The Han’s Experience!

tiffani

They are all nice looking discus, but the pigeon blues are gorgeous. They all look happy & healthy!

Advertisement
jmaldo
Congrats! on the new acquisitions.
Looking Good!

Advertisement
Thedudeiam94
Decided to place a bag of bio-balls above my 55 sponge filter under the canister output. Bio-balls need good flow to allow better growth of bb which is why I placed it above my sponge filter bubbles. It allows the bubbles to travel through the bag of bio-balls at least creating some sort of “flow” I guess you could say. Considering getting another canister to add to the tank later once the rest of the discus grow a few inches. Water Paramus are still spot on! Low nitrates and ammonia, ph stays consistent. Forgot to get a pic this morning but will get one after work. Also bought some of the omega one cichlids food cubes. Says they have mainly fish and shrimp eggs. I’ll have to get exact ingredients later! So far they are eating it. Hesitate at first but fed them two yesterday and one again this morning. Not too interested unless I hold the cube. So that is a work in progress. Just got more brine shrimp (this time with spirulina) and more blood worms along the cichlid formula. Keeping their diet exposed to different foods. Seem like everything is working out and they are doing well!

jmaldo
Decided to place a bag of bio-balls above my 55 sponge filter under the canister output. Bio-balls need good flow to allow better growth of bb which is why I placed it above my sponge filter bubbles. It allows the bubbles to travel through the bag of bio-balls at least creating some sort of “flow” I guess you could say. Considering getting another canister to add to the tank later once the rest of the discus grow a few inches.

Hmm...Creative, planning ahead.
I like it.
Now you got me thinking about my upgrade in 6-8 weeks.

Thedudeiam94
Hmm...Creative, planning ahead.
I like it.
Now you got me thinking about my upgrade in 6-8 weeks.

Would much rather be safe than sorry! Always a good idea to plan ahead! Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

9cda190d35b83ce1a6db76cbfb6019bc.jpg

bb51538b9e140a61f8137317cc9af3da.jpg
d53cc7c80e377f58dd5b44182d21781e.jpg

03ab2ad2879bdbdff22a2bd8b4cc2e2c.jpg

fa4960
Would much rather be safe than sorry! Always a good idea to plan ahead! Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

You got to get yourself a sump Dude, so much easier to plan ahead. I have loads of extra bio media in there, mainly for the hospital tank when needed. If I had many tanks being taken up and down regularly I could handle it all from the sump of one (big) tank.

Advertisement
Thedudeiam94

9cda190d35b83ce1a6db76cbfb6019bc.jpg

bb51538b9e140a61f8137317cc9af3da.jpg
d53cc7c80e377f58dd5b44182d21781e.jpg

03ab2ad2879bdbdff22a2bd8b4cc2e2c.jpg

Lol just realized it looks like I got mug shots of my fish lol

Bag of bio-balls above bubble filter and slightly into output of canister. Have three more bags same sizes hoping to get another canister filter soon. Probably next month or two if growth stays steady.

d6a25159f15b880711542a6f664dac41.jpg

coralbandit
I shutter every time I hear someone I like say canister ...
Please name and show video of real fish keepers and their rooms running canisters ?
Never mind it won't change my mind ..One power failure and you have a container full of poison and dead bio media .I guess besides that and all the problems people have with them ,the ease of cleaning they are ok ?
Your fish look great ..Turn left !

Thedudeiam94
I would much rather have a sump however I don’t have the space for one yet so sadly this is what I’m stuck with for the time being. However I replace the filter floss once a month every month so it stays pretty clean honestly. Although I’m not a fan of not being able to clean the inside of the head where the impeller is located. That’s where my main concern is if anything bad we’re to happen in the future. It’s impossible to clean unless you run bleach water through the canister in a bucket of water to “clean clean” them if needed. I’ve been doing my research on sumps though! the time will come!

coralbandit
I like HOBS over canisters any day probably any brand ...
Sumps are for big tanks IMO. Any tank under 75 g can be run well without a sump .

Advertisement
Thedudeiam94
I like HOBS over canisters any day probably any brand ...
Sumps are for big tanks IMO. Any tank under 75 g can be run well without a sump .

Elaborate on why that is? I would like to know your reasoning behind your decision.

coralbandit
Canisters cost 3 times as much ,they have no more flow or space in them in compare to price ?
They leak and are hard to clean . When [not if] your power fails you stand a good chance of suffocating your bacteria while what is in your canister rots ..
I have owned a few in my day ..I pitty you all thinking you are getting something better for the money ..How American it all seems !
60+ tanks maybe 50 Aquaclears ,uncountable sponge filters and 3 sumps..NO CANISTERS ..
Again show me a fish breeder/keepers room that is run on canisters ...I'll show you a not so smart keeper ...
I run an AQ70 and 110 with 2 sponges on my 65 g that has 4 fish in it ...All probably cheaper then a medium canister ….
I know I can clean all 4 in less time then one canister and with one tenth the trouble ...

Thedudeiam94
I actually intended on running an AQ70 on my 20 long sw tank when I get around to setting that up. I’m not a fan of canisters that much. I don’t mind them but I wouldn’t recommend them. Unless you replace the filter floss once a month they get so nasty imo they’re more of a hassle to clean than they are to run. Don’t add enough wv to make it worth it IMO either much rather have a sump. But I still like my sponge filters. Worse comes to worse with the canister I could probably rely on my sponges and bio-bag to keep the tank pretty healthy. I stay pretty on top of water changes and cleaning so I don’t worry too much. But you’re right coralbandit I completely agree they are death boxes just waiting to happen!

Thedudeiam94

d4571447e04720cf2ba6bac09884de82.jpg

Advertisement

Thedudeiam94
Canisters cost 3 times as much ,they have no more flow or space in them in compare to price ?
They leak and are hard to clean . When [not if] your power fails you stand a good chance of suffocating your bacteria while what is in your canister rots ..
I have owned a few in my day ..I pitty you all thinking you are getting something better for the money ..How American it all seems !
60+ tanks maybe 50 Aquaclears ,uncountable sponge filters and 3 sumps..NO CANISTERS ..
Again show me a fish breeder/keepers room that is run on canisters ...I'll show you a not so smart keeper ...
I run an AQ70 and 110 with 2 sponges on my 65 g that has 4 fish in it ...All probably cheaper then a medium[ POS] canister ….
I know I can clean all 4 in less time then one canister and with one tenth the trouble ...

Speak of the devil and the power went out while I was at work yesterday because someone cut a tree and it took out a power line. Fish had to fend for themselves from 3pm until 6pm when I got home and still didn’t have power until after 8. Temp dropped to 83 thankfully no lower! Luckily everyone is doing fine didn’t want to change water at risk of harming bb but doing one today for sure. Got myself a inverter to hook up to a car battery max 750w should be enough to power the heater and pump. Ordering a solar generator ASAP and returning the inverter. Almost had a show on my hands!

coralbandit
People don't plan to fail ,they fail to plan ..
Any extra power source is helpful especially if user friendly .
Accidents are never planned , if they were they would be pre scheduled activities ..
Some thoughts that have crossed my mind in the fish room and while 80 feet up in the air last couple days ...

Thedudeiam94
A little video update after breakfast this morning. (For the fish and myself)

jmaldo
They look "Great".

Advertisement

Thedudeiam94
They look "Great".

Sorry for the bad quality’s this phone doesn’t take good videos. Thanks though!

86 ssinit
Discus look great. New guys look like there growing.

Thedudeiam94

47ea0bf8dc56b71b7c607e2612f0d2f9.jpg
f9b4ee309703385e361aa22e56cbafa9.jpg

BarbaraLocke
People don't plan to fail ,they fail to plan ..
Any extra power source is helpful especially if user friendly .
Accidents are never planned , if they were they would be pre scheduled activities ..
Some thoughts that have crossed my mind in the fish room and while 80 feet up in the air last couple days ...
80 feet in the air!? Either you’re a high lineman or a rock climber!

They’re all gorgeous, Thedudeiam94 !!

Advertisement

coralbandit
80 feet in the air!? Either you’re a high lineman or a rock climber!

They’re all gorgeous, Thedudeiam94 !!

I do roofs ! Spent the week at Lake Placid High School in an 80 lift with view of the Olympic skI jumps and the Adirondacks !
A generator or multiple breakers are a fish rooms friend ..

Thedudeiam94 they do look great and the excellent growth shows ..You are doing great with these guys !

BarbaraLocke
I do roofs ! Spent the week at Lake Placid High School in an 80 lift with view of the Olympic skI jumps and the Adirondacks !
A generator or multiple breakers are a fish rooms friend ..

Yikes! That’s just as bad!! Lol!
Where I live, a generator/backup power supply has become as necessary as your stove and refrigerator. I just worry that we’ll lose power in the middle of the night, and I won’t know until morning. Mine isn’t automatic - I’ve got to haul it out of the garage and get it going.

Thedudeiam94 they do look great and the excellent growth shows ..You are doing great with these guys !
Ditto!!

86 ssinit
I few pics .
DBF8AB85-6FEA-42AE-86E5-6F082486E260.jpeg
B4B02CDF-37CC-485D-89B2-78AEAFBF86E9.jpeg
38896A9B-64CC-44C7-AB04-8BB31A5E4AEC.jpeg At a different light setting.
9E2FC14D-C019-42BD-84B8-5ABFB6A7CC8C.jpeg
A17688E2-67B9-4EF8-810D-BE627C799B2E.jpeg Pic below is first with fish on top right not show stress lines .
14BCE92A-A73A-42C7-8B18-2C2636046A67.jpeg
BB275405-FDF7-4CEB-883B-0281996E739A.jpeg

aae0130
All these beautiful fish Wow!

.....and just to add to the canister discussion. I had one once. There will never be a second time. They become nitrate generators over time because they are such a pain to clean that you end up letting it go too long.

HOBs are so easy to clean that they are more likely to get done when they are supposed to. I love the Seachem Tidal line of HOBs and also the Aqua Clear line. Easy to maintain and easily customizable.

Advertisement

Thedudeiam94
View from my rocking chair. Discus and 20 long saltwater.

07328e753676bee374f603969c2e4c14.jpg

Thedudeiam94
My chickens!

b310f2b6e9c4693ee456f80b3840388e.jpg

Thedudeiam94
More of the chickens! Can definitely see the growth in some of these pics!

f401c08b933490d49b459377b25eb15f.jpg

8fe0af2189777117defff8e58db36437.jpg

eaee04666176dc0de12fae75b2bc8144.jpg

Also I apologize for the photos being so out of focus I promise they’re not that bad originally. It only distorts them once I upload them.

tiffani
More of the chickens! Can definitely see the growth in some of these pics! 215]
Also I apologize for the photos being so out of focus I promise they’re not that bad originally. It only distorts them once I upload them.

Hey
Maybe upload a video if you have time.

Advertisement

Thedudeiam94
I will try although the last video I had to upload to YouTube then post and it was still pretty distorted. Not sure why it only looks that way after it’s been uploaded..

Thedudeiam94
Lost two discus... the runts! They didn’t make it. Sadly they were outcompeted by the larger fish. So I’m down to 8. 4 blues and 4 regular pigeon blood. Not bad.. sad but not bad.. I have started feeding krill and they love it! Especially the big ones! Colors seem more vibrant as well. Still changing water every 4 days and lowered feedings to twice a day every other day and one time a day other days. Still feeding a variety of different foods. Lots of growth and some of the “new” pigeons have almost doubled in size with 2 still slightly smaller than the rest. However they all put up a good fight at feeding time! Started thawing my frozen cubes with tank water and have not had a bloat issue since then. All in all things are going well besides the two loses. But ya win some and ya lose some.. it’s part of the learning process.

Some photos of the fighters!

0df26cfca6ab8d04589c2d511da7e718.jpg

9d0c752b546d28617a3c035354a676a6.jpg

Will get more pics of them this evening as they are.

tiffani
Lost two discus... the runts! They didn’t make it. Sadly they were outcompeted by the larger fish. So I’m down to 8. 4 blues and 4 regular pigeon blood. Not bad.. sad but not bad.. I have started feeding krill and they love it! Especially the big ones! Colors seem more vibrant as well. Still changing water every 4 days and lowered feedings to twice a day every other day and one time a day other days. Still feeding a variety of different foods. Lots of growth and some of the “new” pigeons have almost doubled in size with 2 still slightly smaller than the rest. However they all put up a good fight at feeding time! Started thawing my frozen cubes with tank water and have not had a bloat issue since then. All in all things are going well besides the two loses. But ya win some and ya lose some.. it’s part of the learning process.

Some photos of the fighters!

0df26cfca6ab8d04589c2d511da7e718.jpg

9d0c752b546d28617a3c035354a676a6.jpg

Will get more pics of them this evening as they are.

Hello
I’m very sorry to hear you lost 2 discus. These were the Han’s discus? Just curious, What happened to them? So, I can learn from others.
Those discus pics are gorgeous!!! I want a yellow pigeon blood now, but I’m wait till I move mines to their new big tank.

86 ssinit
Sorry to hear of the losses. Good to see the update. Fish look great! Good color. Mine are still orange
CE7447D1-5B5E-4F90-8437-CB04B589E10E.jpeg

Advertisement

angelcraze
Sorry about the runts, but I say it's nature. I have noticed how some are out completed in fish schools. Doesn't matter, discus, angels or rams, there is always a hierarchy. Haven't found a good way to avoid it yet. Sometimes I find nature works itself out, like if there was not enough room for 10, well......maybe it was just meant to be.

Glad the others are doing so well, they look amazing and growing so quickly 8 discus is a very nice school, it'll be ok. Also love the color scheme of your school.

Thedudeiam94
angelcraze
Wow yours are really orange!!
Lighting also makes a big difference I have noticed. Depends a lot on the spectrum. Both are very pretty!

Thedudeiam94
Hello
I’m very sorry to hear you lost 2 discus. These were the Han’s discus? Just curious, What happened to them? So, I can learn from others.
Those discus pics are gorgeous!!! I want a yellow pigeon blood now, but I’m wait till I move mines to their new big tank.

I think it had something to do with bloating from beef heart possibly. Which is why I started cutting up my frozen beef heart cubes and thawing them out before feeding. Also being bullied by the larger discus had a lot of influence on it as well. I guess sometimes less is more... only the strong thrive. I will make sure that all of my future purchases are bought at the same size as my current stock from now on. I originally added 5 2.5 inch to my 5 3-4 inch fish I had grown up until that point. So my advice is it may cost more but always buy the same size fish to add to your current stock if you do so in the future.

86 ssinit photo quality makes mine look terribly blurry lol

Advertisement

angelcraze
86 ssinit photo quality makes mine look terribly blurry lol 23]
What is up with that? I haven't noticed if my pics are more blurry once uploaded. What are you using to take pics?

tiffani
Ok, I’m so sorry you lost them & they were from the breeder. I don’t feed mines beef heart at all. Mines would probably eat till they blew up, but I try to give them mostly tetra flakes, granulated, hikarI vibrabites & freeze dried food- some frozen. I’ve really cut down on the frozen, cause IMO, I think its pollutes the water fast. I can tell when their over eating- they start breathing funny.
I know mines won’t grow super fast, but they seem to be healthy, slow growing & doing well on those foods.
Your current discus are beautiful!

Thedudeiam94
What is up with that? I haven't noticed if my pics are more blurry once uploaded. What are you using to take pics?

I’m using an I phone 8. Hopefully upgrading by next year. This one has about had it. Lol I upload my pics size medium when given the option that may have something to do with it.

coralbandit
Your pics look good ? Your pics are the blue ..I can see the same color I see In my EBR..Nice IMO..
Sorry about the runts but truth be told that is why you don't remove them ..It is sometimes best to let nature take its course . A replacement shows quickly ..
Hope your 8 rock ! I have 7 out 10..2 pairs and 3 males ..You see no pairing /breeding behavior?
Nice to hear from you ..

86 ssinit
Yeah your pics looks look fine. I always do mine on the highest setting. Can only imagine what your pics will look like than . My I phone 7 took great pics.

fa4960
Sorry to hear about the loss of the runts. I have experienced it in my tank several times. It is almost as the the bottom of the hierarchy slowly drops off one by one, at least as long as they are not fully grown. In our tanks we of course see them perish but I think in nature they would be lost to predators instead so I don't think much about it in terms of things I could have done different. All the best with the remaining 8.

Thedudeiam94
Your pics look good ? Your pics are the blue ..I can see the same color I see In my EBR..Nice IMO..
Sorry about the runts but truth be told that is why you don't remove them ..It is sometimes best to let nature take its course . A replacement shows quickly ..
Hope your 8 rock ! I have 7 out 10..2 pairs and 3 males ..You see no pairing /breeding behavior?
Nice to hear from you ..

They look decent compare to 86 ssinit his look more clear. Could just be the tapatalk app. Not sure.. glad they look okay for you all though! But yes I agree. I believe even if I were to have removed them I don’t think they would have grown as much as the others. Some of the “newer” ones have almost doubled in size 4 maybe pushing 4.5 with one of the regular pigeons. Surprising how the growth rate of each fish is different when they all eat and are fed same amount yet some grow “faster” than others?
I see two that tend to cling to each other. Actually the two pictures posted above are the two. Still to early to tell if male and female but they stick together the most out of the group. No sing a of eggs or any breeding behavior. I see very little shimmy toward one another but when they do it’s usually in big body waves toward each other. Still hoping to see eggs one day but as of now I’m content with enjoying their company! glad to find some time to catch up with you all as well!

Thedudeiam94
Well thought I came into the new year with the worst happening!
Woke up at 5 am this morning with what I thought was a tank leak! Heard the pump output splashing a little louder than usual and got up to step in water! I couldn’t believe it! I had lost almost 3 to 5 gallons of water on the floor and at least two I. The container I kept my canister filter in, just Incase something like this were to ever happen and it worked wonderfully! Luckily the water that was on the floor wasn’t a lot so it was easily cleaned up with a few towels. Took the entire tank down completely and placed it outside to dry. Once it was dry I filled it back up half way with water and let it set on the dry porch to check for leaking. After a few hours of checking and monitoring I found that the tank wasn’t leaking. It seams that the canister had malfunctioned and started leaking. Thankfully everything was cleaned up and the discus are back in their home! Along with an extra piece of freshly boiled driftwood! They love it! Just goes to show that if it can happen it will happen. Fail to plan and plan to fail. Always have a plan a b and c just Incase something goes wrong! Be prepared in 2020! Lol happy new year everyone!! Hope everyone’s first day was better than mine! Lol

coralbandit
Happy New Years Hunter !
You can join the I'll never own another canister filter group anytime you want !
Glad it wasn't that bad and you worked it out ..

86 ssinit
Good to hear it wasn’t a leak and all is good again. Had a canister leak on my 90. I hate canisters! But still bought another . I just don’t learn! What type of canister is it?

jmaldo
What a start to the New Year.
Glad to hear, it was not that bad.
Lucky you are! Buy a Lottery ticket tomorrow. LOL

Without a doubt, could have been 10x worse. 30 gallon when my tank leaked.
What a nightmare, it ended up becoming.

Whoa! Thanks for sharing, reminds me I was going to pick-up some leak detectors.

tiffani
Hello
What’s a leak detector? Are you discus doing ok since you had to basically start the tank all over again?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
Fishfur
Replies
Views
Pikephillips322
Replies
Views