The hospital where I work is full of it!

Angela_96
They started this that we all had to have direct deposit... well there are a bunch of us "old timers" that like to take our checks to the bank and see our cash, and then do with it as we wish.... And about 500 of us..
Well we all banded together well they said they would not do anything but direct deposit, however they couldn't not pay us either.... So they anounced this past couple weeks all paystubs, etc will be mailed on the last of the week from knox, which would take 3 days to get to my house...
I just got my mail, it was in my mailbox once again I got my check as normal this time delivered to me saving me gas! What punishment! They postdate the checks until FrI anyways and I can't cash it until today.... then deliver it to me? Oh the torture!!!! My boss asked if I did the direct deposit, I said nope.. don't plan to... they can't not pay me either... he agreed.. The worst they can do is make me do their creidit union thing... I might bend then...
I still say I want a check so I can see my green that I earn! Just a thing, I have had a job since I was 13 working under the table for my aunt in a skating rink, and I am now 30 so that's been over half my life.. and I have never been jobless.. so when I get my checks I want to see my earnings... I hated my last job where I had direct deposit and never saw a dime until I went to the atm or bank...

The other thing they lied about the "main" hospital in knox was printing and mailing them out.. it still came from the local bank in town where my hospital is.... lol... they are full of it!

What are they going to do fire 500 people protesting because they want checks? They can't not pay us either... I think we will come out ahead....

luna
They just want to do direct deposit because they're cheap and lazy. Good for you for standing up to them.

Direct deposit also requires people to HAVE a checking account, and some people (as odd as it may be, I've known a few) either don't want or can't have them.

Tavel
I'm the complete opposite, I love direct deposit. My money is available to me at 12AM friday morning. Whereas guys that get checks get them on friday, and usually have to wait until monday to cash them.

But I haven't used cash since I was 18, I don't want cash. I keep a few dollars in my wallet just in case, but beyond that it's all Bank Card (works like a credit card, but using your money instead of someone else's money which you later pay back).

Btw: they probably can force that on you by making it a term of employment, assuming you live in an 'employment at will' state. "If you don't want direct deposit, we can't pay you, and therefore you can't work here." Of course, they'd have to first provide you with a checking account because that could be an undue burden to you if they didn't.

Angela_96
we do have access to an account.. we just prefer the cash.. its easier for us. There is a ton of fees associated w/ banks and using them...
What I can't get is the hospital is printing up checks w/ void on them for the direct deposit people and mailing out their stubs, so they are spending more money out now in mailing??? it would be cheaper to continue the old business of giving them out at the hospital...
IF they made it a term of employment they would have to get rid of 500 people and at that hospital that would basicly be 90 percent of us...

nmwierman1977
I used to have a job with direct deposit. When they first told us that they had planned on doing this I wasn't happy either, but then once it started it wasn't so bad. I actually kind of liked it better because I was able to control my money better and it forced me not to take so much out of the check. They handed us paystubs every week, so we were able to see what we were getting if there was any overtime or whatever. You may think its a pain now because you're so used to getting handed a check to cash yourslef, but you will see its not so bad. Natalie

Shawnie
I like the direct deposit also...saves me on gas and waiting in line etc...theres no fee's in our state, NH , all our banking is free...and I love having my money on holidays where as other sometimes have to wait a few days if payday falls on a holiday...but, this is an "OPTION" for us not something that's maditory

Angela_96
I used to have a job with direct deposit. When they first told us that they had planned on doing this I wasn't happy either, but then once it started it wasn't so bad. I actually kind of liked it better because I was able to control my money better and it forced me not to take so much out of the check. They handed us paystubs every week, so we were able to see what we were getting if there was any overtime or whatever. You may think its a pain now because you're so used to getting handed a check to cash yourslef, but you will see its not so bad. Natalie

my last job that I worked we used direct deposit.. I hated it... and when my husband and I first met the job he worked for years did the same it was a pain.. that's why we love getting checks

mrsmuffin
I have direct deposit (required by my company) and my husband does not. I absolutely HATE having to go to the bank when he gets paid (luckily in this case is only once a month)

Of course, I am also the payroll administrator for our company of over 1000 employees and have to say that if we didn't have manditory direct deposit the staff in our department would have to at least double. That would mean lower profits for the company which leads to less benefits and less pay increases...when you look at the big picture, it makes a lot of sense. We offer a "pay card" that works just like a debit/credit card without the checks.

Angela_96
I guess w/ us living in the rural area of TN we are "old fashioned" and all of us together are the ones who do like our paychecks.... Honestly.. after reading a couple books on finances for the family we stuck w/ one that taught dealing cash only basis... never having credit cards, etc.. well I have a "walmart" card I load when I need a credit card... so we are literally only in debt for 2 things our house and our car... less than 60,000 right now... a great feeling especially since my husband and I made way more than that last year...
We have a car just about to be paid off.. and we will be going in debt for him a truck this summer... which will ad to the family debt... but its so nice to not be one of the many who are seriously in debt out their ears! The other thing is dealing cash only we can go to our spot... and count down the money and know exactly how much we have, now wondering if this check has been through the bank yet, etc.... we have an exact balance..
My grandfather did this same thing many many years ago (in the early 80's) well after a couple of years working in his garage after work he came home one day, my grandmother needed a new car.. he politely went got the cash and bought her a brand new car in cash... they ended up w/ a couple million in the 90's after he saved like that and never went in debt, then he got into the stock market some, rental property.. etc... so its more than just a hate the bank thing...(btw he eventually had so much money he had to open accounts.. he had to open several at different banks up to the amount that the feds would insure then go to a different bank now that he has demintia my grandmother is still finding a couple banks he had money at)

Halibut
we do have access to an account.. we just prefer the cash.. its easier for us. There is a ton of fees associated w/ banks and using them...
What I can't get is the hospital is printing up checks w/ void on them for the direct deposit people and mailing out their stubs, so they are spending more money out now in mailing??? it would be cheaper to continue the old business of giving them out at the hospital...
IF they made it a term of employment they would have to get rid of 500 people and at that hospital that would basicly be 90 percent of us...

If your bank is charging you for using a debit card or checks(instead of cash) your at the wrong bank. Sorry but with all the "Free checking" account's offered these days you should only be paying fees when you need something special(including using another banks ATM) or just plain mess it up. Usually all you have to do is have direct deposit and more are going to just free checking w/o the restrictions(such as DirectDeposit). My wife has spent many years int he banking industry so I have the benefit of her knowledge. The only time I see fee's is when my wife(go figure) overdraws her account.

I'm looking forward to the day when its thumb prints and retinal scans for everything.

Kinda interesting though that cashiers no longer look at me funny when I swipe my visa for $1.50 lol. I almost never carry cash anymore.

Shawnie
Kinda interesting though that cashiers no longer look at me funny when I swipe my visa for $1.50 lol. I almost never carry cash anymore.

that is sooooooooooo me LOL ...my dunkin donuts coffee 2.33 swipe ..I so never carry cash anymore either...otherwise I ALWAYS find something to spend it on

Angela_96
that is sooooooooooo me LOL ...my dunkin donuts coffee 2.33 swipe ..I so never carry cash anymore either...otherwise I ALWAYS find something to spend it on

ah, but the other end of the spectrum is if you have a hundred dollar bill in your purse/wallet you are less likely (or I am) to spend it. I have the theory that once its broken down it dwindles into nothing in no time flat...
I will though grab quarters for a pop machine.. (el cheapo!)... It will pay off one day..
(of coarse this is the same person whose fish have a set of over 200 dollar lights on their tanks, and 200 dollars in filters on just the 55 gallon tank) But it is my hobby.. then my husbands hobby hunting.. he puts a lot of money in it too..

Shawnie
ah, but the other end of the spectrum is if you have a hundred dollar bill in your purse/wallet you are less likely (or I am) to spend it. I have the theory that once its broken down it dwindles into nothing in no time flat...
I will though grab quarters for a pop machine.. (el cheapo!)... It will pay off one day..

LOL the day I have a hundred in my purse, will be the day I won't care where my moneys going heheheh....ill just take a bath with bills all over me!

Angela_96
LOL the day I have a hundred in my purse, will be the day I won't care where my moneys going heheheh....ill just take a bath with bills all over me!

that's where all of our years in college paid off... lol
I wish! My husband has a bachlors in enviromental science/wildlife management and works as a paramedic.. I work as a resp therapist...
We do make good money... but not that good!
The thing is I didn't say how long that hundred had to last!! he he he..

Halibut
Factor by 10 the amount of money I have spent on this hobby and use that figure for my other hobby. 100's burn holes in my pockets just as fast as 20's.

Martinismommy
I have direct deposit and I LOVE it! Not only are the funds available a day earlier but I also get free checking

Ntruder1400
I love my direct deposit! My credit union credits my account two to three days before the actual payday. I usually get my money in the bank on Wednesday night, when everyone else has to wait until Friday.

Steveangela - I also work as a paramedic, but would not call it "good money" by any stretch of the imagination! If TN is paying good money for medics, I would consider relocating! My wife does not want to move, but after the winter we have had here in NH, I bet I could talk her into moving south!! Florida EMS has been offering $20K relocation bonuses that I have been considering for a while now, but the money down there is paltry.

needabiggertank
20k would be a nice tank!!!!

Shawnie
NH here also Ntruder and it sure was a rough winter for sure

Angela_96
I love my direct deposit! My credit union credits my account two to three days before the actual payday. I usually get my money in the bank on Wednesday night, when everyone else has to wait until Friday.

Steveangela - I also work as a paramedic, but would not call it "good money" by any stretch of the imagination! If TN is paying good money for medics, I would consider relocating! My wife does not want to move, but after the winter we have had here in NH, I bet I could talk her into moving south!! Florida EMS has been offering $20K relocation bonuses that I have been considering for a while now, but the money down there is paltry.

Between the 2 of us we clear over 60k a year... and that's w/ me only working prn... and I get all the time in the world at home w/ the kids. He has been at it for a few years, and is also a critical care paramedic so I guess that helps his hourly wage a bit... I would much rather him use his degree we could be much better off.. but he loves the job! so its better for him to do what he likes.. I am going back to school when my youngest starts... I want out of healthcare if I can't make better than I do... but I make a lot more on the hour than him and I complain... I also went to school the same amt of time as an RN and have the same degree just not nursing.. mine is in crit care resp therapy.. go figure.. for our area that is good money.. cost of living isn't much here..

needabiggertank
you mean between the 299 (54 Fish Lore members and 245 guests) of us

Ntruder1400
I have been in EMS for 15 years. I definitely do it because I love it, not for the money, though it would be nice if we were paid a bit better for what we do. The biggest draw for me (other than "helping people") has been the schedule - it's tough to beat two 24 hour shifts. I work two days a week and have five days a week off - and I get 8 hours of overtime to boot. I come close to $60K/year not including my wife's income, so I guess there is a lot to be said for the differing costs-of-living between our regions.

Ntruder1400
Shawnie - I am so sick of snow. I still have one patch in my yard that just won't melt!! I usually wait for the street-sweeper to come by before I'll take the motorcycle out of hibernation, but the fuel prices have forced me to modify my routine this year. Greetings to a fellow NHer.

Tavel

I guarantee that exactly 0% of your coworkers would walk in defiance of direct deposit. It's just not worth it, especially to someone with a family and a life. You have to pick your fights, like a safe work area and being treated with dignity. Direct deposit is just really trivial in comparison.

I definitely agree that credit cards are bad mojo. I personally find them more irritating than anything. It's just like using my bank card (which is a mastercard), but then I have to go through the extra process of sending visa a check every month, worrying about all their tricky fine print and special offers, and spam...count me out.

But you have to remember that people aren't in debt because they have credit cards, they're in debt because they're irresponsible (FREE MONEY!). The credit card doesn't do it, the person holding it does.

BTW: everything about my checking account, even the bank card, is absolutely free. I can even check my balance, transaction history, and transfer money between my savings and checking on-line, for free, any time. I like Harris Bank.

Angela_96
Yea cost of living makes a huge difference... I do plan to go back to school also and go for bigger and better too.... so we can have a better income. I wish he could use his degree and get out of EMS, he could make a lot of money! But he did work shocking fish doing fishery work as an intern and absoulutly hated it. So, until the local game warden retires, that's the only job hes willing to go for until then...
If I stay in healthcare I am going for Crna.. or nurse practioner... so basicly the big money for doing it... I do love taking care of people don't get me wrong I am the one who don't like being told what to do... (he tells me I should have went to school to be a paramedic all the time)...

Def if it causes a "walkout" kind of situation, or a big ordeal yea I will do the direct deposit.. but until then... no way.

Halibut
I guarantee that exactly 0% of your coworkers would walk in defiance of direct deposit. It's just not worth it, especially to someone with a family and a life. You have to pick your fights, like a safe work area and being treated with dignity. Direct deposit is just really trivial in comparison.

I definitely agree that credit cards are bad mojo. I personally find them more irritating than anything. It's just like using my bank card (which is a mastercard), but then I have to go through the extra process of sending visa a check every month, worrying about all their tricky fine print and special offers, and spam...count me out.

But you have to remember that people aren't in debt because they have credit cards, they're in debt because they're irresponsible (FREE MONEY!). The credit card doesn't do it, the person holding it does.

BTW: everything about my checking account, even the bank card, is absolutely free. I can even check my balance, transaction history, and transfer money between my savings and checking on-line, for free, any time. I like Harris Bank.

I have agree with almost everything except credit cards can be a good thing if used properly. I pay mine online it's just a basic transfer between accounts and as you said all that is free. I don't get a bunch a spam due to the card nor do I ever pay any extra fee's, it canbe good in a pinch and also is quite useful for puchases online. Dont forget their are some things out their that REQUIRE you to have a credit card, I know rental cars atleast used to be that way. If someone gets the number to my credit card I don't view that as being as bad as someone getting ahold of my banck card or account number.

COBettaCouple
Yea, I'm pretty "cashless" and with gas prices going up everyday it seems, I'd like to save the trips to the bank but I don't get an option to have direct deposit. I think it really should be an option at every workplace to do either way.

Angela_96
after the electric bill we got today I might as well just turn my paycheck over to the utlity company... lol

COBettaCouple
True. Another way we pay for high oil prices.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Leeman75
Replies
Views
Angela_96
Replies
Views
LICfish
Replies