The Han’s Experience!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like HOBS over canisters any day probably any brand ...
Sumps are for big tanks IMO. Any tank under 75 g can be run well without a sump .

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sumps are for big tanks IMO. Any tank under 75 g can be run well without a sump .
Elaborate on why that is? I would like to know your reasoning behind your decision.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Canisters cost 3 times as much ,they have no more flow or space in them in compare to price ?
They leak and are hard to clean . When [not if] your power fails you stand a good chance of suffocating your bacteria while what is in your canister rots ..
I have owned a few in my day ..I pitty you all thinking you are getting something better for the money ..How American it all seems !
60+ tanks maybe 50 Aquaclears ,uncountable sponge filters and 3 sumps..NO CANISTERS ..
Again show me a fish breeder/keepers room that is run on canisters ...I'll show you a not so smart keeper ...
I run an AQ70 and 110 with 2 sponges on my 65 g that has 4 fish in it ...All probably cheaper then a medium[ POS] canister ….
I know I can clean all 4 in less time then one canister and with one tenth the trouble ...

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually intended on running an AQ70 on my 20 long sw tank when I get around to setting that up. I’m not a fan of canisters that much. I don’t mind them but I wouldn’t recommend them. Unless you replace the filter floss once a month they get so nasty imo they’re more of a hassle to clean than they are to run. Don’t add enough wv to make it worth it IMO either much rather have a sump. But I still like my sponge filters. Worse comes to worse with the canister i could probably rely on my sponges and bio-bag to keep the tank pretty healthy. I stay pretty on top of water changes and cleaning so I don’t worry too much. But you’re right @coralbandit I completely agree they are death boxes just waiting to happen!

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Canisters cost 3 times as much ,they have no more flow or space in them in compare to price ?
They leak and are hard to clean . When [not if] your power fails you stand a good chance of suffocating your bacteria while what is in your canister rots ..
I have owned a few in my day ..I pitty you all thinking you are getting something better for the money ..How American it all seems !
60+ tanks maybe 50 Aquaclears ,uncountable sponge filters and 3 sumps..NO CANISTERS ..
Again show me a fish breeder/keepers room that is run on canisters ...I'll show you a not so smart keeper ...
I run an AQ70 and 110 with 2 sponges on my 65 g that has 4 fish in it ...All probably cheaper then a medium[ POS] canister ….
I know I can clean all 4 in less time then one canister and with one tenth the trouble ...
Speak of the devil and the power went out while I was at work yesterday because someone cut a tree and it took out a power line. Fish had to fend for themselves from 3pm until 6pm when I got home and still didn’t have power until after 8. Temp dropped to 83 thankfully no lower! Luckily everyone is doing fine didn’t want to change water at risk of harming bb but doing one today for sure. Got myself a inverter to hook up to a car battery max 750w should be enough to power the heater and pump. Ordering a solar generator ASAP and returning the inverter. Almost had a show on my hands!

Last edited by a moderator:

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
People don't plan to fail ,they fail to plan ..
Any extra power source is helpful especially if user friendly .
Accidents are never planned , if they were they would be pre scheduled activities ..
Some thoughts that have crossed my mind in the fish room and while 80 feet up in the air last couple days ...

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey coral bandit
I apologize for my ignorance on this subject, but many many yrs ago Ive used undergravel, sponge, HOB’s & trickle filters. Trickles are excellent biological filters, so so chemical & mechanical. IYO- What exactly is a sump? Is it what trickle filters sit in? Or it’s own larger separate filter?
I mostly hear about sumps on saltwater tanks.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey coral bandit
I apologize for my ignorance on this subject, but many many yrs ago Ive used undergravel, sponge, HOB’s & trickle filters. Trickles are excellent biological filters, so so chemical & mechanical. IYO- What exactly is a sump? Is it what trickle filters sit in? Or it’s own larger separate filter?
I mostly hear about sumps on saltwater tanks.
Sumps are just a trickle or wet dry filter .Some can be large or have custom baffles to channel water .
Media ,equipment and just about anything can go in the sump if it is big enough ..
I have bought sumps most would use for marine but besides the baffle it really is not a big difference.
Some just use an overflow from tank and a plastic bin to add volume and the goodies ??
If there is an official definition of sump I am sure I just murdered it !
My 180g ,120g marine and 75g paladarium are my only sumps now ..Each one is vastly different in design but they all do basically the same thing ..

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
People don't plan to fail ,they fail to plan ..
Any extra power source is helpful especially if user friendly .
Accidents are never planned , if they were they would be pre scheduled activities ..
Some thoughts that have crossed my mind in the fish room and while 80 feet up in the air last couple days ...
80 feet in the air!? Either you’re a high lineman or a rock climber!

They’re all gorgeous, @Thedudeiam94 !!

Last edited by a moderator:

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
80 feet in the air!? Either you’re a high lineman or a rock climber!

They’re all gorgeous, @Thedudeiam94 !!
I do roofs ! Spent the week at Lake Placid High School in an 80 lift with view of the Olympic ski jumps and the Adirondacks !
A generator or multiple breakers are a fish rooms friend ..

@Thedudeiam94 they do look great and the excellent growth shows ..You are doing great with these guys !

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I do roofs ! Spent the week at Lake Placid High School in an 80 lift with view of the Olympic ski jumps and the Adirondacks !
A generator or multiple breakers are a fish rooms friend ..

Yikes! That’s just as bad!! :emoji_fearful: Lol!
Where I live, a generator/backup power supply has become as necessary as your stove and refrigerator. I just worry that we’ll lose power in the middle of the night, and I won’t know until morning. Mine isn’t automatic - I’ve got to haul it out of the garage and get it going.

@Thedudeiam94 they do look great and the excellent growth shows ..You are doing great with these guys !
Ditto!!

aae0130

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All these beautiful fish :wideyed: Wow!

.....and just to add to the canister discussion. I had one once. There will never be a second time. They become nitrate generators over time because they are such a pain to clean that you end up letting it go too long.

HOBs are so easy to clean that they are more likely to get done when they are supposed to. I love the Seachem Tidal line of HOBs and also the Aqua Clear line. Easy to maintain and easily customizable.

Last edited:

Top Bottom