Grrr. >.<

4. Matt White Initiate Member

The very first fish I ever owned (I think I was 8) was a beta,I had won him from the local fair, took him home and left him on the counter while my mom took me to get a tank. We were gone for a hour, came home and the bowl was empty. There were a few splash marks on the counter and the dog was sitting on the floor, waiting for another "treat" to randomly fall off the counter. We went and got a goldfish.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

The thing is, it's bad enough when it's a petstore fish. But we're talking about endangered species that are rare finds (and really expensive, I might add) in the hobby. I'm supposed to be preserving the species, darnit lol. This will total three b. uberis that I've lost to apparent tank jumping. I also lost a male b rubra the same way. The fourth b. uberis died in transit to a new home around Christmastime, where her package was mysteriously delivered 4 days late and beat to heck when her new mom finally got it. At least that one I can say wasn't my fault.... but the jumping. Seriously.

6. atc84 Well Known Member Member

maybe all the bettas are hiding somewhere, and when you aren't looking they are all partying together. xD

lol, yeah that's rough. I bet wild bettas jump way more often than petstore bettas since wild bettas jump from puddle to puddle in their actual habitat, or that just a myth?

7. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Nah, wild type splendens do jump from water body to water body during the dry season, when the marshes and rice paddies they live in aren't flooded and there's not enough water to connect the deep parts (they do not live in puddles). I'm not sure of the situation for coccinca complex in the wild, though they are found in similar environments. I do know they sometimes jump out of the water to catch insects that are near the surface, at the very least.

The one that gets me is the mouthbrooders though. They tend to live in faster moving streams, which is why they don't build bubblenests. So they'd have no reason to leap completely out of the water. Except that they hate me. >.<