The Han’s Experience!

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
Wow yours did grow!! Looks like they’re twice the size of the new ones . All look good! Congrats!
Honestly they are 3 or 4x’s the size of them!!! I was actually shocked and a little concerned! Lol have to keep a close eye on them but everything seems to have calmed down and the bigger discus only seem to bother the other larger discus! Fingers crossed 1694] it’s stays that way! But man do they look good! Love the additional blue his markings are awesome! They’re already all eating and right next to the big ones when its feeding time. Little ones aren’t shy at all! Just still blows my mind that mine were that little when I started the last time!!

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
coralbandit said:
They look GREAT !
Seeing a smaller eating while large are around is a good sign IMO ..
Tbh they get right up in there! Right in the middle of the madness! I was surprised that they weren’t even slightly fazed by the larger discus! Do you think doing the pp treatment at 1 ppm would be safe for the 2.5 inch?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say wait on the pp. give them a week or 2 to get used to the tank. That’s just me though. Remember I still haven’t done it yet.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m waiting for a while lol couple weeks as long as everything is running smoothly. Keeping my eye on them close though!

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Decided to place a bag of bio-balls above my 55 sponge filter under the canister output. Bio-balls need good flow to allow better growth of bb which is why I placed it above my sponge filter bubbles. It allows the bubbles to travel through the bag of bio-balls at least creating some sort of “flow” I guess you could say. Considering getting another canister to add to the tank later once the rest of the discus grow a few inches. Water Paramus are still spot on! Low nitrates and ammonia, ph stays consistent. Forgot to get a pic this morning but will get one after work. Also bought some of the omega one cichlids food cubes. Says they have mainly fish and shrimp eggs. I’ll have to get exact ingredients later! So far they are eating it. Hesitate at first but fed them two yesterday and one again this morning. Not too interested unless I hold the cube. So that is a work in progress. Just got more brine shrimp (this time with spirulina) and more blood worms along the cichlid formula. Keeping their diet exposed to different foods. Seem like everything is working out and they are doing well!

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thedudeiam94 said:
Decided to place a bag of bio-balls above my 55 sponge filter under the canister output. Bio-balls need good flow to allow better growth of bb which is why I placed it above my sponge filter bubbles. It allows the bubbles to travel through the bag of bio-balls at least creating some sort of “flow” I guess you could say. Considering getting another canister to add to the tank later once the rest of the discus grow a few inches.
Hmm...Creative, planning ahead.
:emoji_thumbsup:I like it.
Now you got me thinking about my upgrade in 6-8 weeks.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
jmaldo said:
Hmm...Creative, planning ahead.
:emoji_thumbsup:I like it.
Now you got me thinking about my upgrade in 6-8 weeks.
Would much rather be safe than sorry! Always a good idea to plan ahead! Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thedudeiam94 said:
Would much rather be safe than sorry! Always a good idea to plan ahead! Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!
You got to get yourself a sump Dude, so much easier to plan ahead. I have loads of extra bio media in there, mainly for the hospital tank when needed. If I had many tanks being taken up and down regularly I could handle it all from the sump of one (big) tank.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Bag of bio-balls above bubble filter and slightly into output of canister. Have three more bags same sizes hoping to get another canister filter soon. Probably next month or two if growth stays steady. 1694]1694]
d6a25159f15b880711542a6f664dac41.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I shutter every time I hear someone I like say canister ...
Please name and show video of real fish keepers and their rooms running canisters ?
Never mind it won't change my mind ..One power failure and you have a container full of poison and dead bio media .I guess besides that and all the problems people have with them ,the ease of cleaning they are ok ?:stop:
Your fish look great ..Turn left !:snaphappy:

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would much rather have a sump however I don’t have the space for one yet so sadly this is what I’m stuck with for the time being. However I replace the filter floss once a month every month so it stays pretty clean honestly. Although I’m not a fan of not being able to clean the inside of the head where the impeller is located. That’s where my main concern is if anything bad we’re to happen in the future. It’s impossible to clean unless you run bleach water through the canister in a bucket of water to “clean clean” them if needed. I’ve been doing my research on sumps though! the time will come!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom