The Molly Squad Air Pump

Joanbeez

New Member
Member
Messages
46
Reaction score
31
Location
SA, TX
Experience
Just started
so it has officially been a month since I entered the aquarium hobby. I definitely am a research freak and spend all day trying to learn as much as I can about my 3 molly fish and my blue mystery snail. I have a ten gallon tank with a hang on filter and a heater that I keep at a cozy 82 degrees. As I’m becoming more educated and learning more about my fish needs I just stumbled across information about air pumps. Now this is where my question comes up. Do I need an air pump for my tank if I don’t have live plants ? I do worry now that maybe there isn’t as much oxygen circulating as I thought, and feel terrible about it. It’s been a super exciting month with the fish and I definitely see them being in my life long term. So should I add an air pump? And if so what kind of stone do I add to it?
 

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,316
Reaction score
1,627
Location
USA
Experience
4 years
Joanbeez said:
so it has officially been a month since I entered the aquarium hobby. I definitely am a research freak and spend all day trying to learn as much as I can about my 3 molly fish and my blue mystery snail. I have a ten gallon tank with a hang on filter and a heater that I keep at a cozy 82 degrees. As I’m becoming more educated and learning more about my fish needs I just stumbled across information about air pumps. Now this is where my question comes up. Do I need an air pump for my tank if I don’t have live plants ? I do worry now that maybe there isn’t as much oxygen circulating as I thought, and feel terrible about it. It’s been a super exciting month with the fish and I definitely see them being in my life long term. So should I add an air pump? And if so what kind of stone do I add to it?
How strong is the filter? If it is really strong I would say no.... on some of my tanks I have air stones, some I don’t. I think they would prob be fine without one (understand that a airstone won’t hurt them even if you don’t need one).

BTW welcome to the forum! Careful about spending to much time with your fish or you may get MTS
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Joanbeez

Joanbeez

New Member
Member
Messages
46
Reaction score
31
Location
SA, TX
Experience
Just started
CaptainAquatics said:
BTW welcome to the forum! Careful about spending to much time with your fish or you may get MTS
Thanks for the input! I can tell you that the filter doesn’t seem very strong, but the fish love to swim against its current, especially when I make it a bit stronger. I thought that maybe it’s because molly fish are stream fish, but after reading about oxygen and air pumps I became a bit paranoid. What do you think, is their behavior normal? And thank you for the welcome (what is MTS??)
 

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,316
Reaction score
1,627
Location
USA
Experience
4 years
Joanbeez said:
Thanks for the input! I can tell you that the filter doesn’t seem very strong, but the fish love to swim against its current, especially when I make it a bit stronger. I thought that maybe it’s because molly fish are stream fish, but after reading about oxygen and air pumps I became a bit paranoid. What do you think, is their behavior normal? And thank you for the welcome (what is MTS??)
Hi! I think that behavior is normal. I would t worry unless they start t gulp at the surface of the water.

P.S. MTS is Multiple Tank Syndrome. I know I have it, and you may get it. It is contagious and any fish can carry it. I started three years ago with one misqueto fish in a betta cup. After that I got a 36 gallon. I belive the Molly I got for that tank carried the bug for me, lol. Now three years later I have 12+ aquariums ranging in size from 5-130 gallons. Lol
 

SarahMcGee

Active Member
Member
Messages
125
Reaction score
50
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
2 years
A 10 gallon isn't very large so I would think that the filter would provide enough aeration. One thing to keep in mind though is that the warmer the water the less oxygen will dissolve in it. I would say unless they are regularly gulping at the surface or are lethargic at the bottom they are probably fine.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
104
Guests online
1,766
Total visitors
1,870

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom