The latest torture chamber

Gozer_1

The people who invented that should have to live in a small closet with nothing more than an air hole and food port. See how they like being crammed in a box with their own waste and no room to move. Oh yeah not to mention loud music vibrating the closest all the time. This product really should be banned. It's animal cruelty plain and simple. It's disgusting. Could have easily been an animated fish display. A little fake fish that bobbed around to the music.

Chief_waterchanger
I agree it sucks. I think the reason things like this continue to be made is because the people fighting to have them banned should be fighting a different battle. They should be fighting to get it known that the fish suffer in that sort of situation, but the fine line to walk is: You don't want it to come across as though PETA were saying it, because a large group of people hear their message (me to at times) and think them a bunch of extremists, but you want the message to come across as a caring, urgent, well-thought out plead for the fish.

If people stopped buying these sorts of things they would stop making them, that's just how it is. Every good fishkeeper's duty is to inform as many people as they can about the fish' health, and school them on how to properly maintain a fish. The problem with spreading the message is that there are stupid fishkeepers spreading the message of keeping 3 goldfish (even baby ones) in a 10 gallon tank being alright, it's not. People like that are why we are taking 3 steps forward and 2 steps back in the struggle to educate the unknowledgeable ones.

/end rant.

Gozer_1
No we definitely don't need PETA involved. They have a rep of being extreme because they are. Most of the time anyway. If PETA were to get involved they'd likely be accusing all of us of animal cruelty for keeping fish in a tank no matter the size.Throwing red paint on people who buy these things wouldn't solve the problem any more than it stops the fur trade. CWC is absolutely right, the only solution is education. Too bad people don't read before they buy fish. Goldfish and Bettas get the worst end of the deal because of false information spread rampantly throughout the hobby. "Oh bettas live in puddles. They're fine", "That goldfish will only grow to fit it's tank". Those falsehood are rather deeply ingrained in societal notions of fish keeping. Same as "Let the tank cycle for 24 hours before adding fish" or "One inch per gallon of water". With this bad info all over signs and caresheets at the store it's hard to be a customer and try to help a beginner. No matter how you come off the beginner is going to take the little stickers advice over the seasoned veteran fellow customer. "The store says so". "Your just a customer like me. What could you possibly know that the store employees don't?" The worst are the impulse Walmart beginners. I always try to steer them away from their fish but most always go home with a huge bag full and a "Thanks for your help but I think they'll be fine."

Ok it's 5 Am and I need to sleep still so no more ranting. Till tomorrow lol.

COBettaCouple
oh yea, I remember another post about that completely idiotic fish coffin. :'(

right, we educate people. I like to tell people looking at bettas, they need more than a little bowl and explain how much happier and more fun a betta is in a decent tank.

Allie
What the heck? ???

sirdarksol
In addition to the size of the tank, water carries sound as minuscule shock-waves. If you've ever been under water when the side of a plastic or metal pool/tub/whatever has been struck, you feel the impact as well as hear the sound. Think of this happening constantly, particularly if you're listening to metal, rap, or orchestral music (think timpani). Fish have died from being put to close to a speaker, so this seems just idiotic.

I seriously thought nothing could beat the little 2pint "tank" that had a divider so you could keep two bettas at the same time, but this takes the cake so far.

Bede
UGH!
I wish I wouldn't have clicked the link.

Drea
Disgusting

You know the more I see what people are capable of the more I love my pets. I can't believe what I just saw.

ollyaaa
but what kind of person would be stupid enough to think its suitable for a fish, regardless of how much u know about the hobby?!??!!

I really don't see how these things sell, some idiots in the world!

sirdarksol
but what kind of person would be stupid enough to think its suitable for a fish, regardless of how much u know about the hobby?!??!!

Sadly, some people think that animals are here for our amusement, and we, in turn, have no responsibility to treat them well or take care of them. So if a betta has its life reduced by a factor of ten in order to make a pretty thing on our desktop, that's fine.

0morrokh

Yeah I agree, to be blunt we must live in a world of total idiots if they think that "iPond" or whatever the heck they call it is a suitable home for a fish. Example of an idiot:

From the article-"Output from the speakers was small and fish in iPonds seemed to flourish, she [marketing manager for pet chains ] said."

flourish!!!!?? [insert choice words describing person who said that]

King_Snuggles
It's disgusting. Can the fish even turn around? I feel a little bad having one betta and two Corys in a six gal.

0morrokh
I know I feel the same way, I know my Bettas are ok in 5 gals (they're in a divided 10) but I wish I could have them in much bigger tanks. I can't imagine putting one in a tiny little container, especially one that plays loud music... The article says the ipond is 650 mL's, anyone know what fraction of a gallon that translates to?

Gozer_1
In addition to the size of the tank, water carries sound as minuscule shock-waves. If you've ever been under water when the side of a plastic or metal pool/tub/whatever has been struck, you feel the impact as well as hear the sound. Think of this happening constantly, particularly if you're listening to metal, rap, or orchestral music (think timpani). Fish have died from being put to close to a speaker, so this seems just idiotic.

Sound travels twice as fast through water as it does through air. That's why the Navy and such use Sonar. Essentially sound is just tiny concussion waves. Considering the Lateral line of a fish detects pressure differential, the sound waves would be like boxing your fishes ears.
Here's an interesting link about the Lateral Line System

Tom
I guess I should take mine back then. lol Just kidding. That is an outrage, but we can't really do anything for the ones that are already bought for people.
Tom

0morrokh
Someone on another forum said it's 2.7 cups of water or .17 gal. That's ridiculous!!!!! It's amazing the Betta even fits in there!

Chief_waterchanger
The someone on the other site is correct. 3785.6 milliliters per gallon. 3785.6 divided by 650 = 5.84.

1 gallon divided by 5.84 =.17(bunch of other numbers after that).

Oblivion
Why in the heck would you want to house a Betta in that?!?! It prob can't even turn around, much less even move! Not only will it listen to loud music...that sounds like a rock concert in its ears, it maybe be a 50 Cent concert because some stupid person is probably listening to that stupid song, "I Get Money." Yes we know you get money, does the Betta care? NO! OMG! This infuriates me. Whoever thought of it should indeed be locked in a cardboard box where he has to crouch in his own poop and breath through a straw while listening to Brown Note. UGH! I rest my case.

Oblivion
"The speaker is directly coupled to the outside of the tank ... [so] you are going to have a small level of sound introduced," Mr Gedamke said.

Small level of sound?!?! More like double the sound since its in water!

ricktavious
I realize that for some reason people do not think of bettas as a fish, and hardly think of them as a living creature. The only thing that gets me some comfort even in some of those crappy betta kits they get is it is at least slightly better than their pet store cups. This though, this is unreal. Doesn't something like this violate animal cruelty laws? Honestly, un-freakin-real

0morrokh
Animal cruelty laws? Do such things even exist?

ricktavious

Not for fish, they don't count

I know in some countries there are laws that to have a pet fish, you must have a tank of a certain size. Hopefully we can catch on to this law (and the Aussies).

0morrokh
Not for fish, they don't count

I know in some countries there are laws that to have a pet fish, you must have a tank of a certain size. Hopefully we can catch on to this law (and the Aussies).

Like that's ever gonna happen...all our politicians care about is money, and they get money by claiming to push issues that most people care about, not by endorsing "animal rights extremists"

On a slightly more positive note I just looked at my time and it's only 1/2 hr till Christmas! Merry Christmas!!

COBettaCouple
it's all about the benjamins.. or whatever's on currency in various countries. Sadly more people care about money than about treating life with respect.

sirdarksol

Depends on the country. Somewhere in Europe, there was a horrifying "art" exhibit that involved killing fish, and there actually was a court case over animal cruelty, but it was decided that the animals died instantly, and there for didn't suffer. No suffering, no cruelty. But the fact that it went to court suggests that it was being taken seriously.

0morrokh
Yeah I was mostly being sarcastic, I realize that places like north america and parts of europe have better regulations on animals than some other parts of the world, but it's still not great.

sirdarksol
Sorry, I actually meant to quote ricktavious' post on the laws applying to fish.

Jessie
I don't know how it applies to fish in a home, but I know some states do have laws reguarding how many fish you can keep in a tank before it is regarded as cruel when it comes to pet stores. That is probably something that varies state by state.

Barbrella
Can you imagine the public outcry and outrage if sellers and retailers were pushing this type of product using any other type of animal, like a teddy bear hamster or tiny mouse?

Bettas are now just fashion accessories, party favours and decorations. Are people really this stupid? It's frightening to think they don't recognize that a betta is an animal of flesh and blood and a brain - more brains obviously than the morons who dreamed up this disgusting thing and others like it.

janoue
The most discusting thing I've ever seen

That is the most discusting thing I've ever seen!! Who could do that to a living thing. I hope the product gets enough complaints and gets recalled and then charged for some animal creuelty act. Something else we should be boycotting....Utube. They are showing two males fighting. Lots of them! I almost got sick. I just went on to see if they had any footage of a spawn, which they did and its very interesting, however, was discuted to see the fish fighting.

ricktavious
I just did a youtube search and was surprised there was as little of that on there (which is sad, really). Some people are 100% trash and have no regard for life.

We should all be thankful that we are good, decent people who know better and are able to do what we can.

pamd
Someone on another forum said it's 2.7 cups of water or .17 gal. That's ridiculous!!!!! It's amazing the Betta even fits in there!
Perhaps there's more depth than shows, but it looks to me, just guessing, that there's less than 1/3 of a cup of water. That's even worse than the horrid little cups in which Bettas are displayed in the petshops. If this is truly a real thing, it's outrageous! I almost can't believe it's real. If the depth looks like it seems to me, the poor fish could not turn around. Horrid, horrid, horrid. On top of that, the poor fish is subjected to the sound-waves from the speaker. I agree with others who have said things like the inventors of this should be subjected to living in a box or small closet drowning in their own poop.

Ianthe

Yeah, I don't think it's all about people being ignorant. Before I knew anything about bettas, when I was a little kid, I'd see them in the store and just knew they shouldn't be kept in those tiny cups. One time, many years ago I remember I asked a store employee how the fish could live in those cups and she said they liked it, could live their entire lives in there, and didn't even need to be fed! Even though I was completely ignorant of bettas, I wanted to punch her in the face. People have got to know this is wrong?

What the ****, I know there's a lot of animal abuse out there, in industry or whatnot and it's easy to overlook that. But when you're up face to face with it... and they said these things sold quickly...

COBettaCouple
Yea, just because they don't make sounds, people don't give bettas the care, respect or compassion that other pets get. It's stupid because all animals deserve that and the cruelty that lies in the hearts of people really shows with how we treat our pets and other animals.

Can you imagine the public outcry and outrage if sellers and retailers were pushing this type of product using any other type of animal, like a teddy bear hamster or tiny mouse?

Bettas are now just fashion accessories, party favours and decorations. Are people really this stupid? It's frightening to think they don't recognize that a betta is an animal of flesh and blood and a brain - more brains obviously than the morons who dreamed up this disgusting thing and others like it.

Gozer_1
Yea, just because they don't make sounds, people don't give bettas the care, respect or compassion that other pets get. It's stupid because all animals deserve that and the cruelty that lies in the hearts of people really shows with how we treat our pets and other animals.

No sound, and you can't pet them. Only the fuzzy animals have feelings right? My Betta has more personality than most people I know. More excitement than my Oscar even. lol Probably my most emotive fish, though it's a close race with the Oscar.

COBettaCouple
exactly.. 'cuddlier' = more feelings. I've seen emotions in every kind of fish that we've had, even though our Bettas have shown the most complex emotions of the different fish we have. Our Angel fish comes in 2nd, even though we've just had him a month & a half.

True.. I think we all know people that don't have as much personality as our Bettas. I just always find it interesting when someone comes over & sees our Bettas. It's always "wow! I had no idea fish could be like that!".

No sound, and you can't pet them. Only the fuzzy animals have feelings right? My Betta has more personality than most people I know. More excitement than my Oscar even. lol Probably my most emotive fish, though it's a close race with the Oscar.

Barbrella
I just always find it interesting when someone comes over & sees our Bettas. It's always "wow! I had no idea fish could be like that!".

That's exactly the reaction I see in people who come here. They usually end up standing in front of the betta tanks for ages, amazed at how a fish sits there looking them right in the eye and doing their cute wiggle dances!

The only other fish I've had that came close to being so interactive were my Severums. I think it's because bettas are so antisocial with their own kind that they focus so much on us.

≈ D ≈
Seeing that iPond just made me so

Whoever invented that should be strung up!

Better still, put them in one of those glass escape containers that magicians use, give them a snorkel, fill it with pee and them throw them in there for a few months - see how they like it.

0morrokh
Seeing that iPond just made me so

Whoever invented that should be strung up!

Better still, put them in one of those glass escape containers that magicians use, give them a snorkel, fill it with pee and them throw them in there for a few months - see how they like it.

excellent idea.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jen86
Replies
Views
Inactive User
Replies
Views
waterlilykari
Replies