The Haul

Dewclaw83

So I braved the outside world today!

Before all of this, we had started a semester long research project looking at aquariums for one of my classes. We set up nine 1 gallon aquariums (Don't come for me - I could only do so much lol) with one control, and then 8 various conditions (High versus low velocity water, pH, increased plant biomass, competition, etc). For the competition tank, I had donated 5 of my many ramshorn snails. The professor bought the rest of the stuff - I suggested going to the (Not very good) LFS and asking for free pest snails (Pond snails), and buying some hornwort. Well she ended up buying some really random stuff online, like elodea and some snails that didn't really look like pond snails to me. Anyways, we collected data once before spring break and all of this happened. She decided to ditch the experiment and have us use just literature values, so I emailed her and asked if I could get my snails back, and she said I could take anything and everything! So that's what I did today.

When I looked closer, I realized that the snails definitely not pond snails, but Olive Nerite snails (How she mixed those us, I don't know). I found a few hitchhikers as well, so in total I got:

-25 Olive Nerite snails (2 or 3 may or may not be alive, they're withdrawn, but don't smell. Many also have calcium deficiencies, but I can help them with that.)
-My 5 blue ramshorns plus 2 brown hitchhiking ramshorns
-7 bladder snails
-Two 1/2 gallon containers worth of a plants, which I suspect are fanwort
-A handful of duckweed
-4 or 5 scuds, and at least of of each gender

I'm pretty pleased with that. I've got some fish that will appreciate snacking on the bladder snails, and if I can get the scuds going as a colony, I'll have a great live food source. Someday I hope to have some goldfish, so the duckweed will come in handy then (Until that point though... going to try and keep it out of my tanks). I was actually contemplating buying some more nerites, so this is perfect. I'm just super excited about all of it!

Mr. Kgnao

But what is hypothesis? I mean how can you control for 8 separate variables at once?

Dewclaw83

But what is hypothesis? I mean how can you control for 8 separate variables at once?
We didn’t. Each group had their own hypothesis. I don’t know everyone’s but my partner and I were comparing the plant biomass in the control tank (“pond” snails only), and the competition tank (“pond” snails and ramshorns). Our hypothesis was that the plant biomass would grow at different rates between the two. The prediction was that the plant biomass in the competition tank would increase at a slower rate, as the second species of snails would cause one of the species to resort to consuming plants rather than algae.

It’s not like it was a great way to do experiments in the first place, and not how I would’ve done any of it. As I said, I only had so much influence. And it’s not like it matters now anyways

Mr. Kgnao

We didn’t. Each group had their own hypothesis. I don’t know everyone’s but my partner and I were comparing the plant biomass in the control tank (“pond” snails only), and the competition tank (“pond” snails and ramshorns). Our hypothesis was that the plant biomass would grow at different rates between the two. The prediction was that the plant biomass in the competition tank would increase at a slower rate, as the second species of snails would cause one of the species to resort to consuming plants rather than algae.

It’s not like it was a great way to do experiments in the first place, and not how I would’ve done any of it. As I said, I only had so much influence. And it’s not like it matters now anyways
Yeah, not trying to call you out. I just feel like labs are mostly teaching cargo cult science.

"Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention. Science has it all."

Dewclaw83

Yeah, not trying to call you out. I just feel like labs are mostly teaching cargo cult science.

"Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention. Science has it all."
My college is pretty good about having productive labs where you design your own experiments and actually learn things, luckily. Not all the time, obviously, but most of the time

Mr. Kgnao

My college is pretty good about having productive labs where you design your own experiments and actually learn things, luckily. Not all the time, obviously, but most of the time
Well, that's good. A lot of students I meet are really excited about all the neat equipment they're getting to use, but they are totally unaware of the underlying philosophy of science.

Debbie1986

Well, that's good. A lot of students I meet are really excited about all the neat equipment they're getting to use, but they are totally unaware of the underlying philosophy of science.
it's funny you said this. I was literally told the other day that scientific method is meaningless.... and they were serious.

My response was: huh?

modern education... yikes

Dewclaw83

it's funny you said this. I was literally told the other day that scientific method is meaningless.... and they were serious.

My response was: huh?

modern education... yikes
Ugh, yeah, there’s a lot wrong with modern education, but there’s also a lot of good stuff too. Like I said tho, my college is pretty good about stuff. I really enjoy my classes and professors

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
ystrout
Replies
Views
LoveMyADF
Replies
Views