The lowdown on Rummy Nose Tetras

BeardedTetra

Reaction score
I bought an established 125 several weeks ago. It was overstocked with African Cichlids. Two weeks ago I removed the cichlids and rocks and planted the sand substrate that came with the tank. I used a decent number of plants, but most of them are still pretty small.

Here lately, I've been thinking that I need to restock before I lose the cycle. I agreed to let my wife pick the fish for it (we knew we weren't keeping the cichlids).

At first she picked a breeding pair of angelfish, We ordered a proven pair and they arrived DOA. Now she has decided on 25 Panda Cories, 50 Rummy Nose Tetras, and a few juvenile angelfish.

I love the look of the Rummy Nose and the way they school, but most everything that I read about them mentions that they are difficult to keep. One source said that I should expect to lose half of them right off of the bat, and that they will continue to die off slowly until they are all gone.

I'd like to hear from those of you that have kept these fish. Especially those that have had long term success.

Why do so many people have trouble keeping them (what is killing them)?
What they sensitive to?
Could they survive the "aquarium co op quarantine regimen"?
Would a species only tank be more successful than what the wife wants?

I'd like to know as much as I can before I spend a couple hundred bucks. She wants to order them ASAP, so I'm looking for any tips/pointers on how to keep these guys alive long term.

Any and all input is welcomed.

Best Answer - View FinalFins's answer
OP
BeardedTetra

BeardedTetra

Reaction score
I should probably mention that the Rummy Noses that I'm considering buying are tank bred.,

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hi there,

I can't help much but rummys have the very large reputation of dying out, either off the bat or over time.

They seem to be sensitive to everything, so there isn't much room for error.

Another note is that panda corydoras like cooler water than angels, so maybe re consider there.

OP
BeardedTetra

BeardedTetra

Reaction score
I've heard that from multiple sources. On the other hand there are multiple videos on youtube that claim that they are easy to keep.

I'm a skeptic.

I can also be pretty absent minded, so I'd probably kill them all within a week.

bmb0214

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Rummynose were my schooling pick until I saw all the warnings. Now I’m nervous as well. Plus it seems to be hard to find many in stock.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Here’s my take on why rummy nose tetras are not easy to keep. They swim all day in a constant motion unlike a lot of other tetras that stop start swim. My own personal opinion is I will not get them again until I have a big tank. Even a 4 foot 55 gallon / 1200mm 200 litre tank was not big enough in my opinion.

Bearededtetra a 125 gallon ( I presume ) may be big enough to offer a beautiful home for this wonderful fish. Sadly sites like Aqadvisor will let anyone put them in much smaller tanks.

They are a fish sold by the hundreds in chain stores.

OP
BeardedTetra

BeardedTetra

Reaction score
Yes. It's a 6 ft 125 gallon.

I don't understand the rationale behind your theory? I mean they are what? 2 in? A 4 ft tank is 24 times their body length.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had a school of 18 odd rummy nose tetras they swim together in a true school. Fantastic to look at. However in the 4 foot no sooner had they started swimming in one direction they had to turn and swim the other way. I can only imagine what is going on with the fish at the tail of the school? The last fish in the school swims 3 feet at most back and forth back and forth following the leaders that are swimming 4 feet.
I had them in 2 foot tanks and saw little of this schooling behaviour.

I suggest they are not suitable for aquariums? There I said it.

An example of a good stop start swimmer is ember tetras - black neons etc. They swim this direction then that ,stop start stop start .
However you don’t see the schooling behaviour that you see is shoaling behaviour.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've found them very sensitive to ammonia and to acclimatising to a new tank.

As with Neon Tetra, once aclimatised and fattened up they are a first class fish to keep.

I'd recommend keeping just the one Angel. Its a big characterful interesting fish that responds to its owner and wants to be the boss of its aquarium. A fish worth designing the aquarium around.

A pair will attempt to breed, take over the tank and may create problems with the other fish as well as fall out with each other outside the breeding period. With a single you get none of the headaches.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I kept Rummynose, long term, many years ago in a 65 gal. tank. In those days Rummies weren't all that common & most were sold as adults.
I believe my Rummies were wild caught. They were all solidly built, rounded bellies & a little over an inch long when purchased.
The Rummies I see sold today are tiny, pale juveniles. Not very appealing.
There are so many options regarding schooling fish suitable for a 125 gal.
It will take a big finacial investment just to stock enough Rummynose tetras to be noticeable in a big tank.
Before ordering Rummies, look at Columbian, Buenos Aires, Bleeding Heart & Congo Tetras, fancy species of Silver Dollars, Rainbow fish, Filament or Denison Barbs.

deadhead

Reaction score
I keep rummeynose tetras with no problem in a planted 55 gallon. Ever since I started using RO/DI water I started having much better success with everything I keep. I agree with DoubleDutch. Corys aren't hard once you've had them awhile but they seem to have a horrible time adjusting to a new aquarium when you bring them home. My rummeynose don't seem to be any harder to keep than any of my other tetras.

I don't get why you would want so many of 2 types of fish? you could go with 2 or 3 types of corydoras with the number you're using and a bunch of different schools of tetra. I notice it's the rummeynose that get the whole schooling thing going from one side of the tank to the other but all my tetras seem to join in once it gets going.
Ember tetras, gold tetras, cardinal tetras, you name it they all jump in. I've even seen a marble hatchetfish or 2 join in which is pretty funny to see.

I would be cautious getting them first as this is a new set up but once the tank is established I wouldn't be concerned about keeping rummynose tetras alive.

One cool thing about rummynose is they tell a lot about your water quality. The better the water is, The bigger and brighter their red spot gets. They always look great after a water change.

deadhead

Reaction score
Flyfisha said:
I had a school of 18 odd rummy nose tetras they swim together in a true school. Fantastic to look at. However in the 4 foot no sooner had they started swimming in one direction they had to turn and swim the other way. I can only imagine what is going on with the fish at the tail of the school? The last fish in the school swims 3 feet at most back and forth back and forth following the leaders that are swimming 4 feet.
I had them in 2 foot tanks and saw little of this schooling behaviour.

I suggest they are not suitable for aquariums? There I said it.

An example of a good stop start swimmer is ember tetras - black neons etc. They swim this direction then that ,stop start stop start .
However you don’t see the schooling behaviour that you see is shoaling behaviour.
Perhaps they like turning around and going the other way. Otherwise, why would they do it?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I never have had luck with Rummies. I would buy 6 and get 1. buy 6 more now 2. With the drop of a hat they would just die for no reason. I just stopped getting them because they do not guarantee them and I was getting sick of spending 30 some dollars for 1 fish. Even though I LOVE them....

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rummies seem to die quite randomly. I have never kept them but had considered keeping, maybe switch them out with a different tetra?

deadhead

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Because it's the only thing they can do...?
I was at my LFS several months back and they had around 15 of those beautiful spotted stingrays. I started talking to the guy who runs the shop about how big they get, how long they live, how hard they are to take care of. I wondered how many people in my area even keep them. It turned into a debate on whether or not they should be held for anyone to come buy even if they don't know what they're doing. In my opinion, they should only be a special order made by an advanced aquarist who really knows what they're doing.

Now we're going to debate whether or not rummynose tetras are suitable for this hobby?

I've ruled out a lot of fish as being to large for an aquarium but I never thought the discussion would turn to rummynose tetras.

OP
BeardedTetra

BeardedTetra

Reaction score
This thread is getting good! From husbandry to behavior to ethics, "what a long strange trip it's been."

I've just about talked myself out of them b/c I basically I've spent way too much time on the hobby for a good while, and now I want to be lazy for a while and just have two or three easily maintained 75+ gallon tanks.

Maybe 100 neons and a couple of bristlenose plecos in the 125?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom