The Han’s Experience!

tiffani

Valued Member
Messages
174
Reaction score
96
Points
38
Experience
More than 10 years
They are all nice looking discus, but the pigeon blues are gorgeous. They all look happy & healthy!
 

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Messages
3,091
Reaction score
4,293
Points
308
Experience
3 years
Congrats! on the new acquisitions.
:emoji_thumbsup:Looking Good!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Messages
844
Reaction score
1,133
Points
153
Decided to place a bag of bio-balls above my 55 sponge filter under the canister output. Bio-balls need good flow to allow better growth of bb which is why I placed it above my sponge filter bubbles. It allows the bubbles to travel through the bag of bio-balls at least creating some sort of “flow” I guess you could say. Considering getting another canister to add to the tank later once the rest of the discus grow a few inches. Water Paramus are still spot on! Low nitrates and ammonia, ph stays consistent. Forgot to get a pic this morning but will get one after work. Also bought some of the omega one cichlids food cubes. Says they have mainly fish and shrimp eggs. I’ll have to get exact ingredients later! So far they are eating it. Hesitate at first but fed them two yesterday and one again this morning. Not too interested unless I hold the cube. So that is a work in progress. Just got more brine shrimp (this time with spirulina) and more blood worms along the cichlid formula. Keeping their diet exposed to different foods. Seem like everything is working out and they are doing well!
 

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Messages
3,091
Reaction score
4,293
Points
308
Experience
3 years
Thedudeiam94 said:
Decided to place a bag of bio-balls above my 55 sponge filter under the canister output. Bio-balls need good flow to allow better growth of bb which is why I placed it above my sponge filter bubbles. It allows the bubbles to travel through the bag of bio-balls at least creating some sort of “flow” I guess you could say. Considering getting another canister to add to the tank later once the rest of the discus grow a few inches.
Hmm...Creative, planning ahead.
:emoji_thumbsup:I like it.
Now you got me thinking about my upgrade in 6-8 weeks.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Messages
844
Reaction score
1,133
Points
153
jmaldo said:
Hmm...Creative, planning ahead.
:emoji_thumbsup:I like it.
Now you got me thinking about my upgrade in 6-8 weeks.
Would much rather be safe than sorry! Always a good idea to plan ahead! Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

9cda190d35b83ce1a6db76cbfb6019bc.jpg

bb51538b9e140a61f8137317cc9af3da.jpg
d53cc7c80e377f58dd5b44182d21781e.jpg

03ab2ad2879bdbdff22a2bd8b4cc2e2c.jpg
 

fa4960

Well Known Member
Messages
616
Reaction score
534
Points
128
Experience
5 years
Thedudeiam94 said:
Would much rather be safe than sorry! Always a good idea to plan ahead! Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!
You got to get yourself a sump Dude, so much easier to plan ahead. I have loads of extra bio media in there, mainly for the hospital tank when needed. If I had many tanks being taken up and down regularly I could handle it all from the sump of one (big) tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Messages
844
Reaction score
1,133
Points
153
9cda190d35b83ce1a6db76cbfb6019bc.jpg

bb51538b9e140a61f8137317cc9af3da.jpg
d53cc7c80e377f58dd5b44182d21781e.jpg

03ab2ad2879bdbdff22a2bd8b4cc2e2c.jpg


Lol just realized it looks like I got mug shots of my fish lol

Bag of bio-balls above bubble filter and slightly into output of canister. Have three more bags same sizes hoping to get another canister filter soon. Probably next month or two if growth stays steady.
d6a25159f15b880711542a6f664dac41.jpg
 

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,368
Reaction score
9,338
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
I shutter every time I hear someone I like say canister ...
Please name and show video of real fish keepers and their rooms running canisters ?
Never mind it won't change my mind ..One power failure and you have a container full of poison and dead bio media .I guess besides that and all the problems people have with them ,the ease of cleaning they are ok ?:stop:
Your fish look great ..Turn left !:snaphappy:
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Messages
844
Reaction score
1,133
Points
153
I would much rather have a sump however I don’t have the space for one yet so sadly this is what I’m stuck with for the time being. However I replace the filter floss once a month every month so it stays pretty clean honestly. Although I’m not a fan of not being able to clean the inside of the head where the impeller is located. That’s where my main concern is if anything bad we’re to happen in the future. It’s impossible to clean unless you run bleach water through the canister in a bucket of water to “clean clean” them if needed. I’ve been doing my research on sumps though! the time will come!
 

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,368
Reaction score
9,338
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
I like HOBS over canisters any day probably any brand ...
Sumps are for big tanks IMO. Any tank under 75 g can be run well without a sump .
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Messages
844
Reaction score
1,133
Points
153
coralbandit said:
I like HOBS over canisters any day probably any brand ...
Sumps are for big tanks IMO. Any tank under 75 g can be run well without a sump .
Elaborate on why that is? I would like to know your reasoning behind your decision.
 

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,368
Reaction score
9,338
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Canisters cost 3 times as much ,they have no more flow or space in them in compare to price ?
They leak and are hard to clean . When [not if] your power fails you stand a good chance of suffocating your bacteria while what is in your canister rots ..
I have owned a few in my day ..I pitty you all thinking you are getting something better for the money ..How American it all seems !
60+ tanks maybe 50 Aquaclears ,uncountable sponge filters and 3 sumps..NO CANISTERS ..
Again show me a fish breeder/keepers room that is run on canisters ...I'll show you a not so smart keeper ...
I run an AQ70 and 110 with 2 sponges on my 65 g that has 4 fish in it ...All probably cheaper then a medium[ POS] canister ….
I know I can clean all 4 in less time then one canister and with one tenth the trouble ...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Messages
844
Reaction score
1,133
Points
153
I actually intended on running an AQ70 on my 20 long Saltwater tank when I get around to setting that up. I’m not a fan of canisters that much. I don’t mind them but I wouldn’t recommend them. Unless you replace the filter floss once a month they get so nasty imo they’re more of a hassle to clean than they are to run. Don’t add enough wv to make it worth it IMO either much rather have a sump. But I still like my sponge filters. Worse comes to worse with the canister i could probably rely on my sponges and bio-bag to keep the tank pretty healthy. I stay pretty on top of water changes and cleaning so I don’t worry too much. But you’re right coralbandit I completely agree they are death boxes just waiting to happen!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Messages
844
Reaction score
1,133
Points
153
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Messages
844
Reaction score
1,133
Points
153
coralbandit said:
Canisters cost 3 times as much ,they have no more flow or space in them in compare to price ?
They leak and are hard to clean . When [not if] your power fails you stand a good chance of suffocating your bacteria while what is in your canister rots ..
I have owned a few in my day ..I pitty you all thinking you are getting something better for the money ..How American it all seems !
60+ tanks maybe 50 Aquaclears ,uncountable sponge filters and 3 sumps..NO CANISTERS ..
Again show me a fish breeder/keepers room that is run on canisters ...I'll show you a not so smart keeper ...
I run an AQ70 and 110 with 2 sponges on my 65 g that has 4 fish in it ...All probably cheaper then a medium[ POS] canister ….
I know I can clean all 4 in less time then one canister and with one tenth the trouble ...
Speak of the devil and the power went out while I was at work yesterday because someone cut a tree and it took out a power line. Fish had to fend for themselves from 3pm until 6pm when I got home and still didn’t have power until after 8. Temp dropped to 83 thankfully no lower! Luckily everyone is doing fine didn’t want to change water at risk of harming bb but doing one today for sure. Got myself a inverter to hook up to a car battery max 750w should be enough to power the heater and pump. Ordering a solar generator ASAP and returning the inverter. Almost had a show on my hands!
 

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,368
Reaction score
9,338
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
People don't plan to fail ,they fail to plan ..
Any extra power source is helpful especially if user friendly .
Accidents are never planned , if they were they would be pre scheduled activities ..
Some thoughts that have crossed my mind in the fish room and while 80 feet up in the air last couple days ...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Messages
844
Reaction score
1,133
Points
153
A little video update after breakfast this morning. (For the fish and myself)
 

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Messages
3,091
Reaction score
4,293
Points
308
Experience
3 years
They look "Great".
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Messages
844
Reaction score
1,133
Points
153
jmaldo said:
They look "Great".
Sorry for the bad quality’s this phone doesn’t take good videos. Thanks though!
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,086
Reaction score
4,489
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Discus look great. New guys look like there growing.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom