The hardness of maintaining water hardness/ph Help 

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm in the process of cycling a 6gal tank with a Betta, and a 10 gallon tank with 3 guppies, 1 pepper cat. The 6gal is on day 18. The 10 gal on day 10. I have 3 water parameters to work with, I got these test results using API test kits.
Tap-GH-120ppm,KH-1dkh-35.8ppm, PH-7.2, Amm. 1ppm.
Bottled Spring- GH- 30ppm, KH- 1dkh-17.9ppm, PH- 6.0, Amm. 0ppm
Bottled with 3 cups warm water to get 78 degrees. GH-30ppm, KH 1dkh-17.9
ppm, Amm. 0.25ppm.

During my cycle period I'm using the bottled/tap mix. My tanks average parameters for the last 5 days are. 6gal- GH-60ppm, KH-2dkh, PH 6.6, NO2- 0ppm, Amm. 0.50ppm Temp 78. The 10 gallon- GH- 60ppm, KH- 1dkh, PH- 6.4, NO2- 0ppm, Amm. 0.50ppm, Temp 78.
The 6gal with Betta I'm Fine with. But the 10 gallon with guppys I would like to get the GH,KH,PH, up. At least 10dkh hardness and 7 PH. I do not want to use chemicals. I'm considering using a hand full of crushed coral in my filter. But I'm concerned that if I do get the PH up, when I do water changes will it shock my fish using water with a extremely different PH level? I know this is a lot of info. but any suggestions would be great.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
May I ask why you're trying to change the pH? And what your pH is out of the tap?

Most fish can adjust to whatever water comes out of your tap. It's better for them to have *consistent* pH rather than one that is strictly within the recommended parameters for their species. It might affect their breeding, but not their general health. Then again, since it's guppies, I don't know if anything pH-related is going to affect guppies breeding...

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
midthought said:
Most fish can adjust to whatever water comes out of your tap. It's better for them to have *consistent* pH rather than one that is strictly within the recommended parameters for their species.
Agree.
This may help - good links in it.
Welcome to FL

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My tap water has a good ph 7.2 but runs 1ppm-2ppm ammonia. But my ph has been consistent but low. So I guess I'll let things be and see what happens. Did lose 1 guppy yesterday.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh wow that's really unfortunate (the ammonia as well as your guppy loss). Here are some links with suggestions on what to do with tap water with ammonia in it.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads