The Han’s Experience!

Thedudeiam94

Member
Well here it is you guys! The beginning of an awesome fishship. A few days ago I ordered Discus from Hans Discus located in Baltimore. I pre ordered my fish on Monday to arrive on Friday. I emailed Hans through the email attached to his website and asked him a few questions. He answered my questions very promptly and was more than willing to answer any other questions I might have had. I was more than pleased with his service and I decided I was going to do it, I was finally going to be the proud owner of my very own Discus fish! After looking through the fish I decided I would order 5-2.5 inch “Blue” Pigeon Blood Discus! STAY TUNED! They arrive tomorrow! Here is their new clean home!




They’re here!!!
 

nikm128

Member
Yay, excited to see them
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
After acclimating them as directed by Hans they are now in the tank! Everything is dark right now so no pictures yet but they are swimming around now! So far so good! They look way better in person than I anticipated! Super satisfied!
 

coralbandit

Member
Looking forward to seeing them .
Glad they made it safe [ I say that about 7 times a week ! ] ...
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
I also added a 10 inch air stone before placing them into the tank.
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
Good morninng everyone! The fish are doing great! They ate their first pinch of flake food! Looking way more comfortable now! Here are some photos I just took! Enjoy!!


 

coralbandit

Member
Can't wait till they fix the picture issue !
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
coralbandit said:
Can't wait till they fix the picture issue !
My apologies I know a few other members who were having trouble seeing pictures. Hopefully they get that fixed soon! The pictures don’t do them justice though. Their colors are much more vivid in person.
 

jmaldo

Member
Congrats!
They are "Beautiful".
Agree with
Thedudeiam94 said:
The pictures don’t do them justice though. Their colors are much more vivid in person.
You might consider adding a sponge filter too.
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
For when they get the problem fixed..
 

e_watson09

Member
Gah, I am going to have to go find my phone so I can see the pictures on the app haha!
 

david1978

Member
I guess that's why he's world reknowed as the best.
 

e_watson09

Member
Oh my gosh the photos were so worth finding my phone! LOL

Congrats on the gorgeous new fish
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
Can’t believe all of the color these little discus have! Excited to watch them grow and mature into absolutely stunning fish!
 

david1978

Member
Once Mike fixes the pic problem I can only imagine. But with hans rep I have no issue they are stunning fish.
 

86 ssinit

Member
Wow very nice looking!!! What are they called? Good luck with them. On a side note I think I figured out why the pictures are down here. They want us to use the app .
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
86 ssinit said:
Wow very nice looking!!! What are they called? Good luck with them. On a side note I think I figured out why the pictures are down here. They want us to use the app .
Maybe! It works for me! They are Blue Pigeon Blood Discus.
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member


Can’t wait until they grow up and look like this!!
 

angelcraze

Member
Nice! They are absoltely stunning! Had to check them out haha. I love that they are all the same color like a little discus school. They certainly are striking and grab attention.
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
They really are awesome, they peck food off the tank floor like little chickens. For the most part they swim around together. Sometimes shooting off into different directions. Then go right back to normal. Definitely interesting little fish!
 

coralbandit

Member
They are very good looking fish !
Yes , finally we have pictures !
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
coralbandit said:
They are very good looking fish !
Yes , finally we have pictures !
Wonderful!

Added some nice sized spider wood! Cleaned it and boiled it for 2 hours. Now playing the waiting game. It will take a couple more days for them sink. On the other hand, for now I actually don’t mind them floating.
 

coralbandit

Member
Thedudeiam94 said:
Added some nice sized spider wood! Cleaned it and boiled it for 2 hours. Now playing the waiting game. It will take a couple more days for them sink. On the other hand, for now I actually don’t mind them floating.
I stacked wood in my 180G so some stays at the surface like you might see in a river or nature ..
The fish actually like going under it like many might not understand ..Ever go fishing ? Where are the fish ? Around logs ,stumps and fallen trees ...
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
That’s exactly what I wanted it to look similar to for the time being. Its actually similar to what their environment would look like in the wild. Minus the murky water they would be living in. I have some suction cups I could attempt to tie the wood to to hold it at the surface like it is however I’m not sure how good it would hold once the wood becomes waterlogged.
 

tiffani

Member
How are they doing now?
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
They are doing just fine! Eating two meals a day and water-changes every other day! Still pretty spooked when someone walks by the tank but they’re getting used to it!
 

jmaldo

Member
Looking Good. It took about a week for mine to settle in and realize it was safe without darting around when I passed by the tank They even started to come up and "Greet" me, actually they figured out I was the food guy. LOL. But sadly after my mishap and move. They are jittery again, hopefully for just a few more days.
 

tiffani

Member
Great, their doing good. glad your listening to Hans, I’m sure he knows what he’s talking about. Just spend a lot of time talking to them, paying attention to them. They’ll start following you around anytime your in the room, either begging for food or attention. They will know who you are.
Discus are smart fish, I don’t get how people have these fish and they sit in the corner or behind wood/rocks all the time in those tanks. Me vacuuming the tank doesn’t phase mines at this point.
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
tiffani said:
Great, their doing good. glad your listening to Hans, I’m sure he knows what he’s talking about[ ]. Just spend a lot of time talking to them, paying attention to them. They’ll start following you around anytime your in the room, either begging for food or attention. They will know who you are.
Discus are smart fish, I don’t get how people have these fish and they sit in the corner or behind wood/rocks all the time in those tanks. Me vacuuming the tank doesn’t phase mines at this point.
Very glad! But yes, Hans said not to worry too much, he said as long as I am doing water changes, my parameters are in check and feeding them they should do just fine. Gives me piece of mind knowing he is that confident in his fish. But yeah, they are pretty skiddish still but it hasn’t even been a full week that they have been with me so I understand that. One day they will be eating right out of my fingers! Litterally! Just building that trust until then! What kind of discus do you have?
 

tiffani

Member
Honestly, idk. I purchased them as babies at lfs on impulse buy and they had no color then. Mines are in with angelfish, who really love to same parameters as discus, so that makes it easier. My tanks in my bedroom, so I can watch them a lot and maybe that’s why “little bit” is so attached to me. They come right up to my hand when I have to do water changes or move plants. My discus are not afraid of me at all. I worked for pet store when is was 19 for 3 years, but I never got them because they were so scary acting. I think it’s how people keep them & raise them makes a difference. I don’t do daily water changes, it makes mines mad/upset. I change water every 3 days or so. As long as their perimeters are consistent, they’re fine. Hardest part is feeding them, cause they have tiny mouths. These are my pets, nothing more at this time.
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
Do you have any pictures of them? I would love to work at a lfs but the only one I would want to work at is 20 minutes away and I’m already working full time so it would have to be a part time thing. If I could get in the door and start breeding and selling discus I would consider breeding them full time if I could make enough money doing it. I would much rather do something I enjoy for work than something I dread doing everyday. Around what side are your discus now?
 

tiffani

Member
Yes, I try to get a decent pic today, they run up to me @ front of tank & pics look crazy cause their so close to me. I worked in lfs years ago, but you learn a lot by working their lol. Lfs do not do all these extravagant things these people recommend and their fish live fine. They use sponge filters, they have water change system, they don’t change water every day thought, they’d go broke with electric & water bills. Keep in mind, the fish come from breeder to broker to lfs to you, that’s a **** of a trip for little fish to withstand, then you got someone changing their water every 5 minutes, it’s a wonder they die. Keep them warm, clean & consistent conditions and I promise you they won’t die on you unless they were already sick. Pay attention to them, they won’t hide in the corner all their lives. Even GBR are way more sensitive than discus, discus are just more expensive. If you ever kept saltwater fish b4, discus are easy for you.
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
Nope never kept salt water before! However this is my graduating step toward a reef tank or maybe a FOWLR. I’ve always wanted a salt water tank but never had to time or the funds to put into one until now. I plan to hold off on Saltwater for a while until I know for sure I am ready and can afford a decent size set up maybe in the next year or two, but it will become a thread on here one day! Mark my words! I’ve also became very interested in puffers and have been doing a lot of research on those! My girlfriend wants a puffer tank so I am digging up all the information I can before putting it in motion for her. Yes, I was told as long as you do regular water changes and make sure they are fed the fish will not have a problem surviving. You are right about them being expensive though! Also known as “investment fish” discus are well worth the money if you ask me! coralbandit breeds GBR if that is the case he will be set for success if/when he decides to get some discus of his own! Maybe even try a hand at breeding some one day?! Now that I would like to see!
 

nikm128

Member
tiffani said:
than the know it alls out here think they know more, lol. Lfs do not do all these extravagant things these people recommend and their fish live fine.
May I ask how we're all know it alls for contradicting your lfs experience? and how trying to grow our discus to be as big as they can grow is an "extravagant thing"? I won't try and say there isn't more than one way to keep discus, but a lot of food everyday and large water changes every 1-2 days is how you get the most potential out of them, not a way to harm or kill them. It just needs to be done because discus are basically the most sensitive freshwater fish you can raise.
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
I don’t think any disrespect was meant toward anyone. I just think it means that everyone has has their own way of doing things and some achieve success differently than others! Does that make it wrong or the “wrong way” No, absolutely not! Just because someone doesn’t share the same opinion or views as another person doesn’t make either of those two people wrong it just means that success can be achieved in many different ways, you just need to find the way that works best for you! If that way works for you then wonderful! Just don’t judge others for that persons different way of achieving their goals! We can all learn new things everyday!
 

86 ssinit

Member
I also like the wood up higher. I’ve been using suction cups to hold it up.
Yes everybody does things different. Clean water and lots of food is what they need now. As to there tiny little mouths try the freeze dried black worms. Mine that are the same size as yours love them. Also I feed mine at least 6 times a day. Small portions.
 

coralbandit

Member
Thedudeiam94 said:
You are right about them being expensive though! Also known as “investment fish” discus are well worth the money if you ask me! coralbandit breeds GBR if that is the case he will be set for success if/when he decides to get some discus of his own! Maybe even try a hand at breeding some one day?! Now that I would like to see!
If I got discus there would only be one reason ..I just keep telling myself I don't have room ...We will have to see what kind of will power I have when I go to DiscusMadness next Saturday . I have just about had other discus breeders beg me to jump into discus .They claI'm the success I have with rams and dedication to water quality basically assures me success if I find the right fish .. Not sure what their gain was going to be but I used to share a lot of info on his site so ? Few have managed but I studied a lot on 'Big Tucks' artificially hatching and raising discus so not even sure I need the level of cooperation from the fish most seem to require … I steal eggs ..I am bandit !!!

I have kept them in my 180 before [maybe 2 years] but I don't think I approached it properly .They are IMO very much like GBR. They should be in a species only tank with their specific needs being met .Maybe with rams or cards , you know the usual .But if straight out breeding is the plan then species only .. No other proper way to do it . There may be many ways but there are also good ,better and the best way to do things ..Young discus are not for idle or complacent keepers IMO. Those not up for the growing strategy should just buy grown discus ..They do not require [prefer] all the extra pampering ...What do I know though ?
 

86 ssinit

Member
You really have to be dedicated to breed them. A lot of work! But your there already. Have the tank and what is needed. You also have people to sell to. This may/ no will work for you. If interested my lfs has a pair of nice looking discus that have pair off and are ready to lay eggs.
female is cleaning the leaf in this pic male is right behind her. They are about 5-6” fish. In a 180 now with other Discus. You could get both for 180. Just something to think about. Much cheaper than what you would pay at DM.
 

coralbandit

Member
They probably don't list them but at DM they had a tank or two full of 6 inch adults from $50-75 each … No joke and they really had no glaring defects ?
The one guy there [Mike] said he thought he could sex the Altumns they had when I was talking to him ..Discus should be no problem if he is there ..He wasn't trying to sell me either ,he actually suggested I not get the altums for 2 more weeks ..He said they were in that drop dead zone still but in 2 more weeks it should be safe ..Refreshing to meet knowledge versus a car salesman mentality at a fish shop ..
I have a chosen color in my mind if I was to get discus although those do look like sweet red turqs !
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
Here they are today!


I will try to get better pictures later. But coralbandit I’m guessing that’s why they refer to you as the “bandit”! Lol niceee! As good as you are with rams I could only imagine how your discus would look! I’ve also grown a liking to the blues and yellows! If you would choose to get a breeding pair which discus would you choose?
 

coralbandit

Member
I saw a strong solid red there last time I was there that really caught my eye.. I had a hard time leaving without them and I was not interested in discus at all !
Can't find a link even on DM site that has a picture even close to what they looked like .. If I don't find something special I will wait without a doubt easily...
I want outstanding fish ,not just what was available ...Breeding quality means starting with quality in most cases..I like proven short cuts so if I expanded to discus it would be for a special variation ....
Red and blue traditionally are the most popular fish colors so from a strict breeder stand point one of those would be my choice .
People just loose control for the 'electric blue ' hue ...The list of popular fish in general is riddled with blue and red !
I am not in the heard with all as far as taste always but usually find my taste are in the upper limits of fellow crazies !
I have no hesitation paying more for quality .If fish breed it all comes back ..
Thedudeiam94 said:
I will try to get better pictures later. But coralbandit I’m guessing that’s why they refer to you as the “bandit”! Lol niceee! As good as you are with rams I could only imagine how your discus would look! I’ve also grown a liking to the blues and yellows! If you would choose to get a breeding pair which discus would you choose?
If I was not the bandit I would not have any rams ! No joke ...
Artificial hatching of some fish is a necessety ..Just too many find difficulty with discus and the rumor they have to be raised by parents keep many from trying ..Parents that all too often eat fry just like rams is what is out there ..
Most discus breeders I have spoken with say they are like 1 ram to every 100 or even thousand discus raised .They said rams were too hard !
The leap and transition to discus is not a matter of if but more when ..I am in no hurry .I am still putting effort into my rams ..
No fish of quality just raises itself and I still want higher quality rams and blacks that are not hostile or fickle like what is available at this time so I have my work cut out already ..
You guys just got me all caught up with the flurry of discus builds going on and the nice fish I see !
You could just all stop posting great discus builds and I could stay with my rams !
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
this is the type of red I would be looking for it’s as hard and pure red as I have seen just browsing photos.


These yellow


But this is like nothing I’ve ever seen before. This would be amazing!
 

Minxxy

Member
coralbandit said:
I saw a strong solid red there last time I was there that really caught my eye.. I had a hard time leaving without them and I was not interested in discus at all !
Can't find a link even on DM site that has a picture even close to what they looked like .. If I don't find something special I will wait without a doubt easily...
I want outstanding fish ,not just what was available ...Breeding quality means starting with quality in most cases..I like proven short cuts so if I expanded to discus it would be for a special variation ....
Red and blue traditionally are the most popular fish colors so from a strict breeder stand point one of those would be my choice .
People just loose control for the 'electric blue ' hue ...The list of popular fish in general is riddled with blue and red !
I am not in the heard with all as far as taste always but usually find my taste are in the upper limits of fellow crazies !
I have no hesitation paying more for quality .If fish breed it all comes back ..


If I was not the bandit I would not have any rams ! No joke ...
Artificial hatching of some fish is a necessety ..Just too many find difficulty with discus and the rumor they have to be raised by parents keep many from trying ..Parents that all too often eat fry just like rams is what is out there ..
Most discus breeders I have spoken with say they are like 1 ram to every 100 or even thousand discus raised .They said rams were too hard !
The leap and transition to discus is not a matter of if but more when ..I am in no hurry .I am still putting effort into my rams ..
No fish of quality just raises itself and I still want higher quality rams and blacks that are not hostile or fickle like what is available at this time so I have my work cut out already ..
You guys just got me all caught up with the flurry of discus builds going on and the nice fish I see !
You could just all stop posting great discus builds and I could stay with my rams !
so your saying there's a chance I could get rams AND discus from you next yearish
 

coralbandit

Member
Liking this one


Has anyone seen the long fin discus in person ?
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
 

tiffani

Member
Thedudeiam94 said:
Nope never kept salt water before! However this is my graduating step toward a reef tank or maybe a FOWLR. I’ve always wanted a salt water tank but never had to time or the funds to put into one until now. I plan to hold off on Saltwater for a while until I know for sure I am ready and can afford a decent size set up maybe in the next year or two, but it will become a thread on here one day! Mark my words! I’ve also became very interested in puffers and have been doing a lot of research on those! My girlfriend wants a puffer tank so I am digging up all the information I can before putting it in motion for her. Yes, I was told as long as you do regular water changes and make sure they are fed the fish will not have a problem surviving. You are right about them being expensive though! Also known as “investment fish” discus are well worth the money if you ask me! coralbandit breeds GBR if that is the case he will be set for success if/when he decides to get some discus of his own! Maybe even try a hand at breeding some one day?! Now that I would like to see!
Hello thedudeiam94
I bought my daughter two puffers named Kirby & Chester and we had them for 4+ years . They were brackish water green spotted puffers in with Molly’s & never ever ate the mollies, lol. Mollies can do salt or freshwater. I loved Kirby, I bought him clams & shrimp from grocery store, they are incredibly hard to keep clean cause they like live or fresh food and having to add the sea salt back into their water @ low salinity is hard and a pain. I did 75-90% water changes ever week with them two. If they didn’t like their water, their belly’s would turn black. They recently passed late last year. I love puffers, Like little water dogs .
I tried to find more brackish/freshwater puffers, we don’t have many here. I love the MBU puffer, etc. but they mostly get too big. Saltwater is hard, but not impossible to do.
 

86 ssinit

Member
My fish came today!! Wow nice looking and bigger than I expected. Will get pics up later there in the dark now .
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
86 ssinit said:
My fish came today!! Wow nice looking and bigger than I expected. Will get pics up later there in the dark now .
AWESOME! Can’t wait to see them!

coralbandit solid red? Super Red Discus | Discus Fish II | Fish, Discus aquarium, Freshwater aquarium fish
 

coralbandit

Member
Thedudeiam94 said:
coralbandit solid red?
Yea what I saw looked very similar ..Just stood out as such an unbelievable color .
That is a great picture..
I think if I do discus I will just do a pair that is grown since my schedule is busy now ..In the winter if I was still interested I could do juvis proper ..
 
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Member
coralbandit said:
Yea what I saw looked very similar ..Just stood out as such an unbelievable color .
That is a great picture..
I think if I do discus I will just do a pair that is grown since my schedule is busy now ..In the winter if I was still interested I could do juvis proper ..
Absolutely! If I came across a “flawless” red like that and it was super symmetrical I would definitely regret it if I didn’t grab it!
Either of those would definitely be something I would love to see! I fed my discus beefheart for the first time today and they tore into it pretty good, now they are all playing in the driftwood and chasing each other! Pretty neat seeing their personalities. It’s like they are playing hide and seek tag!

Good morning everyone! Here they are exploring in the driftwood!
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom