The Life And (hard) Times Of My Anacharis

A. Rozhin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi,

I have a heavily planted 10 gallon tank. All the plants are doing fabulously, except my anacharis. Any help is welcome.

Details--

1. They are planted in clumps. I don't want to float them.

2. I have planty of light, about 2 watts per gallon.

3. They stay nice rooted in my eco complete. They put out white roots all the way up the stalks. I can propagate clippings, but the same thing happens to all of them eventually; the lower stems become sad and bare, and the new top growth is lush and green. Whenever I get an offshoot, I prune, replant cutting, whole process starts again. Thinks start going wrong when they reach about 7 or 8 inches.

4. I dose Thrive, which is macros and micros. For all other plants, this worked better than Flourish. But Anacharis was like "Talk to the hand" for both ferts.

5. I have hard water, and keep the temperature at 76 degrees

6. None of my fish are plant eaters.

7. None of my snails are plant eaters.

I don't get it--the rest of the tank's plants are very healthy. I start out with healthy anacharis plants (I've ordered several shipments). Anacharis is basically a weed, but it doesn't want to do its weed think in my 10 gallon.

Any suggestions? I've read the deficiency list here, and can't find anything that applies.

I do know Excel kills it. For this and many other reasons I do not dose liquid carbon of any kind.

I don't have test kits for plant nutrients, and don't want to buy any. My other plants are fine, and anacharis shouldn't be one that needs fine tuning (don't want to go down the custom ferts road, I pick plants to avoid that).

Any suggestions?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Is there any chance the lower bits are having light blocked by the upper part? If not, try growing some in cold water for a while, mine do amazing in my coldwater tank but have started to melt back in a betta tank. That being said, it's doing fine in a shrimp tank that's heated at 75... My best guess would be the old growth and leaves are dying and the snails are taking care of the dead bits. Does it turn yellowish or does it just lose color?

A. Rozhin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Rtessy said:
Is there any chance the lower bits are having light blocked by the upper part? If not, try growing some in cold water for a while, mine do amazing in my coldwater tank but have started to melt back in a betta tank. That being said, it's doing fine in a shrimp tank that's heated at 75... My best guess would be the old growth and leaves are dying and the snails are taking care of the dead bits. Does it turn yellowish or does it just lose color?
Well, I don't have coldwater tanks. Both my betta tanks are warm, and my community tank is at 76, the best temperature for a compromise for all the fish. I don't have an interest in changing it to cold water and getting different fish. I was told anacharis would grow fine in this water ("It will grow in any water" was the attraction).

I don't think the lower part is blocked by upper part -- if so, how would anyone get them to grow unless they had side lighting.

The old growth/leaves are not dying in that they are not turning brown or yellow, do not lose color or become transparent. The snails aren't in them, and the snails can only eat dead vegetation anyway (my type of snails, anyway). I don't find leaves on the substrate. They just sort of shrink and get sparse until they are just a stalk. They aren't melting in the sense that I've seen things like sword plants do, because the new growth on the top is amazing.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's strange, any chance you could get a picture of the bare part? And I'm sorry for the confusion, by coldwater I just meant like chuck it in a bucket with no heater for a few days lol. How much growth do you get daily? How much in a week? And about how many inches start to become bare when it reaches 7/8 inches?

Notivation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had issues when I was trying to grow anacharis in my betta tank. pH was 7.6 and water was 78*F. I moved it to my shrimp tank with a pH of 6.4, extremely low KH, high GH, and 68* water, and it exploded. I think it was the acidity and cold combined that made it thrive.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
As long as they aren't directly under the light, it should all get some light. I have mine on the side of the tank, and it grows really well. 77 degrees and I also dose CO2 gas which probably helps.
I have Ph7.4 before gasing starts. Also, if the water isn't clear, me for now , lower sections will get less light as well. I have 3 lights on my 54g corner. My Kh/Gh is 4/10, but it moves around a little.

A. Rozhin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Notivation said:
I had issues when I was trying to grow anacharis in my betta tank. pH was 7.6 and water was 78*F. I moved it to my shrimp tank with a pH of 6.4, extremely low KH, high GH, and 68* water, and it exploded. I think it was the acidity and cold combined that made it thrive.
That might explain it. My pH is very high, 8.3 or so. I chose fish that thrive, but didn't think of the plants.

I don't want to use C02; it's a 10 gallon tank, low-tech, and I chose the anacharis because I was told it was effortless to grow.

Looks like I need to learn to be happy with my other plants, which are doing great.

Notivation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A. Rozhin said:
That might explain it. My pH is very high, 8.3 or so. I chose fish that thrive, but didn't think of the plants.

I don't want to use C02; it's a 10 gallon tank, low-tech, and I chose the anacharis because I was told it was effortless to grow.

Looks like I need to learn to be happy with my other plants, which are doing great.
I was told anacharis is like your easy going you can't kill it plant, yet here I am with a sad, scrawny looking half dead plant. I get what you're saying. They also said cabomba would be hard to grow, yet it's growing so far very well for me without much effort. *knock on wood*

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom