The Han’s Experience!

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So in 65 gallons I need 0.494 of pp dissolved and added to my tank to get 2 ppm for an entire tank treatment? And how long does this last? And how long until you do a water change?
Yes. 0.494g is correct if it is truly 65 Gal? You subtract some volume if you have driftwood etc.

In terms of the process you gotta read up on the links in Coralbandit's post to really understand what's going on and what kind of tools you can use if fish look stressed beyond what you would expect to see. I will outline what I have done the two times I have done it so far but please do not take this as me suddenly being the expert on PP!

1. I disconnect my sump to be on the safe side, although PP shouldn't kill the cycle (The pond guy in the links do the same...)
  2. I still need circulation in the tank to evenly spread the PP solution so I add a powerhead
  3. I pour in the PP solution on top of the powerhead
  4. Your tank should now have a nice pink look
This is an up to 4 hour bath but most likely PP will use itself up much faster. You will know that PP is used when the water turns brown instead of pink. For me it took app. 2 - 2½ hours. Now you want to do a large WC to remove the brown coloration of the water. Then you are done.

If any fish are in serious distress during the process you can eliminate PP in seconds with H2O2 at any point in the process. If the water turns brown in less than 4 hours you can supposedly repeat the treatment for a total of 3 times before you do the WC but I have not dared go that far in my initial tries.

Again, please please read up on the post and the links from Coralbandit before commencing with PP use. Although totally safe if done correctly you can do significant damage to your fish if not! You can also read my post on my first attempt - the pictures will give you an idea of how your start and end phase should look like.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Find it hard to believe they could have parasites. They came from a breeder and dudes tank is the perfect set up. Nothing in there and constant water changes. I reread the statements just before the fish died and he had done a water change and added more pothos to the cover. The fish were not eating after the change. Could have been with the water but I still believe it’s something on the pothos.
What is the reason for the pothos anyway?

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok I’m going to be the first one to say it...
Since I am a Newbie to keeping "Underwater pets" especially "Discus".
During my research. One of the most discussed topics, how to pick the best "Discus". So many different traits and opinions, at one point it had me rethinking my purchase and had my head spinning. Overall roundness, eye to body ratio, slat of head, etc..I looked at quite a few pics.and of course the pictures used as examples were adult fish and the "Best of the Best", show fish. After contacting and receiving pics/vids from 6 different breeders/suppliers of their available stock. I could see some were more round others more of a football shape. I posted most in my thread just to get some help and advice, almost like a poll. Most of the "Discus" gang responded and were very helpful. Ultimately, I went with the fish that looked the best to me along with the reviews of purchasers. It was still a roll of the dice and a tough decision.
At this point I agree with @coralbandit

will wait and see how mine go but until 6-9 months from now unless they are doing poor it matters little IMO .
Just a side note. If you would have asked me 2 years ago would I spend $400 on 8 fish?
I would have started laughing and remarked "Are you Nuts", but look at where I am now.

Just remember the old adage.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Just my .02

Oh, by the way, "Great" discussion on the "PP" treatment, I have purchased the "PP" and have a scale on the way.

Last edited:
OP
Thedudeiam94

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Did a water change and started feeding a little bit of everything. They seem to be doing a lot better. Added more prazipro with my water change. Did fed them some frozen brine shrimp this morning and it was gone in the first 15 mins. Everyone is swimming together and eating (I had to watch the smallest one to make sure) also removed the pothos from the lid when I got home from work yesterday. Things look pretty good so far but I’m not holding my breath. I am pretty confident I’ve got a better understanding and somewhat have my “situation” “under control.” Lol I hope!

Yes. 0.494g is correct if it is truly 65 Gal? You subtract some volume if you have driftwood etc.

In terms of the process you gotta read up on the links in Coralbandit's post to really understand what's going on and what kind of tools you can use if fish look stressed beyond what you would expect to see. I will outline what I have done the two times I have done it so far but please do not take this as me suddenly being the expert on PP!

1. I disconnect my sump to be on the safe side, although PP shouldn't kill the cycle (The pond guy in the links do the same...)
  2. I still need circulation in the tank to evenly spread the PP solution so I add a powerhead
  3. I pour in the PP solution on top of the powerhead
  4. Your tank should now have a nice pink look
This is an up to 4 hour bath but most likely PP will use itself up much faster. You will know that PP is used when the water turns brown instead of pink. For me it took app. 2 - 2½ hours. Now you want to do a large WC to remove the brown coloration of the water. Then you are done.

If any fish are in serious distress during the process you can eliminate PP in seconds with H2O2 at any point in the process. If the water turns brown in less than 4 hours you can supposedly repeat the treatment for a total of 3 times before you do the WC but I have not dared go that far in my initial tries.

Again, please please read up on the post and the links from Coralbandit before commencing with PP use. Although totally safe if done correctly you can do significant damage to your fish if not! You can also read my post on my first attempt - the pictures will give you an idea of how your start and end phase should look like.
I can’t jump into using it yet because I don’t have any so no need to worry! However how would you know how much volume to compensate for driftwood? It is a 65 gallon for sure (when completely full) I loos about 1/4 inch to evap in about 24hrs with the lid on. I wouldn’t want to remove the driftwood because it has finally sank except one I’m still waiting on which is very close.

Last edited by a moderator:

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I can’t jump into using it yet because I don’t have any so no need to worry! However how would you know how much volume to compensate for driftwood? It is a 65 gallon for sure (when completely full) I loos about 1/4 inch to evap in about 24hrs with the lid on. I wouldn’t want to remove the driftwood because it has finally sank except one I’m still waiting on which is very close.
Maybe you just go 60 Gal to be on the safe side, or you go 65 Gal and 1 ppm in your first try. Key is not to overdose and be on the safe side until you have seen the first time reaction in the tank and hence get a better feeling for how it works timewise.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The driftwood likely will be like a sponge and use up /expend the PP quicker ..
I would leave it in so you can start to understand how to treat the tank on the regular..
I would not mix by dry weight myself even with my understanding ..
Mixing into the solution allows for easy proper dosing and dissolution in the tank ..

OP
Thedudeiam94

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would leave it in so you can start to understand how to treat the tank on the regular..
Mixing into the solution allows for easy proper dosing and dissolution in the tank ..
How would you do it your way? So far the prazipro seems to be doing well fish have really calmed down a lot, all are eating well. Looking at PP on amazon to get the hang of regular dosing! Got a part time offer at a lfs on weekends! Haven’t decided when to start though! Going to help her really get things going and make the place a lot better. Has a lot of potential and I was talking with her and said in the near future I would work part time if she was interested. She insisted! So I’ll let you guys know when that comes about. Just a few fw tanks and some salt with no fish.

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Agree on the wood, both leaving it in and it acting as a PP sponge. I have a lot of wood in my tank and I definitely think it was part of the reason the PP "disappeared" well inside the 4 hours. The other downside of all my wood is the excellent hiding places for all kinds of organic debris which further reduce the effectiveness of the PP on the fish, maybe even to an extend where it helps little with the fish's health as PP will be oxidizing the organics before anything else. This weekend I will take some of the wood out, clean it for debris and algae, then vacuum the substrate before doing the PP treatment.

Just to clarify my "dry mixing". I do make a solution, it just happens to be a "one dose" solution. Partly due to the amount I need and also because I currently only treat one tank this works well for me. I can also see that the crystals take a little time to dissolve, so in order not to have them dropping to the floor of the tank I agree it is a must to dissolve them completely before adding PP to the tank.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey, Guys
Got the "PP" and the scale. Since I have 4 tanks, I am going to mix up a solution 7.5g to 100 mls of water. The dosing, seems easy enough 1 drop per gal for 1ppm and 2 drops per gal for 2ppm. As mentioned will try it on the 10g (actual 9g) with the Hatchet fish, first treatment at 1ppm. So 9 drops.

Also, the plants I just got, I will give a bath in a 1/2 gal bucket, so I could use 4 drops to ensure no snails/hitchhikers.

Correct?

Last edited:

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey, Guys
Got the "PP" and the scale. Since I have 4 tanks, I am going to mix up a solution 7.5g to 100 mls of water. The dosing, seems easy enough 1 drop per gal for 1ppm and 2 drops per gal for 2ppm. As mentioned will try it on the 10g (actual 9g) with the Hatchet fish, first treatment at 1ppm. So 9 drops.

Also, the plants I just got, I will give a bath in a 1/2 gal bucket, so I could use 4 drops to ensure no snails/hitchhikers.

Correct?
You are all set ! Keep H2O2 close by ..
Pull Bio media out to be safe if possible and then have at it .

Ok been debating this pp treatment. I’m just not into using meds. Now will the pp kill snails?? My tanks all have snails in them!! I’m a big fan of mts snails.
It is not just to be used as a med ..It really does more then treat issues .
Many in Asia are using PP weekly in the million dollar Kio contest ..It is rumored [no rumor in my fish room ] to aid in fish growth ..Yes makes fish grow better !
The link by Dr. Roddy in the PP thread is the best place to start reading if you are interested in using PP..

OP
Thedudeiam94

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes driftwood finally. Lol fish are doing great no scratching or shaking or erratic swimming. Everything looks good!

Does anyone have the brilliant turqs if so can you post some pics below! I’m looking at those also!

Last edited by a moderator:

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Coral is this treatment good with snails? I have mts in my tanks and if it kills snails I may have hundreds of dead snails and the problems that go with that. Thanks.
My experience is it does not kill snails .
The idea is to start slow and low so you don't need to be all ready for disaster,just minor errors !
I would mix up some solution [the stuff is not to be fooled with] and then dose your tank to 2ppm [2 drops per gallon] with bio pulled from filters but left running .
If it last over 2 hours I would be very surprised .When ever it expires which is easily noted by color change from purple to yellow/brown conduct your large normal water change of 50% + and add some extra prime[2x dose ] or with H2O2 @ 1ml per gallon ..
Clearest water you will ever see !
I do it before water change to make it convenient ..
Once you understand no really need for water change at all, just convert it with H2O2 and done !
With stronger longer dosing it may effect snails ,but I never had an issue and have plenty of MTS..
It may kill eggs from snails or very small young snails.The size thing is the factor.Stronger kills bigger with any organism and PP..

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes driftwood finally. Lol fish are doing great no scratching or shaking or erratic swimming. Everything looks good!

Does anyone have the brilliant turqs if so can you post some pics below! I’m looking at those also!
I posted some stills and a video on the day I got my 2 turqs and 2 Flachens. They’re the 2.5-3” size, but you can see their color patterns already. Here’s the link to the thread: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/starting-a-125-discus-tank.408750/ My pix are on page 11. I’m super pleased with both the fish, and my experience ordering from Hans. I’ll get some more pix of just the turqs ASAP, but I’m currently dealing with my sister going into hospice, so I haven’t been able to spend much time here in the forum.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom